Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Of The Year 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

tumblr_m4tl5wIxV31qj9xud.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

darced wrote: »

I do wonder if the people who insinuate that RvP is just a lethal goalscorer actually watch the same football player.

He is insanely good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, racks up plenty of assists from general play and is one of the best set piece takers in the league (look at the amount of goals United have began to score from corners/free kicks since he's arrived)

He is much more than just a great goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Van Persie has scored in basically every very important PL game this season, whereas a lot of Suarez's goals have come when Liverpool are winning comfortably. So RVP shades it imo. Although that's just my take and its not clear cut. I don't know how any rational fan could see it as clear cut

Have you not watched Liverpool this year.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/GoalsPerCompetition/1224-12

If you go through his goals here, you will see that most of his goals have been the first of the match for liverpool putting them in the lead or getting them back level plus he has scored some vital goals to get liverpool 2 goals up so you theory he doesnt score important goals in not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

If RVP proves to be the difference in the title-race, then he is the deserved winner IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Suarez or RVP without a doubt. Couldn't pick between them to be honest. Bale in third, followed by Mata, Carrick then Michu. Fellaini after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'd like to pick RVP, but I'm afraid the LFC mob will attack me, so I'll say Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

baz2009 wrote: »
    I'd like to pick RVP, but I'm afraid the LFC mob will attack me, so I'll say Suarez.

You could just vote and not say anything? Although then you won't get the attention you crave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I prefer Suarez's all around game to RVP's, but to say he doesn't have an all-around game or that it isn't very good is incorrect imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You could just vote and not say anything? Although then you won't get the attention you crave.

You know me so well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

RvP!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Whoever voted Santi Cazorla, own up and admit your mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Who I think will win it - Bale.

Who probably should win it - Suarez.

Who I would like to see win it - van Persie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Whatever about anything, but 40/1 on Suarez to win it last week was insane.

As a Liverpool supporter I really want Suarez to win it, but it would be foolish not to mention RVP and his influence on United this season. It really is hard to separate them at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Both players have a good claim to it, but also hollywood-esque storylines behind it....Suarez as the child hating, cannibal, bad boy who won the sport over to claim the award, or Van Persie as the player who came back from a life threatening assault to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

niallo27 wrote: »
    Have you not watched Liverpool this year.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/GoalsPerCompetition/1224-12

If you go through his goals here, you will see that most of his goals have been the first of the match for liverpool putting them in the lead or getting them back level plus he has scored some vital goals to get liverpool 2 goals up so you theory he doesnt score important goals in not correct.

I never said that. However, he clearly hasnt had the influence in the big games RVP has.

Anyway, another month plus to go and all to play for. Bale has the momentum probably at this stage, but the other two ahead.

Funny how this thread was made this evening, just when that all important stat changes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Best player on the best team. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CSF wrote: »
    Controversial opinion for the sake of controversy. Mata ahead of RVP and Suarez is madness.
    So you are just deciding I'm being controversial on purpose? How dare you. Care to go to the Chelsea thread and read what I've written there about Mata a couple of months ago and more recently?

No I'm sure you won't because it would prove you were dead wrong to accuse me basically of trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

van Persie but these awards are a load of shíte anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

as long as it's RVP or Suarez I don't give a shít.

actually, scratch that. in reality I don't really give a shít anyway.

they have been the two best players though, without question. Suarez has been immense all season, often carrying Liverpool's attacking threat on his own.

and though RVP isn't scoring in clusters, he's been the main man in a Utd team who are storming the League. he also scored an insane amount of vital goals in the first half of the season to keep Utd's momentum consistently going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you are just deciding I'm being controversial on purpose? How dare you. Care to go to the Chelsea thread and read what I've written there about Mata a couple of months ago and more recently?

No I'm sure you won't because it would prove you were dead wrong to accuse me basically of trolling.

Instantly thought of this

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

United fan, Van Persie fan. Juan Mata, excellent in an inconsistent team and been a leader when his team needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

United fan, Van Persie fan. Juan Mata, excellent in an inconsistent team and been a leader when his team needed it.

