Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Of The Year 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

As a Utd fan I would!!!

For Suarez to go from shameful racist to PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!! In the space of a season is just crazy!

For me, the player of the year should be setting the example OFF the pitch as well & taking into account Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand & bringing the whole incident up again in an interview does certainly not convey the qualities of the player of the year....

For me anyway.

In that case I'd say you were disappointed when Giggs won the award a couple of years ago after his off field antics!

It's a football award. The best footballer of the year should win it. It's not a personality contest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Bale will probably win it.

RVP deserves it.

If Suarez didn't cheat so much he wouldn't be as hated and get the applaudeds he deserves.

Tbf Bale is just as culpable from a diving pov but doesn't get anywhere near the same negative media reaction for obvious reasons.

I'd give it to Van P for the sheer clinicalness of the man. His goals to shots ratio and passes to assists ratio is stunning and far eclipses his rivals in this way, he's the most economical and least wasteful of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I've seen a few people talk about this top chance creator stat. What does this mean? What constitutes a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

emc2 wrote: »
    In that case I'd say you were disappointed when Giggs won the award a couple of years ago after his off field antics!

It's a football award. The best footballer of the year should win it. It's not a personality contest!

That coupled with the fact that there were better players than him that year, Yes I was disappointed to be quite honest.

It makes me laugh when people say 'these footballers should be an example to kids' then not take their off field antics into account when it comes to player of the year...

Surely that is setting a bad example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Difference between RVP and Suarez for me is that RVP constantly delivers in United's big games. Suarez' is a smashing player, and his return isn't exactly shabby in big games either, but RVP clearly outperforms him in them.

In games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and Liverpool, RVP has 7 goals and 2 assists in 9 games.

In games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and United, Suarez has 4 goals and 0 assists in 9 games.

Bale could well get it too. He's been amazing.

I think that's more to do with the players they have surrounding them - RVP has better players around him than Suarez which makes things easier, especially against better sides. Without Suarez Liverpool would be candidates for relegation - without RVP United would still be challenging for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

What is it with the emergence of this % of teams points stat? It's such complete bull****. As if that player wasn't there to create / finish a given chance, no other player on the team would. Utterly useless stat.

Anyway, RvP for me, his consistency and class have been outstanding. Suarez a close 2nd. Well played OP on making the poll on the day he scores a hat trick. ;)

greendom wrote: »

I think that's more to do with the players they have surrounding them - RVP has better players around him than Suarez which makes things easier, especially against better sides. Without Suarez Liverpool would be candidates for relegation - without RVP United would still be challenging for the title.

But he wasn't any less effective at Arsenal last season surrounded by inferior players. He's just by far the most clutch striker about in the league over the last few years.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I'd say that you can't exclude a player from the running because he was found to use racist language, no matter how much of a nasty charachter you think someone is, the award is about who has been the best football player on the pitch throughout the season.

Players like Roy Keane and Eric Cantona won it so it shows that a player's nefarious side prevents him from winning such an award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Tbf Bale is just as culpable from a diving pov but doesn't get anywhere near the same negative media reaction for obvious reasons.

I'd give it to Van P for the sheer clinicalness of the man. His goals to shots ratio and passes to assists ratio is stunning and far eclipses his rivals in this way, he's the most economical and least wasteful of the 3.

Yeah bale certainly does fall over quite easily, but everything about suarez makes you hate him. Fantastic player and he is certainly improving his image, he plays with a lot of confidence these days, he doesn't snatch so much at the ball like he did last season and has massively improved his goal ratio.

I just think the way the British media is set up that bale will win though I think Rvp and even suarez deserve it more, but the award is a bit of a joke as its voted for like last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

We all know he will not get POTY because his other professionals will not vote for him but Suarez has been the best player in the Premier League this season!

Maybe, he might get the Football Writers Award!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember seeing Susrez around 40/1 to win POTY last week.

Say it's well gone now but would of had bit value I say now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RvP has scored 3 goals in the last 6 weeks so he needs get his scoring boots on if he wants to win this boards accolade.

mike65 wrote: »
    RvP has scored 3 goals in the last 6 weeks so he needs get his scoring boots on if he wants to win this boards accolade.

Ya although he still been getting his share of assists and playing pivotal roles in each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a Utd fan I would!!!

For Suarez to go from shameful racist to PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!! In the space of a season is just crazy!

For me, the player of the year should be setting the example OFF the pitch as well & taking into account Suarez refused to shake Evra's hand & bringing the whole incident up again in an interview does certainly not convey the qualities of the player of the year....

For me anyway.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

When is the voting done on this? Someone mentioned January, but i really don't think so... The betting odds would suggest otherwise anyway (massive value to be had on Cazorla and Mata if voting was cast in January imo)

From Paddy Power:

Bale 4/7
    RVP 2/1
    Suarez 7/1
    Michu 33/1
    Mata 50/1
    Cazorla 150/1
    Scholes 200/1

I think the shortness of Bale's odds, the bizarre inclusion of Scholes on the shortlist, and Suarez's relatively long odds probably reflect the reality of the situation that it's maybe not just about the best footballer...

Really don't understand how there could such a difference in odds between RVP, Bale and Suarez, but I imagine PP know there stuff and have done their research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Morzadec wrote: »
    When is the voting done on this? Someone mentioned January, but i really don't think so... The betting odds would suggest otherwise anyway (massive value to be had on Cazorla and Mata if voting was cast in January imo)

From Paddy Power:

Bale 4/7
    RVP 2/1
    Suarez 7/1
    Michu 33/1
    Mata 50/1
    Cazorla 150/1
    Scholes 200/1

I think the shortness of Bale's odds, the bizarre inclusion of Scholes on the shortlist, and Suarez's relatively long odds probably reflect the reality of the situation that it's maybe not just about the best footballer...

Really don't understand how there could such a difference in odds between RVP, Bale and Suarez, but I imagine PP know there stuff and have done their research.
    I don't think that's a short list tbf. The first few are the most likely winners and then it's like when they throw in Dustin the turkey at 200/1 for Irish president, no offence Scholesy :pac:
    There will be shorter odds for many more players than 200/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I don't think that's a short list tbf. The first few are the most likely winners and then it's like when they throw in Dustin the turkey at 200/1 for Irish president, no offence Scholesy :pac:
    There will be shorter odds for many more players than 200/1.

But considering Cazorla (a real viable candidate imo, probably 4th or 5th on my list) is 150/1, Scholes' inclusion seems a bit more odd and not just in there for the laugh.

It would make for a great 'story' if Scholes was given it

Players like Roy Keane and Eric Cantona won it so it shows that a player's nefarious side prevents him from winning such an award.
    When I said can't I really meant shouldn't. The award should be for footballing reasons alone.

The best player normally doesn't win the award, so I'm not sure it matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But he wasn't any less effective at Arsenal last season surrounded by inferior players. He's just by far the most clutch striker about in the league over the last few years.

We're talking this season though and don't get me wrong he's a brilliant player but Suarez edges it for me this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I despise van Persie but even if I didn't I think I'd still go for Suarez

But considering Cazorla (a real viable candidate imo, probably 4th or 5th on my list) is 150/1, Scholes' inclusion seems a bit more odd and not just in there for the laugh.

It would make for a great 'story' if Scholes was given it
    But I'd imagine if they were to give odds on Carrick, Zabaleta or Gerrard among others you wouldn't get near 200/1. The winner will be one of the first 3, anything after that doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is RvPs "22 points" difference mainly down to Utd going through that spell when they always let the opposition score first? Clearly if Utd go a goal down then if Van Persie scores at least one goal (preferably the second/third etc for Utd) then his worth in terms of extra points is very large.

The goals to points ratio is an inefficient way of looking at things. Yes, there should be some way of weighting last minute match winners over the third goal in a four nil win - but that isn't the way to do it.

If you score the opener or the equalizer in a 2 - 1 defeat that goal matters a great deal. It isn't the strikers fault that the rest of the team around him got beat overall.

mike65 wrote: »
    Is RvPs "22 points" difference mainly down to Utd going through that spell when they always let the opposition score first? Clearly if Utd go a goal down then if Van Persie scores at least one goal (preferably the second/third etc for Utd) then his worth in terms of extra points is very large.
    I would have thought it was where he was the difference in the game. So v City he was worth 2 points as opposed to the 1 we would have got for the draw without his goal and v Southampton he was worth 3 points as opposed to the 0 we would have gotten without his hat trick.
    That's my understanding of it anyway.
    Although 22 points seems a bit high by that logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Suarez has a 0% chance of winning the award though.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol

Well no need to add anything further to that, kinda says it all really doesn't it....

What exactly about what I said made you 'lol'

Suarez has a 0% chance of winning the award though.

Out of interest, what makes you think that?

Well no need to add anything further to that, kinda says it all really doesn't it....

What exactly about what I said made you 'lol'

I chuckled at your whole post actually. Don't mind me though, carry on.

I chuckled at your whole post actually. Don't mind me though, carry on.

So you obviously think the Player of the year has no obligation to set an example off the pitch no?

Or, to make it even worse, look it at it another way..... it happened ON the pitch!

• Advertisement

The best player normally doesn't win the award, so I'm not sure it matters.

I agree with that to some degree alright.

Normally it comes down to who media kobe at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Suarez has been excellent but Van Persie has been the definition of clutch this season. The award should be over a season, not the last few weeks.

