Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No silly questions?????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

I don't know what gun it is, I was told but I can't remember,only had a couple of shots off it

• Registered Users Posts: 37 guerrilla podge

If it was his first gun I was sure you had to have a Proficiency course done in order to get a Firearm

doing a proficiency course is not a requirement to getting a fire arm but will make getting a licencse a lot easier. nowhere is it writen into law.

i would certainly be of the opinion that all firearm holders should do one no matter of age or experience. i reckon it would be just good safe practice.

safety at all times is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

doing a proficiency course is not a requirement to getting a fire arm

A proficiency course isn't. A competency course is needed for your first licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Blay wrote: »
    A proficiency course isn't. A competency course is needed for your first licence.
    No, it isn't; see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 guerrilla podge

Blay wrote: »

i never had to get one when i started but that 10 years ago granted i went and did a course any way but that was of my own choice and didnt want any further licencse applications rejected. i did it to show that i was a responsible firearm user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe someone could link a youtube video showing the OP how to do it? Here's two videos, but as both are American, they could be about a different loading mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tac foley wrote: »
    Uh, a bolt action rifle is a bolt action rifle. There are TWO basic types.
    Sorry dude, I don't shoot. I plead ignorance:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The round did not extract when When I cycled the bolt hence I asked on here!
    TBH my first train of thought was a pen knife but I thought it better to discharge the weapon safely rather than fumble around with a blade

Oh,and my home is on site

As I mentioned in post 10, I have had the same problem with CCI ammo in my CZ. I have not had that problem with any other brand. It is now over sixtytwo years since I first fired a .22 rifle and have not had that problem with any other rifle, target or sporting. A point worth mentioning since the OP's father is new to rifles, is to try a few different makes of cartrige to find what suits his own rifle best as each rifle will favour a particular brand.

Uh, a bolt action rifle is a bolt action rifle. There are TWO basic types.
    One is right-handed.
    The other is left-handed.
    Do you not classify straight-pull bolt actions as a different kind of bolt action given how different their mechanics are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

The round did not extract when When I cycled the bolt hence I asked on here!
    TBH my first train of thought was a pen knife but I thought it better to discharge the weapon safely rather than fumble around with a blade

Oh,and my home is on site

Had you said that in your first post, my brow would have a few less wrinkles,

make a whole load of difference.

• Advertisement

I was trying to keep it simple.:cool:
    That's a good approach, in my experience. So let me use it here.

We're a lot more interested in people learning the right answer than in letting other people get in a kick because they weren't born knowing the answer. People who ask get answered and then ten others learn from that answer quietly, and eleven accidents get prevented (more, if you count the people those eleven then teach later on). So we regard it as being highly important that people feel they can ask a safety question in here, even if they think it's silly.

So the next time someone asks a basic safety question and you berate them for not knowing the answer, no matter how you dress it up, I will permanently ban you from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Still though, the bare minimum acceptable level of competence has to include safely dealing with a malfunction, whether a misfire, hangfire, jam , failure to eject or whatever.

There's too many shooters out there not capable of dealing with basic issues like this, as any dealer can attest - customers turning up at the shop with a round up the spout is a far too regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

My answer to this post.

There is NO Such Thing as a silly question only the stupid answers.

I've made very silly mistakes and ONE very bad dangerous one in the past.
    I only hope to pass on my good sense to other people as best I can.

Just remember there's not such thing as 'COMMON SENSE' only experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A very simple way of making safe a rifle or pistol with a round jammed in the chamber is in this order : remove the magazine, rack/cycle the working parts to the rear ( doesn't matter if it's a bolt action, semi auto or full blown assault rifle ) and lock them to the rear/take out the bolt to prevent the bolt face from coming in contact with the wedged round.

After that you can wedge the lot if you like with a safety flag, a little bit of wood, a rolled up stick of chewing gum for all I care as long as you can make sure the bolt can't close on the wedged round. You can safely transport the gun that way and remove the round in comfort.

Remember to remove the magazine first, the last thing you want is another round to cycle and clutter things up even more.

If the gun doesn't open ( you've for example broken the cocking handle ) do what you did; remove the magazine, aim into a safe backstop and fire the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Hi OP. Seeing as you're in the Blessington it might not be any harm to ask if Hilltop will be doing any proficiency/competency courses in the rifles classifications in the near future. Not sure that they'll take people outside of the club, but it's better to be safe than sorry and the lads up there are a good bunch, so they just might be able to help you out.

Oh and I mean for both you AND your dad to do it.

Contacting Hilltop

Office: 01-2818025

Fax: 01-2818026

For out of hours enquires please use

Mobile: 0862502201
    Email: hilltopsport@gmail.com

Opening Hours
    :: Monday: Closed
    :: Tuesday: 10am - 6pm (Late by appointment)
    :: Wednesday:10am - 8pm
    :: Thursday: 10am - 8pm
    :: Friday: 10am - 6pm (Late by appointment)
    :: Saturday: 10am - 5.30pm
    :: Sunday: 10am - 5.30pm

A very simple way of making safe a rifle or pistol with a round jammed in the chamber is in this order : remove the magazine, rack/cycle the working parts to the rear ( doesn't matter if it's a bolt action, semi auto or full blown assault rifle ) and lock them to the rear/take out the bolt to prevent the bolt face from coming in contact with the wedged round.

After that you can wedge the lot if you like with a safety flag, a little bit of wood, a rolled up stick of chewing gum for all I care as long as you can make sure the bolt can't close on the wedged round. You can safely transport the gun that way and remove the round in comfort.

Remember to remove the magazine first, the last thing you want is another round to cycle and clutter things up even more.

Don't forget to wait those vital 30-60 seconds before you go pulling or pushing at any stuck bullets or removing mags. Just in case there is a slow fire on the round. You don't need anything blowing off fingers, or losing eyesight, just 'cause you're in a hurry. :eek:

LB6 wrote: »
    Don't forget to wait those vital 30-60 seconds before you go pulling or pushing at any stuck bullets or removing mags. Just in case there is a slow fire on the round. You don't need anything blowing off fingers, or losing eyesight, just 'cause you're in a hurry. :eek:

Doesn't matter if it's just a wedged round and no attempt to fire it has been made. A misfire or hang fire is a different story, a healty little count to 30 keeping on aim before unloading is definitely called for alright in that scenario.

Doesn't matter if it's just a wedged round and no attempt to fire it has been made. A misfire or hang fire is a different story, a healty little count to 30 keeping on aim before unloading is definitely called for alright in that scenario.

Correct and true, if it's just wedged.

However, up to a minute is a short time compared to a lifetime of possible injury.

Better to err on the side of caution.:D

LB6 wrote: »
    Correct and true, if it's just wedged.

However, up to a minute is a short time compared to a lifetime of possible injury.

Better to err on the side of caution.:D

Beats counting to seven on all fingers of both hands alright.....

Advertisement