Seriously? Why do we do this? No player has been near Suarez or van Persie so far this year. Bale would be a distant third tbh too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Got to be Suarez for me but if it's not, then Van Persie is the only one I'd give it to. Bale is on a good run of late but some the hype around him has a lot to do with him being British and so all of a sudden his name is in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mata for me, been brilliant all season. Think I'm right in saying Chelsea haven't won a single game this season where he hasn't started. 10 goals and 12 assists ain't half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Or maybe he's just being polite because let's face it, you're talking complete and utter nonsense

Seriously? Why do we do this? No player has been near Suarez or van Persie so far this year. Bale would be a distant third tbh too.

This, basically. I'd prefer Suarez, Utd fans would prefer Van Persie, but if either of the two win, you couldn't really say they don't deserve it.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Or maybe he's just being polite because let's face it, you're talking complete and utter nonsense
    Yeah well maybe I'm too old these days or maybe its all the players I've seen and all the experience I've gained from watching the game since the early 70s.

Either way I don't think anybody died and made you king so please don't come on here making decisions like that. If you have a different opinion then fine but don't just call mine nonsense. Grow up and have a bit of respect for the opinions of others.

If you read through all the thread you might notice that I'm not alone thinking Mata has been the best player in the EPL this season.

Yeah well maybe I'm too old these days or maybe its all the players I've seen and all the experience I've gained from watching the game since the early 70s.

Either way I don't think anybody died and made you king so please don't come on here making decisions like that. If you have a different opinion then fine but don't just call mine nonsense. Grow up and have a bit of respect for the opinions of others.

If you read through all the thread you might notice that I'm not alone thinking Mata has been the best player in the EPL this season.

I have respect for your opinion in that you're entitled to it, I wouldn't have it any other way. So you in turn should have respect for my opinion that i think your opinion is nonsense.

And the fact that you have been watching football since the early 1970's doesn't in any way make Juan Mata, as good as he is, have a better season week in, week out than Luis Suarez.

Fair enough you think Mata is your player of the season but you stated that you think Suarez should be no where winning it, which is quiet clearly nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I'd be more for Bale.

I think hes scored over a 3rd of their goals this season. They're 1 point behind Chelsea, with a game to play tomorrow, if they win they go 2 behind City. He's been dragging them through it in recent weeks.

But of course, Robin#1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

CSF wrote: »
    I think its fair to say that pretty much every Liverpool fan is going to pick Suarez and every United fan is going to pick RVP, and given the margins that are between them, thats understandable. The Suarez vs RVP 2012/13 debate has no correct answer.

It certainly has no correct answer at the moment.

There's still 10 games to go - over a quarter of the season.

Van Persie could get injured falling out of bed tomorrow and Suarez could go on to score another 10, or vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I went with Suarez, seems he can do it all by himself. Glad he isn't with City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's really close to call and I think this thread and the poll is a bit premature. Let's see what happens the next few games. Though I think it's almost certainly between Suarez, RVP and Bale.

I'm a Liverpool fan so have seen more of Suarez than the other two. Suarez has been phenomenal, but the fact is Liverpool have had a poor season (and it would take a massive turnaround in the last 10 matches to change that). Suarez's goals have perhaps not impacted as heavily on his teams' fortunes as his rivals.

I do think that United winning the league largely on the back of RVP's goals is a big argument in his favour (thought conversely it could be said that Suarez being the league's top scorer in a team currently 7th is more impressive).

But so far Bale's and RV's goals have perhaps been more important. It's hard to measure exactly because even goals that put you 2 or 3 up can't be discounted as irrelevant, but this chart would put a slight dent in Suarez's hopes -

2013%2f2%2fGoalscorer-Points.jpg

Basically it's still really difficult to say. If Bale keeps up his recent form I think he'll win it and probably deservedly so. But that's a big if. RVP will always have the league success to boost his chances. (as well as still having the most goal contributions [goals and assists combined]), whereas Suarez is the current topscorer.

If I had to call it now I might lean towards RVP, but it's really difficult to say and the next few matches can be decisive.

The poll is too early because there's 3 great players that are hard to separate at the moment imo, and the next few matches will impact a lot on the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ok fine, well if that's your actual opinion that's even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You think that Bale will win a poll in a forum that constantly hates on Bale? Can't even mention his name in here without the words 'overrated' and 'diver' following shortly. The one thing more tedious than the British press is Irish people bitching about the British press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

RvP for his goals, at crucial times which have lead to Utd all but winning the league, also he has assisted plenty as well. The games against QPR and Norwich the past 8 days he got assists. These two games were vital for Utd to get 6 points in order to maintain their 12 point lead. Easy to take for granted but Utd and RvP didn't take them for granted.

