Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgages - who's lending?

Options
  • 02-03-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Myself and my girlfriend are set to buy a house. We need to borrow approximately 50% of the purchase price and despite getting mortgage approval, the bank has said it plans to withhold approximately 15% of the drawdown amount because we included the cost of construction work in our application. They've said that due to the fact that the structure of the house will change, they will not release 15% of the money since they will need to assess the property to ensure its value has been upheld once work has been finished i.e. protect their investment.

Can anyone tell me if this is common practice and if so, will it jeopardise our application if we now go back to the bank and say we no longer wish to proceed with construction work?

Also, can anyone out there tell me which banks are currently lending?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

dudwell wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend are set to buy a house. We need to borrow approximately 50% of the purchase price and despite getting mortgage approval, the bank has said it plans to withhold approximately 15% of the drawdown amount because we included the cost of construction work in our application. They've said that due to the fact that the structure of the house will change, they will not release 15% of the money since they will need to assess the property to ensure its value has been upheld once work has been finished i.e. protect their investment.

Can anyone tell me if this is common practice and if so, will it jeopardise our application if we now go back to the bank and say we no longer wish to proceed with construction work?

Also, can anyone out there tell me which banks are currently lending?

just got approved by boi for a decent mortgage. the rest either wouldnt give me anything or approved me for a small amount.

Advertisement