Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat rehoming problem

• 03-03-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I took in a kitten who was in need of a home last February. However I'm currently getting ready to move house, I assumed I could bring him with me, but my new landlord is strictly against pets. I have asked family, friends, co-workers, neighbours, everyone I could think of to try find a new home for my cat, but had no luck. I have tried the usual rehoming websites (catsaid, dspca, etc) however none seem to be taking in new animals. I'm starting to panic as the move is happening shortly and I don't know what is going to happen to the little guy. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Try posting in the Rehoming thread here, I'll also PM you another rescue to try (we can't name them in this forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hi,
    I'm not much help sorry but maybe you could ask your landlord if he would allow the cat to stay with you if you paid a bit extra?
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

sotisme wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not much help sorry but maybe you could ask your landlord if he would allow the cat to stay with you if you paid a bit extra?
    Good luck

Either that, or maybe you could offer a pet insurance with third party liability, which covers any damage done by the kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Landlords not allowing pets is something that makes me furious. Kids can do far more damage than a pet but you'll see very few landlords refusing to rent to people with kids, whereas most tenancy agreements have a no pets clause as standard and often the only rental accomodation allowing pets are awful places that nobody would want to live in.

Most people have to put up a months rent as a deposit so surely that would more than cover any damage a pet would do. Damage that kids cause could be argued, in some cases, as normal wear and tear. Our insurance policy for our 2 cats has 3rd party liability and its handy to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I recommend finding a different landlord. I rent and can have whatever pets I would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If landlords would just move away from those typical '1 year lease contracts', and if renting would be more popular, maybe it would be easier to move in with a pet, imo.

The way it is now, long term contracts like in Germany are not even on the horizon, and landlords think, you leave the place in a mess anyway, maybe that's why they don't want pets...even if there is no pet known to me, who breaks windows, tumble dryers, etc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Lars1916 wrote: »
    If landlords would just move away from those typical '1 year lease contracts', and if renting would be more popular, maybe it would be easier to move in with a pet, imo.

The way it is now, long term contracts like in Germany are not even on the horizon, and landlords think, you leave the place in a mess anyway, maybe that's why they don't want pets...even if there is no pet known to me, who breaks windows, tumble dryers, etc ;)

We've been renting with pets no problem, even in places that were not advertised as pet friendly. The trick is to show up and make a good impression, then ask about the pet and make it obvious that you are willing to pay 150% of deposit if needed (were never asked to do it but it proves that you're responsible). Of all the places we've seen over the years only one refused and it was over a nosy neighbour who hated dogs and was known for reporting them at every opportunity, the landlord didn't want the hassle of receiving such correspondence etc.

Advertisement