Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Of The Year 2012/2013

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's an honor just to have been nominated.

Never going to happen Andy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Why does Bale being british give him an advantage if it is voted by the players? Sure there are more foreigners playing in the premier league than brits.

Queue some pedantic pat to spend the next hour or 2 googling the brit:foreign ratio to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You could argue that because he's British he gets hyped by the media more, and players are as stupid as the rest of the population and form most of their opinions from what the media tell them. Look at when Giggs won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Congrats to Bale and he deserves it. Any one of the 3 could have been winners and people wouldn't have complained. He was in excellent form during the voting period which also counts for lot and also his contributions are the reason why Spurs are in for 3rd or 4th place contention.

Young player of the award is farce and they should change the criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good and all as Bale has been for a large part of the season, four assists from a player playing off the frontman is a pretty poor return.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Good and all as Bale has been for a large part of the season, four assists from a player playing off the frontman is a pretty poor return.

When one of the striker is Adebayor you can see why the assists are less. How many chances have Adebayor missed and Defoe is very hit and miss. On his day his finishing is lethal and he too had few off days.

The delusion is strong in those Spurs fans.

Saying Bale deserves to win player of the year is not delusion. There are players outside Liverpool who had better season too..

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    When one of the striker is Adebayor you can see why the assists are less. How many chances have Adebayor missed and Defoe is very hit and miss. On his day his finishing is lethal and he too had few off days.

A fair point but Mata was playing behind Torres and he did alright.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A fair point but Mata was playing behind Torres and he did alright.

Few set pieces assists and Mata didn't score as many as Bale playing behind the striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Congratulations to Gareth Bale, fantastic achievement.

• Advertisement

Few set pieces assists and Mata didn't score as many as Bale playing behind the striker.

Don't mind me, I'm just looking to pick a hole in his win.

Having said that, if he stays at Spurs I want at least ten assists next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Congrats to Bale and he deserves it. Any one of the 3 could have been winners and people wouldn't have complained. He was in excellent form during the voting period which also counts for lot and also his contributions are the reason why Spurs are in for 3rd or 4th place contention.

Young player of the award is farce and they should change the criteria.

For real?

For real?

:confused:

Yes?

Bale, Suarez and RVP all had excellent seasons and anyone could have won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't see why people get so worked up by this award. It's decided before the most important games of the season take place and voted on by people unlikely to have much perspective on who is doing what week in, week out. It doesn't really matter that much.

RVP had the best season of any footballers in England this year imo, and last night's award doesn't change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Bale isn't the best footballer in the Premier League and still is behind RVP and Suarez who both had much better seasons that him IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/8679380/Boos-for-Suarez-at-PFA-bash

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks Surarez antics have contributed to him not being named....

I can't believe that more people don't account for off-field antics (Yes I know the bit happened on the field, but its NOT part of the game and has NO place) as part of what young aspiring footballers idolize as 'player of the year'......

How people were saying that 'the whole racist thing' won't count against him, I said he would do something stupid again, he has previous for biting as well and he will NOT change, this is not the end of the Surarez show.

On a side note! Congrats to Bale, will add on a fair few millions for Spurs come the end of the season

Saying Bale deserves to win player of the year is not delusion. There are players outside Liverpool who had better season too..

Exactly this, amazing how blind some Liverpool fans are :eek:

YES Bale did have a better season that Suarez (Utd fan here) but not as good a season as RVP, my personal opinion but I would not argue Bale winning as I could see he was exceptional this season. but both RVP and Bale have been better than footballs answer to Mike Tyson ;)

Exactly this, amazing how blind some Liverpool fans are :eek:

YES Bale did have a better season that Suarez (Utd fan here) but not as good a season as RVP, my personal opinion but I would not argue Bale winning as I could see he was exceptional this season. but both RVP and Bale have been better than footballs answer to Mike Tyson ;)

Suarez is a better player than Bale and had a better season than him. Not that it makes a difference but I'd rather have Suarez in my side than Bale. Suarez is on the cusp of being World Class whereas Bale is a very good player.

People are misjudging Suarez as a player becuase of his antics.

Fair play to Bale.

Rvp and Suarez were better over the season imo.

Nasty foreigners!

• Advertisement

Suarez is a better player than Bale and had a better season than him. Not that it makes a difference but I'd rather have Suarez in my side than Bale. Suarez is on the cusp of being World Class whereas Bale is a very good player.

People are misjudging Suarez as a player becuase of his antics.

And you follow :rolleyes:

Really he has had a better season than him? Bale wone player of the year and Spurs are in the hunt for Champions League, what is Suarez doing with the rest of his season? Hopefuly not bringing the reputaion of such a great club as Liverpool into further disrepute...

Explain if you will why you think Suarez has had a better season than Bale (Utd fan here, no Spurs Bias at all) Fot me it was a toss up between Bale and RVP, Suarez in the grand scheme of the entire league season has achieved nothing for all his 'amazing' goals.....

Besides his god given ability, he lacks a hell of a lot that go into the make up of a world class player IMO, esepcially the word Class....

Sorry, but in all fairness it is a joke to say that Suarez has had a better season than Bale, on Fifa 13 maybe but come off it please

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fair play to Bale.

Rvp and Suarez were better over the season imo.

Nasty foreigners!

Yeah Nasty foreigners even though RVP won it last time when Rooney scored almost as many goals.

:confused:

Yes?

Bale, Suarez and RVP all had excellent seasons and anyone could have won it.

But Bale won it and loads of people are complaining on this very thread.

I think you misunderstood me.

[\quote]
    Manchester United, not that it matters.
    Really he has had a better season than him? Bale wone player of the year and Spurs are in the hunt for Champions League, what is Suarez doing with the rest of his season? Hopefuly not bringing the reputaion of such a great club as Liverpool into further disrepute...
    [\quote]

Yeah he had a better season than him. Bale is a fantastic player but he's overhyped and not of the same ability as Suarez.
    Explain if you will why you think Suarez has had a better season than Bale (Utd fan here, no Spurs Bias at all) Fot me it was a toss up between Bale and RVP, Suarez in the grand scheme of the entire league season has achieved nothing for all his 'amazing' goals.....

Besides his god given ability, he lacks a hell of a lot that go into the make up of a world class player IMO, esepcially the word Class....

Sorry, but in all fairness it is a joke to say that Suarez has had a better season than Bale, on Fifa 13 maybe but come off it please

No it's certainly not a joke and I don't know why your banding on about achievements. What did Bale win before yesterday?

Suarez was consistent all season. Scored more goals and has been a bigger threat to defences all season. It was between RVP and Suarez for me as both are world class players who have outperformed everybody else this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Time to get real. Suarez was much more consistent than bale all season. Im a United fan aswell.

But Bale won it and loads of people are complaining on this very thread.

I think you misunderstood me.

What I meant was all 3 were very deserving and there was very little between them. Obvisously some or the other will always complain (poor choice of words from me) but I hope you got what I meant.

• Advertisement

What I meant was all 3 very deserving and there was very little between them. Obvisously some or the other will always complain (poor choice of words from me) but I hope you got what I meant.

Yep,got ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

But those players certainly don't play for Spurs.

But those players certainly don't play for Spurs.

Was it so certain? All these days I was thinking it was very close contest between the 3 players. Must be only one clear winner according to few when one certain player is involved.

Was it so certain? All these days I was thinking it was very close contest between the 3 players. Must be only one clear winner according to few when one certain player is involved.

Don't think any one has said there was one clear winner.

Don't think any one has said there was one clear winner.

Some did and most of them picked Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Personally I thought Michu deserved it above anyone else.
    Scored some great goals, some really important ones.
    Played well almost any game I watched him play.
    Unlike Bale or Suarez, actually ended up winning a medal/trophy this year.
    Plays in a Swansea team without the resources of the clubs they were up against.

To not even be nominated was daft to be honest.

Some did and most of them picked Suarez.

According to the poll it was fairly even between Suarez and RVP.

According to the poll it was fairly even between Suarez and RVP.

So you are saying Bale didn't have better season based on the poll or that people even picked RVP to prove me wrong (that I said many picked Suarez)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

As I said before, it was a straightforward toss of the coin for me between RVP and Suarez. Both would have been equally deserving winners. One was only ever going to be in a chance of winning it however, although if it's true about Suarez getting 2nd, I'm shocked at that quite honestly.

I'd have had Michu ahead of Bale, probably Carrick too. It could be argued about Mata or Bale being higher up over one another.

So you are saying Bale didn't have better season based on the poll or that people even picked RVP to prove me wrong (that I said many picked Suarez)

No, I'm saying Bale didn't have a better season based on his performances. The majority of people who watched his performances would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

wadacrack wrote: »
    Time to get real. Suarez was much more consistent than bale all season. Im a United fan aswell.

I'm a United fan as well and have no problem with Bale being POTY. Deserved imo.

