Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for recording Piano for Youtube ?

• 02-03-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭

my son wants to record some of his piano pieces (upright) to upload to youtube. I dont have any mics and the quality of the sound is poor just using standard cameras. What are the basic steps involved and any (reasonably priced) equipment suggestions would be helpful. I live in Dublin so anything in town would be great for shop suggestions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Irish Musician

You can get a pretty good sound out of newer cameras but it is not quite there.You haven't said what you would be recording it to,also do you have an idea how much you want to spend. A reasonable vocal mic like a shure sm 58 will give you an ok sound.The thing is acoustic pianos are not the easiest thing to record cheaply. Another solution would be to record it using a digital piano and use a direct feed into your camera if it is possible.

Sometimes putting the camera mic in the right position will give you good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

rent borrow or buy a ZOOM camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks, I bought a Zoom H4n in the end and used Windows Movie Maker to mix them. Playing around with Sony Vegas now which looks better

first attempt here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m59zO6-2c8

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Irish Musician

silverharp wrote: »
    thanks, I bought a Zoom H4n in the end and used Windows Movie Maker to mix them. Playing around with Sony Vegas now which looks better

first attempt here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m59zO6-2c8

Very nice playing.

Advertisement