Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Of The Year 2012/2013

• 02-03-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

It's coming to the time of the year now when the talk starts of who will win POTY 2013. There's the 3 main stand out players this year, RVP, Suarez & Bale.

RVP has scored goals consistently all season. It's what he was bought to do and it is what he has done. Because of his goals, mainly, United are probably gonna win the league. He has won them the majority of their points. He has won them some of their biggest matches, including the 3-2 at Eastlands. I don't need to mention that stat, we've heard it a lot all season.

Suarez has scored goals consistently all season, and more. He is the current top scorer in the league and he has also tops the charts in terms of creating chances for his team mates. All this while playing for a team sitting in 7th place in the league. Something you wouldn't expect, but then again this is Luis Suarez. Some of the goals he has scored have been nothing short of sublime. He probably should win this award, but won't because of the negative image he has. He has been the best footballer this season though, in my opinion, and this is a footballing award.

And then there's Gareth ' best in the world TM in the EPL ©' Bale. I've been a critic of him before, and his over-hyped-ness. But this season he has been excellent, particularly in the past few months where his goalscoring record has improved massively. He probably will win the award, as he is the media darling. He won the YPOTY after he scored in 2 games in the CL after all! :P In fairness, he would be deserving winner of the award if the other 2 weren't here, as they both have had better seasons.

So who would ye pick, and who do ye think it will be? Perhaps mods can set up a poll?

POTY 2012/2013 430 votes

Robin Van Persie
    0% 0 votes
    Luis Suarez
    35% 152 votes
    Gareth Bale
    43% 185 votes
    Michu
    11% 51 votes
    Juan Mata
    4% 20 votes
    Santi Cazorla
    4% 18 votes
    Other
    0% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'd say Bale will get it but RvP and Suarez have been better over the course of the season so far.
    There's not much in it between the 2 but RvP shades it for me for the sheer importance of his goals in the big games.

Edit: There's an option to add a poll yourself btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

RVP will win it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Not a chance of Suarez winning this even if he deserves to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Difference between RVP and Suarez for me is that RVP constantly delivers in United's big games. Suarez' is a smashing player, and his return isn't exactly shabby in big games either, but RVP clearly outperforms him in them.

In games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and Liverpool, RVP has 7 goals and 2 assists in 9 games.

In games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and United, Suarez has 4 goals and 0 assists in 9 games.

Bale could well get it too. He's been amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think Suarez deserves it.

There I have said it (changed my mind over past few weeks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bale hasn't even been near RVP and Suarez's level this season. Sickening to see him favourite.

I'd give it to RVP but Suarez has very legitimate claims also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bramble or Cuellar for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bale will get it just for being British

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I know this isn't the most logically sound method going, but I like to look at the contribution of goals.

RVP - His goals were worth 23 points to Utd this year.

Bale - His goals gave Spurs 16 points.

Suarez - His goals were worth 8 points to Liverpool.

Looking at that in terms of % of overall team points tallies,

RVP - 32%
    Bale - 31%
    Suarez - 19%

So RVP would edge it for me.

(And rather interestingly, as an aside, were you to add 23 points to Arsenal's current tally they'd be only a point behind United)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

1. Suarez
    2. Bale
    3. RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

How do you add a poll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Difference between RVP and Suarez for me is that RVP constantly delivers in United's big games. Suarez' is a smashing player, and his return isn't exactly shabby in big games either, but RVP clearly outperforms him in them.

In games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and Liverpool, RVP has 7 goals and 2 assists in 9 games.

In games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and United, Suarez has 4 goals and 0 assists in 9 games.

Bale could well get it too. He's been amazing.

Its way too early in my opinion to even have this debate. Lets wait until May...

But I also just wanted to say, Suarez is playing in a team that has been a mid table team most of the season. Stats are unfair to Suarez.

And no Michu?

How do you add a poll?
    Go to thread tools iirc

Suarez or RvP. Not much between them.

I would say it'll be Bale or RvP though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mata has been as good as Bale until Bale exploded recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What one is this anyway, the players vote or the journalists?

JPA wrote: »
    Mata has been as good as Bale until Bale exploded recently.
    Mata has been better than Bale.

monkey9 wrote: »
    What one is this anyway, the players vote or the journalists?

Um, just the OP I think!

Mata has been very good alright, I added him in there, along with a few more. I just went with the main 3 players people have been talking about.

Actually, I would love to hear why Luis Suarez shouldn't win it, based on footballing reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Suarez for me - I like RVP, but Suarez has had a slightly greater impact this year for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Michael Carrick for me, RVP wouldn't be having such a great season if it wasn't for Carrick controlling games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think RVP is going to win it but I'd pick Juan Mata who for me is the best player in the Premier League right now. After those two I think Bale and Michu are next and then Suarez.

I really don't get all these people saying Suarez should get it. I don't think he is even close to it and I've nothing against Liverpool before somebody suggests I have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Michael Carrick for me, RVP wouldn't be having such a great season if it wasn't for Carrick controlling games.

Carrick has been great. But Suarez is unreal. Not just cause he got a hattrick today btw.
    Everything about his game is awesome, and his goals even make it more obvious Suarez should win it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think RVP is going to win it but I'd pick Juan Mata who for me is the best player in the Premier League right now. After those two I think Bale and Michu are next and then Suarez.

I really don't get all these people saying Suarez should get it. I don't think he is even close to it and I've nothing against Liverpool before somebody suggests I have.

The league's top scorer is not even close?! Eh!

You don't think the league's top scorer and top chance creator is even close to winning the player of the year? :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Too close to call between Suarez and RvP. Bale has been on fire lately, but doesn't deserve it over the course of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Between RVP and Suarez I think. RVP edges it given his performances in big games. The majority of his goals have been of huge importance, whereas Suarez has padded his stats a little when Liverpool have been coasting. Suarez has been amazing also though and would be a runaway winner in a normal year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Suarez deserves it doubt he'll get it though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote: »
    The league's top scorer is not even close?! Eh!
    Goals are only part of what you are looking for I think. In fact Juan Mata has less goals than anybody I mentioned in my post.

He has a good few assists but even more than that he is involved in nearly everything right that Chelsea do. I've often seen him make a run and take two defenders with him which opens space for other players. I've seen him set up moves but not be involved as scorer or provider.

Suarez is scoring a lot of goals but he isn't doing a lot else. And he seems to need a lot of chances to get on the scoresheet. I'm not completely dismissing him but I just don't see how he could be rated as highly as the others I mention. I'd have him 5th best this season in the player of the season stakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Suarez is scoring a lot of goals but he isn't doing a lot else.

Really????

Goals are only part of what you are looking for I think. In fact Juan Mata has less goals than anybody I mentioned in my post.

He has a good few assists but even more than that he is involved in nearly everything right that Chelsea do. I've often seen him make a run and take two defenders with him which opens space for other players. I've seen him set up moves but not be involved as scorer or provider.

Suarez is scoring a lot of goals but he isn't doing a lot else. And he seems to need a lot of chances to get on the scoresheet. I'm not completely dismissing him but I just don't see how he could be rated as highly as the others I mention. I'd have him 5th best this season in the player of the season stakes.

Scoring goals but not doing much else?
    Apart from working his arse off and being the focal point and frequently Liverpools only threat?
    I have to say I think you're dead wrong.

Two goals shy of 30 for the season and he's not even close to it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I literally couldn't disagree more with that. You're right that he isn't nearly as clinical a finisher as RvP, but Suarez all round game is excellent, there are few better in the world nevermind the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RVP > Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Mata 17 goals from midfield, hes my POTY

• Advertisement

Controversial opinion for the sake of controversy. Mata ahead of RVP and Suarez is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

IvySlayer wrote: »
    RVP > Suarez

Not based on this season which the award is going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I think Mata, RVP or Suarez would be deserving, but I can see Bale getting it because of the media coverage hes getting and because of the constant comparisons with Messi and Ronaldo

I think its fair to say that pretty much every Liverpool fan is going to pick Suarez and every United fan is going to pick RVP, and given the margins that are between them, thats understandable. The Suarez vs RVP 2012/13 debate has no correct answer.

CSF wrote: »
    I think its fair to say that pretty much every Liverpool fan is going to pick Suarez and every United fan is going to pick RVP, and given the margins that are between them, thats understandable. The Suarez vs RVP 2012/13 debate has no correct answer.

Well except the correct answer that Suarez dererves it more than Van Persie.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well except the correct answer that Suarez dererves it more than Van Persie.
    I'd actually go as far as to say that thats more likely the incorrect answer.

CSF wrote: »
    I'd actually go as far as to say that thats more likely the incorrect answer.

You just said there was no correct answer though. Honestly i dont know how anyone doesnt think Suarez should shade is over Van persie. The man has been lethal all season in a team playing quiet poorly most of the season. I think if most utd fans would take off the red goggles they would agree.

You just said there was no correct answer though. Honestly i dont know how anyone doesnt think Suarez should shade is over Van persie. The man has been lethal all season in a team playing quiet poorly most of the season. I think if most utd fans would take off the red goggles they would agree.
    There's more than one set of red goggles going around...

I'm not a United fan and if I was pushed for an answer I'd go for RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Van Persie has scored in basically every very important PL game this season, whereas a lot of Suarez's goals have come when Liverpool are winning comfortably. So RVP shades it imo. Although that's just my take and its not clear cut. I don't know how any rational fan could see it as clear cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Michu deserves a mention.

Been outstanding in delivering Swansea first major silverware. Santi has caught the eye too but faded from the POTY a little but still been very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How valid is the 'but he's playing in a poorer side' argument though?

RvP played in a poorer side last season, but scored more goals for them.

There are plenty of examples of a player's performance/contribution remaining constant or weakening despite moving to a club that has a better team.

Suarez could easily have a lesser impact or not stand out as much if he was playing in a better team, or he might remain at the same level, or he might excel....who knows is what I'm saying. I don't think people should be giving him too much extra credit for the fact he's doing it for a lesser side, it's a bit of a convenient assumption tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Suarez has been phenomenal this season and is the only reason Liverpool aren't 7 or 8 places further down the table than they are now.

RVP has also been outstanding and will probably be the reason United win the title this year if they do.

There's no picking between the two imo. Both deserve it as much as the other and once it's one of them that gets it, I'll feel that the right decision was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'll go RVP. Not scoring a lot of braces and hat-tricks but has been scoring important goals and creating for the team.

19 goals and 12 assists and the focal point of the team in his first season playing with these players. Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement