Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat Belts (2013)

Options
  • 02-03-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Does anyone know the full story regarding seat belts in campers? I looked through the Internet and could only find info on the craic in the UK but not here.

For example, we have six kids (one is just 11-weeks old) and the camper we're planning on getting will seat and sleep all of us comfortably. It is a 2003 model, but the thing is it only comes with six seat belts fitted, and none of these are in the U-Lounge. I have heard that as long as the existing belts are used, we will be OK legally.

Is this really the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

pat13wx wrote: »
    Does anyone know the full story regarding seat belts in campers? I looked through the Internet and could only find info on the craic in the UK but not here.

For example, we have six kids (one is just 11-weeks old) and the camper we're planning on getting will seat and sleep all of us comfortably. It is a 2003 model, but the thing is it only comes with six seat belts fitted, and none of these are in the U-Lounge. I have heard that as long as the existing belts are used, we will be OK legally.

Is this really the case?

Not sure i fully understand the question but if you're suggesting 8 people legally travelling in a van with six belts then I think you'll have problems. Tbh I'd be more concerned with safety then a few points or a summons.

It may be possible to add belts depending on the van, layout etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

For insurance reasons , everyone in the camper must be seat belted.
    Your insurance will be considered void if any person is travelling in your vehicle at the time of an accident without a seatbelt on.

As far as the law goes its a grey area and different Gardai will tell you differently. Some will tell you that if you have 6 belts , then the extra people are ok without belts.

As stated by Swanner above , I would be more concerned with safety and insurance issues rather than than legal issues.

Kevin. www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Would I not be right in saying that in vehicles in general, side-facing seats don't require seat belts?

I recall reading something to this effect in the Emergency Services forum when a discussion came up about prisoners not being seat-belted in the backs of vans. As far as I know, lots of 'special' vehicles (party bus, limousine, etc.) that feature primarily side-facing seating aren't equipped with belts for those seats?

Now I don't know what an average camper interior looks like, but would this apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A motor caravan should be certified as having a particular number of 'travel seats', this is to distinguish the difference between the seats certified to be used when travelling and those for use for 'lounging' when parked up.

The form RF101 (log book in old money) should indicate this number at S1 and it is this number of seats which the insurance will equate to the number of people which the vehicle should carry while on the road.

There should also be a sticker or other indication of which seats are those certified as travel seats, this is sometimes indicated by a sticker showing a seat belt.

Older motorhomes may have 'travel seats' not fitted with belts and it is legal to use these un-restrained.

Carrying more than the number recorded on the RF101 could invalidate your insurance.

Carrying passengers in side facing seats is very dangerous and may now in fact be an offence except perhaps for specially exempted vehicles, see HERE

BTW, if there are more than 8 passenger seats this opens the question as to whether a D1 driving licence is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

This first part my answer some questions but you still need to have a seat?

Taken from the link above.

Are there any exemptions to wearing a seatbelt?
    Yes, the following exemptions apply:–

A person occupying a seat which is not fitted with a seat belt

• Advertisement
Advertisement