For me he only just nips it ahead of Suarez as a result of Utd's performance in the league and his contribution to that. Suarez and RvP are two fantastic players who are "worth the entry fee alone", they make their own luck. Fantastic teammates to have with their attitude, always give 110%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Bale is the feelgood story ala Ginola/Giggs from other years. He'll win but irrelevant really. Hopefully the season maps out similar to when Ginola won it :)

Fair enough you think Mata is your player of the season but you stated that you think Suarez should be no where winning it, which is quiet clearly nonsense.
    He has been brilliant in some games but he has been poor in a lot of games too.

I don't know how many games he has scored in but I'd guess its around half of them. While his goal tally is high he hasn't been as consistent for me as Mata, RVP or Bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Rafael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Van persie for me. Bale has only really started to shine in the last month or 2 and Suarez from what I have seen is very hit and miss. When things are going well he is great, but when they are not be can be terrible.

Aguero is having a very good season as well, but there is very little talk about him.

I think it is around this time the players cast their vote and with the scintillating form bale is in he could well win it, but for me van persie has been consistantly excellent all this season so far

You just said there was no correct answer though. Honestly i dont know how anyone doesnt think Suarez should shade is over Van persie. The man has been lethal all season in a team playing quiet poorly most of the season. I think if most utd fans would take off the red goggles they would agree.
    Why don't you take off yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Van persie for me. Bale has only really started to shine in the last month or 2 and Suarez from what I have seen is very hit and miss. When things are going well he is great, but when they are not be can be terrible.

Aguero is having a very good season as well, but there is very little talk about him.

I think it is around this time the players cast their vote and with the scintillating form bale is in he could well win it, but for me van persie has been consistantly excellent all this season so far

I always thought it was Dec/Jan which was ridiculously early to be voting

racso1975 wrote: »

I always thought it was Dec/Jan which was ridiculously early to be voting
    It could already be done so. If so RVP has it in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bale will probably win it.

RVP deserves it.

If Suarez didn't cheat so much he wouldn't be as hated and get the applaudeds he deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RVP and Suarez have been by far the two best players in the league this season and its neck and neck between them.

Obviously as a Utd fan I'd like to see RVP get it but honestly, if Suarez got it I wouldn't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

You could flip a coin between either rvp and suarez and nobody could begrudge either of them it. Both lethal finishers and both with different aspects of their game, rvp takes great corners and is excellent at defending em for united while suarez can slip between defenders in the box for example. The fact bale will probably win it is down to the media hype about him, hes a distant 3rd imo

He has been brilliant in some games but he has been poor in a lot of games too.

I don't know how many games he has scored in but I'd guess its around half of them. While his goal tally is high he hasn't been as consistent for me as Mata, RVP or Bale.

Well if you compare him to Van Persie he has scored in 14 games to van persie's 16 games. It proves they are both pretty lethal. Suarez has been excellent all season. He maybe had 1 or 2 bad games. I really can't understand how you can call him inconsistent. It's bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

adox wrote: »
    RVP and Suarez have been by far the two best players in the league this season and its neck and neck between them.

Obviously as a Utd fan I'd like to see RVP get it but honestly, if Suarez got it I wouldn't complain.

As a Utd fan I would!!!

For Suarez to go from shameful racist to PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!! In the space of a season is just crazy!

For me, the player of the year should be setting the example OFF the pitch as well & taking into account Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand & bringing the whole incident up again in an interview does certainly not convey the qualities of the player of the year....

For me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

As a Utd fan I would!!!

For Suarez to go from shameful racist to PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!! In the space of a season is just crazy!

For me, the player of the year should be setting the example OFF the pitch as well & taking into account Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand & bringing the whole incident up again in an interview does certainly not convey the qualities of the player of the year....

For me anyway.

Well for me player of the year is who played the best on the pitch, hence my above comments.

I do think Suarez is an extremely unlikeable character, and I'm not just talking in a pantomime villain type way, but purely on footballing abilities, he's having a fantastic season and deserves to be up there with RVP for player of the year.

I presumed that was most people's criterium for picking the players they think deserving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement