Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning RU Domain via .htaccess

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to ban a domain with like *.ru? I'm getting a fierce amount of requests from these domains and there's no need to allow them access as I have a .ie domain.

Do I have to explicitly deny the entire IP range for Russia in .htaccess?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You would, and even that won't ban it completely as ip data can be hit and miss. You'd be better off doing this at the application level using geoip data, or better yet at the firewall level.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

I think its only IP numbers or specific website addresses. If your using WordPress look at the plugin Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin it checks against 3 Spam Databases. I have a site in beta and it has stopped 2857 spammers since 2013/02/16. Its the best one I have come across. I then block the ip numbers on the htaccess file. By the way its free you will get it on wordpress.org.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

B1gft wrote: »
    I think its only IP numbers or specific website addresses. If your using WordPress look at the plugin Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin it checks against 3 Spam Databases. I have a site in beta and it has stopped 2857 spammers since 2013/02/16. Its the best one I have come across. I then block the ip numbers on the htaccess file. By the way its free you will get it on wordpress.org.

Yeah I am using WordPress, comments aren't open so I'm more concerned about intrusion attempts although I haven't seen them go near wp-admin or wp-login.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

You could always hardcode it into your index.php...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

komodosp wrote: »
    You could always hardcode it into your index.php...

Good idea, I could check the http_referrer variable and regex it looking for *.ru then redirect to 404 or lol cats...

lolcatsdotcomcm90ebvhwphtzqvf.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement