Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Of The Year 2012/2013

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

individual awards have nothing to do with the teams they play for. its easy to be a good player and stand out in a poor team.

by that logic, the likes of Benteke and Rickie Lambart should be winning it.

Slight difference between Benteke and Lambert to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

COYVB wrote: »
    Slight difference between Benteke and Lambert to be fair

in what way? both have been excellent this season. Benteke standing out in a poorer team at the moment, just like Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22346517

Funny for so many reasons....comedian Reg Hunter caused a stir with some colourful language and humour including use of the N word. Lots of wringing hands and red faces this morning.

This guy:

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in what way? both have been excellent this season. Benteke standing out in a poorer team at the moment, just like Suarez.

he didn't mention Suarez.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he didn't mention Suarez.

ok and?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I would definitely have RVP and Suarez ahead of Bale this season and probably Carrick and Mata as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So the player of the year should only come from the team who wins the league? Bizarre logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So the player of the year should only come from the team who wins the league? Bizarre logic.

Are you referring to me?:confused:

adox wrote: »
    Are you referring to me?:confused:

No.

• Advertisement

360 posts in this thread and very few, if any of them have said this.... where did you get this from or where did you come to this conclusion?

360 posts in this thread and very few, if any of them have said this.... where did you get this from or where did you come to this conclusion?

Your posts. If a player plays for a poor team he doesn't deserve to win. Obviously the player who wins it must come from the best team then.

Your posts. If a player plays for a poor team he doesn't deserve to win. Obviously the player who wins it must come from the best team then.

i never said that at all, stop making up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

no you are wrong, a goal that comes in a one goal swing, would be counted as helping your team to win no matter when it is scored, so there is no flaw at all.

the only difference is in the winning goals column, which is one that Suarez did not influence. FFS he couldnt manage one game all season where he helped turn a 1-1 or a 0-0 into a win.

surely you see that important contributions are the ones that come when your team need you most? scoring the last goal in a 3 or 4-0 win in essence matter a bollix, its when your teams need you that counts and in those games that hang in the balance, Suarez didnt really do it for Liverpool this season in terms of winning them matches.

You're talking nonsense, I don't support Liverpool but he's been so important to them this season: Equaliser against chelsea home and away for one example.

If you're going to go by nonsense stats, at least make them correct

You're talking nonsense, I don't support Liverpool but he's been so important to them this season: Equaliser against chelsea home and away for one example.

If you're going to go by nonsense stats, at least make them correct

Suarez has been vital to Liverpool this season, nobody is saying otherwise. this is the player of the year thread however, not Liverpools player of the year.

when comparing the best players, who they scored against, the importance and impact of the goals are all important parts in deciding who played best.....but sure, lets ignore that and count a hatrick against wigan or norwich as important as 6 goals in 6 different games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Liverpool, Arsenal and City to name but a few.

Suarez has been vital to Liverpool this season, nobody is saying otherwise. this is the player of the year thread however, not Liverpools player of the year.

when comparing the best players, who they scored against, the importance and impact of the goals are all important parts in deciding who played best.....but sure, lets ignore that and count a hatrick against wigan or norwich as important as 6 goals in 6 different games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Liverpool, Arsenal and City to name but a few.

Apart from Liverpool obviously suarez scored against all of those teams named. :confused:

• Advertisement

Or its who has been consistently the best player in the league this year.

Regardless, Bale has been the best player in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Or its who has been consistently the best player in the league this year.

Regardless, Bale has been the best player in the league

Consistently best player is RVP. He went 370 mins without scoring once and it was his biggest barren spell in the league.

Suarez went 360 mins without scoring and it happened twice.

Most goals scored, most assists, most number of games scored in everything points to RVP.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Consistently best player is RVP. He went 370 mins without scoring once and it was his biggest barren spell in the league.

Suarez went 360 mins without scoring and it happened twice.

Most goals scored, most assists, most number of games scored in everything points to RVP.

United would be in 1st if they didn't have Van Persie
    Spurs would be around 8th or 9th without Bale

Not sure about first and he could have been signed by City and he would have turned draws into wins for them.

I thought it was RVP vs Suarez. I have already said Bale is a deserving winner and no complain from me at least.

Consistently best player is RVP.

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

What was the second line in my post? Yes it was about Suarez and I didn't bring Bale into it.

It was just RVP and Suarez comparison.

Apart from Liverpool obviously suarez scored against all of those teams named. :confused:

and i could have kept going with RVPs achievements, Suarez has 15 goals against the bottom 7 teams in the league. his goals no matter what way its dressed up or down, just cannot compete with RVPs.

though as pointed out Bale won this, so i cant see whey people keep getting their knickers twisted over Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

and i could have kept going with RVPs achievements, Suarez has 15 goals against the bottom 7 teams in the league. his goals no matter what way its dressed up or down, just cannot compete with RVPs.

though as pointed out Bale won this, so i cant see whey people keep getting their knickers twisted over Suarez.

You can peddle out all those stats you like (I'm assuming this is the sh!te you were waffling about before when you referred to Suarez as a big game bottler),but a better indication as to a players ability and form is actually watching football matches.

monkey9 wrote: »
    You can peddle out all those stats you like (I'm assuming this is the sh!te you were waffling about before when you referred to Suarez as a big game bottler),but a better indication as to a players ability and form is actually watching football matches.

ive been to over 200 premier league games, in almost every ground in England, seeing Suarez playing multiple times, along with RVP about 30+ time. whats your point?

ive been to over 200 premier league games, in almost every ground in England, seeing Suarez playing multiple times, along with RVP about 30+ time. whats your point?

