Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paint ugly wall or reed screening

• 02-03-2013 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Have 7 foot walk in garden and climbers planted . Its really ugly so was thinking of either painting white and letting climbers cover or else buy reed /bamboo screening and putting all around.
    Bearing in mind that each option will hopefully be 90% covered over in time with only the odd patch showing through,what do people recommend?
    Does screening last ? Don't want to have to cut climbers to the ground in 5 years time to remove rotting screen( am assuming they don't last forever!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

If you want the wall to be less noticable and fade into the background I'd paint it black rather than white. You've a number of options regarding trellis for the climbers. wood rots eventually. You could use painted rebar mesh or wire to support the climbers. both can look very neat and work brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I doubt bamboo screen will last even 5 years, quite apart from the fact that climbers will pull it away from the wall. I wouldn't go there, not if you are going to grow climbers.

While I understand the principle involved in painting the wall black, I wouldn't recommend that either, but nor would I paint it white. I painted similar walls with cream and it worked fairly well, I might have gone a slightly darker colour I think, but I wouldn't go as far as black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

looksee wrote: »
    I doubt bamboo screen will last even 5 years, quite apart from the fact that climbers will pull it away from the wall. I wouldn't go there, not if you are going to grow climbers.

While I understand the principle involved in painting the wall black, I wouldn't recommend that either, but nor would I paint it white. I painted similar walls with cream and it worked fairly well, I might have gone a slightly darker colour I think, but I wouldn't go as far as black.

Glad i checked-guy in woodies said screening would be no problem with climbers because nailed into concrete wall ! Also said that because ultimately would be mostly covered by climbers, would last forever, even though tatty and worn.
    Anyone recommend a decent masonry paint?

Ok, good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

seefin wrote: »
    Glad i checked-guy in woodies said screening would be no problem with climbers because nailed into concrete wall ! Also said that because ultimately would be mostly covered by climbers, would last forever, even though tatty and worn.
    Anyone recommend a decent masonry paint?

I wouldnt believe everything a "woodies employee" tells you.:pac:

You will get far better information and advice here .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wouldnt believe everything a "woodies employee" tells you.:pac:

You will get far better information and advice here .:)

Completly agree. In my experience Woodies trellis is pure crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Coll1e wrote: »

Completly agree. In my experience Woodies trellis is pure crap.

sorry meant screening,not trellis!
    Partner is really pushing to get bamboo screen as says concrete blocks will eat paint and work out as expensive ( plus alot more work on his part which Im sure is the real reason!! ). If we get in a garden centre, would quality be better? It would look fantastic, surely they can't be that bad if garden centres all selling them?
    I wouldn't mind replacing every few years,just hate thought of having to cut down climbers( which as yet are twinkles in my eye !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I painted all our walls cream/magnolia about 3 years ago. Used Woodies brand masonary paint and worked out very cheap. Still looks great.

redser7 wrote: »
    I painted all our walls cream/magnolia about 3 years ago. Used Woodies brand masonary paint and worked out very cheap. Still looks great.

On a side note..........

How the hell did you get to become a mod like?????:confused::pac::D

Congratts btw.:)

They had coke and hookers to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

looksee wrote: »
    They had coke and hookers to spare.

And there was me thinking it was the other type of coke and hoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

sorry meant screening,not trellis!
    Partner is really pushing to get bamboo screen as says concrete blocks will eat paint and work out as expensive ( plus alot more work on his part which Im sure is the real reason!! ) !)

Not much work involved if its just brick to do. I have half fenced & half brick wall garden. Used red cedar for fence & black masonry paint, black cement fence posts were a pain but masonry roller did quick job of wall.

8yrs on heres what it looked like yesterday, bear in mind I was a lazy bitch that had one 10ltr tub & wasn't going back for more so only applied 1.5?? coats & havn't gotten around to touchups - I like the weathering! Honest!

Strongly thinking of purple this year though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

DaisyD2 wrote: »
    Not much work involved if its just brick to do. I have half fenced & half brick wall garden. Used red cedar for fence & black masonry paint, black cement fence posts were a pain but masonry roller did quick job of wall.

8yrs on heres what it looked like yesterday, bear in mind I was a lazy bitch that had one 10ltr tub & wasn't going back for more so only applied 1.5?? coats & havn't gotten around to touchups - I like the weathering! Honest!

That's a very nice corner you have there.

DaisyD2 wrote: »

One coat external coloured render for those walls.:)

OR

Dilute external paint by 20% and paint/roller on as a primer coat.

Leave for a day and then apply 2 full coats of the external paint.

Job done for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Have 7 foot walk in garden and climbers planted . Its really ugly so was thinking of either painting white and letting climbers cover or else buy reed /bamboo screening and putting all around.
    Bearing in mind that each option will hopefully be 90% covered over in time with only the odd patch showing through,what do people recommend?
    Does screening last ? Don't want to have to cut climbers to the ground in 5 years time to remove rotting screen( am assuming they don't last forever!)

Seefin,
    What did you do in the end?

I have a similar situation.
    I've already trellised some with ones I made myself, but I was thinking of either planting bamboo or buying bamboo screen and then plant climbers.

Advertisement