Being a United fan doesn't make your point more valid or win you an argument though.

No, I'm saying Bale didn't have a better season based on his performances. The majority of people who watched his performances would agree.

Easy to throw away those words. Majority like who? Liverpool fans or ManUtd fans?

AFAIK, most at Redcafe have no problem with Bale winning it as it was very close and RVP was off form during the crucial voting period.

Not sure about Liverpool forums. Just a quick glance at Sunderland and Villa forums says (most of them) thinks it is a well deserved award for Bale.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm a United fan as well and have no problem with Bale being POTY. Deserved imo.

Being a United fan doesn't make your point more valid or win you an argument though.

Shows a willingness from some of your supporters to admit how good Suarez is or maybe better put for the sake of the thread, was this season. Not saying yourself or others are playing down Suarez but there is a large element of that from what I've seen IRL anyway for sure.

And yes, there is probably some of that towards RVP from our support as well though I've honestly not seen it, ie: don't rate or wouldn't vote for him due to who he plays for or his antics. Some people can't separate the footballer from that of the character and some of his antics. Suarez has himself to blame too somewhat of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nothing award, who cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Suarez, Van Persie and Baines would be my top three. The whole thing is an overblown nonsense anyway.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Shows a willingness from some of your supporters to admit how good Suarez is or maybe better put for the sake of the thread, was this season. Not saying yourself or others are playing down Suarez but there is a large element of that from what I've seen IRL anyway for sure.

And yes, there is probably some of that towards RVP from our support as well though I've honestly not seen it, ie: don't rate or wouldn't vote for him due to who he plays for or his antics. Some people can't separate the footballer from that of the character and some of his antics. Suarez has himself to blame too somewhat of course.

Yeah, there is some people who underrate Suarez due to his antics, not disputing that at all. But even if I felt he had a better season than Bale, I wouldn't be using the fact that I'm a United fan to strengthen my position! Really do hate that line of argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Nothing award, who cares

Danny Levy cares. That award just added 10m more on to G Bale pricetag when Spurs sell him season after next.

Actually think there's a bit of bias against Bale on this forum. I think it's because so many people are sick of Sky overhyping him. Back in 2011 when he was very good they were saying he was world class. Now in 2013 when he's world class they are mentioning him in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo.

It's true that he's still overhyped to an extent but that doesn't stop him from being the best player in the league this season, imo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Amazing to see Bale only get 11% of the votes. You'd suspect partisan voting is at play! That aside, I think RVP deserves the award as his contribution to Manchester United has won them the Premier League. In that sense, he has been the most important player this season. Suarez, while possibly more talented and valuable as a player than Van Persie, hasn't helped Liverpool to achieve anything worth mentioning; it is likely that they would still be in the top 8 if it weren't for him. Bale deserves a mention for his performances, and if he gets Spurs into the top 4 I'd nearly have him on a par with Van Persie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Couldn't argue too much on the choice of winner. I'd have RvP and Suarez ahead of him but not by the landslide some are making out. That's just my opinion and I can see why others would have them in a different order.

He's had a fantastic season. He gets so overhyped by Sky that people go to extremes to point out that he's not all that.
    Stats might show he didn't do too well in the first few months but he was still performing at a very high standard.

A worthy winner as would the other 2 have been had either of them won it.

Danny Levy cares. That award just added 10m more on to G Bale pricetag when Spurs sell him season after next.

Bale will probably want to get out of Spurs to protect his stock ASAP if Spurs don't make the CL. Also if he wants to win something in his career he'll probably look to move sooner rather than later becuase I can't see Spurs being much of a threat in the CL or EPL in the next 3/4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just can't get over how illogical it was when Michael Owen admitted on MOTD2 last night that he said he'd voted for Bale as POTY, and then Benteke for YPOTY.

and you can bet your bollocks more than just him did similar.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just can't get over how illogical it was when Michael Owen admitted on MOTD2 last night that he said he'd voted for Bale as POTY, and then Benteke for YPOTY.

and you can bet your bollocks more than just him did similar.

If he thought that Benteke was his PotY then it's perfect logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Some stats for you all to chew on for PL goals this season...very very revealing.

apologies if there are any errors in here, ill change them if there are but this table should be 90+% accurate.

RVP---Bale---Suarez
    Goals Against the top 8 teams in the league
    number of teams scored against
    number of games scored in
    Goals against the bottom 6
    number of games where they scored the winning goal
    points contribution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If he thought that Benteke was his PotY then it's perfect logic.

do you think that's likely?

Advertisement