You've seen Suarez max 3/4 times versus Van Persie 30+ times. Maybe that's his point.

The argument you are losing is the most ridiculous on here in a while.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You've seen Suarez max 3/4 times versus Van Persie 30+ times. Maybe that's his point.

and what argument is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The point is you try to use stats to claim Suarez is a big game bottler. Do your stats point out Skrtel messing up against Man City to allow them to equalise thus Suarez therefore not having the winning goal against City.

Do they point out Liverpool's defense going missing to allow Arsenal back in the game after Suarez put Liverpool in the lead.

Do they point out Suarez dragging players out of position and creating space for other players to run into and score. Do they point out the effect Suarez's presence alone can have on opposition players?

Your stats are just numbers and words in black and white on a page that can be used to slant an arguement any way you want it. Actually watching a match allows you to form a proper and more realistic opinion than stats ever can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

my voote goes to anthony elding off sligo rovers.......... ooops thought this was an irish site :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

my voote goes to anthony elding off sligo rovers.......... ooops thought this was an irish site :eek:

Well voting on player of the year after 10 games would be silly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Without van Persie, United would be easily ten points worse off imo. They would still be title contenders obviously, but I think he is the reason they won so comfortably. Without him, City could easily be champions again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Well, for starters, one of them is among the most promising forwards in world football, and the other is Ricky Lambert

The Football Writer's Award:

Bale -53% of the votes
    2nd -RVP 43%
    3rd - Mata 2%.

Suarez got 2 votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Goals scored that directly translated to points is a silly statistic.

Goals scored that tied the score or put the scorer's team ahead at that moment in the game would be a much better statistic.

You score the first in a 3 - 1 defeat that goal was still valuable. You score two in a 2 - 2 draw that put your team ahead twice then the stats might say your goal was directly responsible for one point or none, but that really wasn't your fault. I'm going to put this stat up there with pass accuracy in terms of usefulness tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

rarnes1 wrote: »

He's losing what argument? People are putting a BS argument against him that Suarez is more deserving than RVP when Goals, assists, wins, importance of goals, reliability to team and basically everything else is going against him.

It is frankly hilarious that this thread was created by a Liverpool fan on the day Suarez surpassed RVP's goal tally. For the first few pages, that tally was used as one of the main pro-Suarez arguments. Now that he no longer has it, suddenly the stats don't matter at all! You have to watch the players in question in every game to form an opinion. Hilarious

The Football Writer's Award:

Bale -53% of the votes
    2nd -RVP 43%
    3rd - Mata 2%.

Suarez got 2 votes.

Says a lot.

How many votes is there I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He's losing what argument? People are putting a BS argument against him that Suarez is more deserving than RVP when Goals, assists, wins, importance of goals, reliability to team and basically everything else is going against him.

It is frankly hilarious that this thread was created by a Liverpool fan on the day Suarez surpassed RVP's goal tally. For the first few pages, that tally was used as one of the main pro-Suarez arguments. Now that he no longer has it, suddenly the stats don't matter at all! You have to watch the players in question in every game to form an opinion. Hilarious

Gave me a giggle anyway :)
    Have to laugh at how easy people's opinions swing to suit their argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

2 votes for Suarez is gas altogether.

Telegraph reporting that Suarez got only 1 vote.

Gareth Bale of Tottenham Hotspur wins Football Writers' Player of the Year award, Luis Suarez receives just one vote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10032934/Gareth-Bale-of-Tottenham-Hotspur-wins-Football-Writers-Player-of-the-Year-award-Luis-Suarez-receives-just-one-vote.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

SlickRic wrote: »
    2 votes for Suarez is gas altogether.

Yup, should have been 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Telegraph reporting that Suarez got only 1 vote.

Gareth Bale of Tottenham Hotspur wins Football Writers' Player of the Year award, Luis Suarez receives just one vote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10032934/Gareth-Bale-of-Tottenham-Hotspur-wins-Football-Writers-Player-of-the-Year-award-Luis-Suarez-receives-just-one-vote.html

Phew, thank god for that! There is sanity in the world and people actually do agree that you can't carry on like that and expect to win footballer of the year based solely on talent!!

Its based on more that that and even though it was a close call between Bale and RVP for me, at least that scumbag didn't get a look in.

Delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Phew, thank god for that! There is sanity in the world and people actually do agree that you can't carry on like that and expect to win footballer of the year based solely on talent!!

Its based on more that that and even though it was a close call between Bale and RVP for me, at least that scumbag didn't get a look in.

Delighted :D

Hillarious

once again, bale does it when Spurs need him most..

Big players win big points ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

He just loves to play for spurs...he just loves to play for spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Will they sing that song wherever he plays next?

No, actually you would think they will probably change the name to that of their own club I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Shearer and Hanson were talking about him leaving Spurs for a bigger club last night.

After seeing Bale's post match interview on MOTD Id have to say it looks like his head (hat) has been turned already. Boom boom.

*gets coat*

• Advertisement
Advertisement