Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭

Guys
    I'm not that tech savvy and no very little about computers etc.
    I did a quick google today to see could I stream a movie or music from my laptop to my android device and found that I could.
    I followed a Youtube video about setting up an FTP server in Windows 8 and I successfully did so. I then managed to watch a few minutes of a movie which I streamed from my PC to my phone.

All well and good but.........how much of my monthly internet allowance does streaming like this use?

If a movie is say 1GB in size am I going to use 1GB of data streaming that across to my phone?? Is it as simple an 'equation' as that??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

G1032 wrote: »
    Guys
    I'm not that tech savvy and no very little about computers etc.
    I did a quick google today to see could I stream a movie or music from my laptop to my android device and found that I could.
    I followed a Youtube video about setting up an FTP server in Windows 8 and I successfully did so. I then managed to watch a few minutes of a movie which I streamed from my PC to my phone.

All well and good but.........how much of my monthly internet allowance does streaming like this use?

If a movie is say 1GB in size am I going to use 1GB (and slightly more up and down) of data streaming that across to my phone?? Is it as simple an 'equation' as that??
    Were you "streaming" from outside of your own home network?
    If you weren't (as in your phone and PC were connected to the same wireless network) then it doesn't effect your data "balance" as this is only for data access on the 3G (mobile) network.

For reference:
    FTP'ing one gig of data would use 1 gig of data as far as I am aware, there is some speciailist software out there that can be used for the purpose you mention which will compress the video before you stream it which would utilise less data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

I was streaming on my home network as in both my laptop and phone were connected to the home broadband wifi.
    I only have 40gb allowance for home broadband do I'm guessing this streaming would use that up pretty fast?

If you're just streaming within the home network this won't use your data allowance at all. If you were streaming from one internet connection to another (such as to a mobile device via 3G or to another location) then this would use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You don't need to setup an FTP server, I just share a folder on the PC and can access it from my phone.

You don't need to setup an FTP server, I just share a folder on the PC and can access it from my phone.
    How do you access it then? I'm clueless about this stuff!!

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    If you're just streaming within the home network this won't use your data allowance at all. If you were streaming from one internet connection to another (such as to a mobile device via 3G or to another location) then this would use it.
    And sorry for another stupid question... I'm assuming I'd be using double the data to view from outside the house... The data to upload it from the PC and then the 3G to watch it on the phone?

And sorry for another stupid question... I'm assuming I'd be using double the data to view from outside the house... The data to upload it from the PC and then the 3G to watch it on the phone?

Exactly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How do you access it then? I'm clueless about this stuff!!

An app like this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop will find the shared folders on your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 avgjoe

You could use plex if you are open to trying something other than FTP.

The android client costs 3.71 but you can install it on all your android devices for that one off fee. The server software is free.

You can change the settings so that it uses different video quality if you are on your local network or using it remotely which should help if you are trying to stay within some data plan limit. It will transcode video to different formats if the client doesn't support the original file (don't think it can do this with music).

It also does some other nice things like get artwork for movies & track which one you have watched.

Advertisement