Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N.I. refugees in Finner Camp

Options
  • 02-03-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Not sure how to start a new thread here, but am looking for anyone who might have been in Finner camp 1969/1970, was as a child a refugee from the North tho was actually brought up in England, which made life difficult in N.Ire at that time!!!! have fantastic memories of Finner as we were the only family there at the time and the lads treated us like little sisters!!! Names I can remember ( not many unfortunately) are Malcolm( or Malachy?) a sergeant who we knew as Foxy? and possibly a Diarmud?? am hoping for any photos that may have been taken...and to say thank you for the days I remember as happy, safe and secure!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above post moved to a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Hi Gregan,

I have a book about the history of Finner Camp but unfortunately it does not go into much detail of when the camp was used to house refugees. It mentions a few of the officers names but none of the NCO's or men you named.

It does say that there was a lot of goodwill in the local areas at the time towards the refugees and that the mayor of Sligo organised a fundraiser to buy washing machines and dryers for the camp to be used by the families. The book mentions the initial influx of refugeess from the North were mainly women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gregan

Thank you for ur post, my mother and 7 of us children were actually there first and for a while there was no other families, and yes there was a lot of goodwill toward us, I have very happy memories as the lads treated us like younger brothers and sisters....we were spoilt!!

Advertisement