People always have stupidly short memories when it comes to these things. If Suarez hadn't scored a hat-trick yesterday he wouldn't be winning this poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

carlop wrote: »
    Suarez has been excellent but Van Persie has been the definition of clutch this season. The award should be over a season, not the last few weeks.

People always have stupidly short memories when it comes to these things. If Suarez hadn't scored a hat-trick yesterday he wouldn't be winning this poll.

For real bro or you taking the mickey ?

carlop wrote: »

Going by the activity in the Liverpool thread it's safe to say that there's more Liverpool fans than any other side on the forum so there's naturally going to be a bias towards their players in polls like this.

Going by the activity in the Liverpool thread it's safe to say that there's more Liverpool fans than any other side on the forum so there's naturally going to be a bias towards their players in polls like this.

Ahhh, I was wondering why the thread had descended into madness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Your username is very deceiving.

Leiva wrote: »

He kind of has a point. It depends when this poll goes up. Suarez has scored 30% of his goals in the last 6 weeks, culminating in a hat-trick yesterday. RVP has only scored 3. The same principle would apply if we did this poll at the end of the season.

A player can play really well until April but go a slight bit off the boil due to injury or whatever for the last 6 weeks. If somebody else was off the boil for the first 6 weeks to two months of the season but played well for the rest of the season, they'd have more of a chance if we put this poll up in May than the guy who petered out a little bit towards the end.

Ha, I am a massive Suarez fan, I tipped him up in the pool thread earlier in the season at 8/1 to score 20+. Wouldn't be too controversial a choice for POTY but still think Van P deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So you obviously think the Player of the year has no obligation to set an example off the pitch no?

Or, to make it even worse, look it at it another way..... it happened ON the pitch!

It didn't matter for Rooney so I don't see why this year would make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Ha, I am a massive Suarez fan, I tipped him up in the pool thread earlier in the season at 8/1 to score 20+. Wouldn't be too controversial a choice for POTY but still think Van P deserves.

Actually I've totally changed my mind and want Suarez to win it now....

That way it will hurt more when ye loose the player of the year to Bayern next season ;)

Always and upside :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Why would I be taking the mickey? I have absolutely no time for trolling or the usual Liverpool/United dick-measuring contest, I'm simply saying that Suarez's form over the last couple of weeks, and especially yesterday, have had a disproportionate influence on this vote, combined with the fact that Liverpool fans are a majority on the soccer forum.

Suarez would be a worthy winner and is obviously a top-class player, but I think if you took a sample of neutral observers and showed them every game non-sequentially, Van Persie would edge out Suarez and Bale.

You also have to take league position in to consideration for these things. It's not decisive, but it has to be considered, and one player is scoring the goals that are leading his team back to the title, the other is scoring goals in a team that is doing ok.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I would agree, but a lot of their indiscretions happened after they had won these awards. Cantona was the clutch player in 05/06 but had been banned the previous year for booting a fan. Les Ferdinand took home the award.

Keane won it in 00, which was a year before he smashed Haaland, two before Saipan etc. Prior to that he was prone to lashing out but hadn't achieved quite the same rep as he got later in his career.

All the stuff about Giggs came out a few years after he won the award. Rightly or wrongly, these things can affect the vote and may do so for Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

From Paddy Power:

Bale 4/7
    RVP 2/1
    Suarez 7/1
    Michu 33/1
    Mata 50/1
    Cazorla 150/1
    Scholes 200/1

If you look for best price, you can get much better odds on some of them, probably more reflective of their actual chances than PP's odds.

Bale 8/13
    RvP 10/3
    Suarez 12/1
    Michu 50/1
    Mata 66/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Out of interest, what makes you think that?

He has no chance of winning it because of his history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ahahaha!! Suarez shouldn't win it because he's a 'shameful racist'. hahahahaha!! :pac:

He has no chance of winning it because of his history.

Nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

spelt backwards it reads god poker.......hmmmm

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ahahaha!! Suarez shouldn't win it because he's a 'shameful racist'. hahahahaha!! :pac:

Ya tbf that was last season and it should not matter for this season.

He more then likely won't win because of his reputation but IMO that's not fair.

Won't be first though I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

niallo27 wrote: »
    Not based on this season which the award is going for.

nonsense, there is no comparison between them apart from their goal scoring stats. those stats hide the fact that all bar 4 of Suarezs goals have come against the bottom teams in the league, the likes of Qpr, Wigan, Norwich and Sunderland.

RVP has scored vital goals against all the top teams, in tight games including several winners in games that were decided by his goals.Suarez has yet to score a really crucial goal this seasons that results in Liverpool getting a win, RVP has about 8 of them.

id vote for Michael Carrick, he has been the most important player in the league this season.

Advertisement