Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART fine

• 02-03-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Was on the DART earlier today using my dad's pass. Was caught by inspectors, they took my details, the pass and issued me with a fine of €100 which will be sent by post.
    The inspector mentioned some sort of appeal I can make, anyone know what that means?
    I'm under 18, is there anyway I can slip away from this fine, and what will happen if I just ignore it? (as in, can they take legal action against me)
    (They took the fine in my dad's name)

Please, if you're all you're going to do is scold me then don't bother responding, I know I was in the wrong, but honestly I really don't wanna pay that steep a fine, it'll take two whole weekend's work to repay, please just give advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Please, if you're all you're going to do is scold me then don't bother responding, I know I was in the wrong, but honestly I really don't wanna pay that steep a fine, it'll take two whole weekend's work to repay, please just give advise

LOL yeah that's gonna work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What are your proposed grounds for appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eoghandorman

What are your proposed grounds for appeal?
    That there was no money in the house at the time of my leaving for work (for which I was late for too), so I took my fathers dart pass for the day. It's the truth but is there any hope in evading the fine off that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That there was no money in the house at the time of my leaving for work (for which I was late for too), so I took my fathers dart pass for the day. It's the truth but is there any hope in evading the fine off that!

Not a chance to be fair.

Your dad's pass is only for your dad to use I would have guessed.

As much as I think the OP should have been put in the cells for a couple of hours a quick question.

He's under 18 - so can they fine him?
    His father didn't give permission for his pass to be used so I presume they can't fine him.

OP don't be so incredibly daft in future. Not a big leap from doing this to something that could land you with a criminal record that will stick with you for the rest of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I presume the father is also liable. Op talk to your dad. Failure to pay the fine can lead to court appearance, conviction and 1,000 fine. As his card is also in jeopardy I think he should be told. It's 100 yo yos?
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/FixedPenaltyDLLeafletV.4180620121.pdf

Also I don't think you've valid appeal groundshttp://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_evasion.php

I presume the father is also liable. Op talk to your dad. Failure to pay the fine can lead to court appearance, conviction and 1,000 fine. As his card is also in jeopardy I think he should be told. It's 100 yo yos?
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/FixedPenaltyDLLeafletV.4180620121.pdf

Also I don't think you've valid appeal groundshttp://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_evasion.php

My way of thinking would be that I wasn't given his consent before using it, therefore he could not be held liable. My mother knew but she is not the legal owner either. Therefore the blame must lay on me. However as I am under tha age of 18, is it within the law for them to fine me. If they can't fine me as a minor, can they just push the fine onto my legal guardians?
    It also says that the dart pass will be kept, and both myself and the owner could face prosecution. Do they follow through with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Do they follow through with this?

Yes, they certainly do follow through. Talk to your parents, pay the fine, and move on. Otherwise, you will end up in court having to explain yourself to a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Why do you think they can't fine you as a minor?

Do you think that under 18s are immune from criminal responsibility?

It's always best to start from the common sense position and work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

So your proposed defence is to confess that you stole the pass and are under 18 so can't be prosecuted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

You've probably never seen the children's court. I work near it and you sound like the type of person who would not like having to spend too long with the other juveniles who frequent the place. I think your parents would rather pay 100e than have to hang around there with the regulars and their parents.

drkpower wrote: »
    Why do you think they can't fine you as a minor?

Do you think that under 18s are immune from criminal responsibility?

It's always best to start from the common sense position and work from there.
    SB2013 wrote: »
    So your proposed defence is to confess that you stole the pass and are under 18 so can't be prosecuted?

But the fine hasn't been imposed by a court or indeed through a criminal law. My understanding of penalty fares and fines of this type that they were quasi-contract. Happy to be corrected.

But the fine hasn't been imposed by a court or indeed through a criminal law. My understanding of penalty fares and fines of this type that they were quasi-contract. Happy to be corrected.

The fine is imposed by criminal law. The op was given an on the spot fine by a member of CIE under legislative powers conferred upon them by the oireachtas. Otherwise all fare evaders would be wasting hours of precious court time.

. If the op refuses or fails to pay then the matter will be brought to court toddetermine the matter and a court fine will be imposed. If the op fails to pay this then the gardai may issue a warrant to imprison him or her.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The fine is imposed by criminal law. The op was given an on the spot fine by a member of CIE under legislative powers conferred upon them by the oireachtas. Otherwise all fare evaders would be wasting hours of precious court time.

. If the op refuses or fails to pay then the matter will be brought to court toddetermine the matter and a court fine will be imposed. If the op fails to pay this then the gardai may issue a warrant to imprison him or her.

