Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography portfolios for college courses, need help fast??

• 02-03-2013 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hello, I have a lot of portfolios assessments this month for photography, but I never started them because I bascially haven't got a clue where to start! I don't know if portfolios have to be really professional and binded together with expensive glossy paper, or if you can bring them in loose in normal folders and have them printed on normal paper. When I applied for my PLC in Photography, the portfolio could look like anything, just has long it was presented nicely.

So help would be really appreaciated, thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

what college/course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

DIT expects 3-4 themes over about 25-30 images. Get images that fit well together (especially if they are together on a double page). You can use A4 portfolio books or A1 size portfolio folders. A4 should be big enough. I always used an A4 folder book with plastic sleeves, put some black sugar paper in the sleeves and had images mounted to the sugar paper. Small, cheap, simple and easy. You don't get marked on your portfolio. Don't get intimidated by people with massive portfolios when handing it in. They are art students with paintings/drawings and need the bigger size.
    I personally prefer images printed onto matt/pearl paper. In my opinion it looks better than a gloss finish. It's personal opinion so go with whatever you think looks better.

DIT marks out of 9 points (creativity, articulation and technical ability ranking 0,1,2 or 3 points for each. 9 points being a full 600 points in CAO terms...so each point being about 67 points.

IADT expect 2-3 themes over about 25 images and have a different marking system.

Thats how it was about 10 years ago anyway. It might have changed now?

Basically you want several sets of strong images that look well, show some ability, creativity and probably more importantly convey what they mean easily. Go with images that you feel work and you think are good and try not to put images together you think other people will like. It just won't flow and work as well and it won't be an accurate interpretation of the way you work when its being looked at.

If you have 3 themes over 25-ish images you could have 3 main themes each with 6 images and maybe break each theme up with 2 images unrelated (mini themes I guess?), perhaps printed at a smaller size so its obvious its a break from 1 theme to the next. It can also give you an opportunity to sneak in some favourite images that might not fit in with ANYHTING you've shot before.

Whatever the outcome, don't get disheartened. Portfolios can take a bit of time to prep but you have plenty of time if you get your head down. At worst you can enrol in a portfolio course/PLC course inthe likes of Sallynoggin and Stillorgan VEC (if they still do them?) and spend a year working on your portfolio before you would have to resubmit the following year.

For me, I did a portfolio course for a year and was unsuccessful with my CAO application to DIT that year. I sucked it up and continued shooting on my own and got 600 points for the next few years when I applied. I never took the place as I was already working but wanted to keep the option open.

Just give it your best shot and be true to yourself in what you think works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pete4130 wrote: »
    and be true to yourself in what you think works.

agree with what pete says , but that bit at the end is so important , show you can think, create and shoot with your own personal imagination - i.e. you think and see things differently

Advertisement