The OP was not fined by Irish Rail, but given a fixed penalty notice. If he doesn't pay, it will go to court, and the court will impose a fine.

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_faq.jsp?i=4272&caID=64&ci=1&pc=1&gc=0&p=115&n=130

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/FixedPenaltyDLLeafletV.51.pdf

Ok so assuming I pay the fine, seeing as my appeal is looking pretty weak, will they still hold on to my fathers pass. Just found out the pass itself is worth €1200. Can he not take it back, on the grounds that he had no idea it had been taken?

Ok so assuming I pay the fine, seeing as my appeal is looking pretty weak, will they still hold on to my fathers pass. Just found out the pass itself is worth €1200. Can he not take it back, on the grounds that he had no idea it had been taken?

25 full weekends at this stage.

25weekends until he gets it back?

25weekends until he gets it back?

If it takes you 2 weekends to pay €100 you'll need to work another 24 weekends to pay for the pass.

It'd be dicey enough getting it back as if your dad claims he knew nothing about it you might be open to other potential issues. Others clearly know more than I so I'd wait for a more considered answer.

He can't simply take it back. It was misused by a member of the family. The pass is subject to terms and conditions, such as usage. Breaking those rules can mean that the ticket is then made void.

He can make an appeal though, but this is up to the decision of IrishRail.

Paulw wrote: »

The OP was not fined by Irish Rail, but given a fixed penalty notice. If he doesn't pay, it will go to court, and the court will impose a fine.

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_faq.jsp?i=4272&caID=64&ci=1&pc=1&gc=0&p=115&n=130

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/FixedPenaltyDLLeafletV.51.pdf

Yes. He was given a fixed penalty notice from Irish rail.

• Advertisement

He can't simply take it back. It was misused by a member of the family. The pass is subject to terms and conditions, such as usage. Breaking those rules can mean that the ticket is then made void.

He can make an appeal though, but this is up to the decision of IrishRail.

Again I'm a bit confused by this but I'm sure on a practical level you're correct. Surely someone can't be held responsible for the actions of another?

Again I'm a bit confused by this but I'm sure on a practical level you're correct. Surely someone can't be held responsible for the actions of another?

I can't find a link right now, but I believe one of the terms is that you are responsible for the card and usage of the card. So, if it is misused (ie used by someone other than the card owner) you are in breach of those conditions.

The card was not reported as stolen, therefore IrishRail would make the assumption that the card was used with permission.

I can't find a link right now, but I believe one of the terms is that you are responsible for the card and usage of the card. So, if it is misused (ie used by someone other than the card owner) you are in breach of those conditions.

The card was not reported as stolen, therefore IrishRail would make the assumption that the card was used with permission.

Surely they can improvise. If the card was taken that day, unbeknownst to the owner, then he would nt be able to report it missing. Don't they feel any empathy?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I'm not impressed by this thread. Think it should be closed.

f the card was taken that day, unbeknownst to the owner, then he would nt be able to report it missing. Don't they feel any empathy?

Don't you feel any remorse? You took the card. You didn't pay the correct fare on the DART. You received a fixed penalty notice and you also caused your dad's card to be confiscated.

Pay your fixed penalty notice, repay your dad for his card, learn your lesson and move on. There is no way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Surely they can improvise. If the card was taken that day, unbeknownst to the owner, then he would nt be able to report it missing. Don't they feel any empathy?

I think your father would have to swear out a complaint to the Guards that it was stolen and the Guards would launch criminal procedures against the thief (ie you).

The Guards would take the pass off Irish Rail as evidence and at the end of your case in court your father would have his stolen property returned to him.

You wouldn't suffer anything major as you are just a kid and might get away with community service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You wouldn't suffer anything major as you are just a kid and might get away with community service.
    It would still be a conviction for two offences.

OP, talk to your parents, explain what happened - this is the least of your worries. Have your father talk to Irish Rail about his ticket - do not discuss it with them yourself.

Paying the ticket will cost you €100 (and possibly the amount of the fare also).

Going to court will cost you €100, solicitor fees and possibly much more. Do not go to court without a solicitor - get free legal aid if necessary.

This is a life lesson - learn from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think your father would have to swear out a complaint to the Guards that it was stolen and the Guards would launch criminal procedures against the thief (ie you).

The Guards would take the pass off Irish Rail as evidence and at the end of your case in court your father would have his stolen property returned to him.

If op goes down this route, is this not in effect, adding another crime of sorts, e.g. 'wasting garda time' to what is currently just a Fixed Penalty Notice.

Advertisement