Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route Roscoff to Provence

• 03-03-2013 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Thinking of route to Provence region for 3 weeks in July - looking for route/circuit to make the most of it. Take 3/4 days getting there and same back. We like to have 3 days in Southern Brittany before Ferry home. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

We've gone to Provence a few times from Cherbourg so this might help.

First route was Tours - Bourges - Clermont - Le Puy en Velay(recommended) - Valence - St Remy (Starry starry night etc etc, lovely).

Second time we went more direct: Rouen - Versailes (West around Paris - on a Sunday!) - Beaune (good overnight) - Lyons - La Couronne/Maritigues.

We also travelled back one of those times via Montpellier - Millau (spectacular suspension bridge) - Lot/Dordogne - Limoges - Poitiers .

This last route would bring you closest to Roscoff.

The Clermont-Montpellier A75 is also toll-free.

I reckoned with tolls and fuel, the cost from Cherbourg to South of France was about €200-€250.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Thanks for suggestions - will have a look at the map later - want to take a few days on way down. Week there and motor up to get a few days in Brittany before heading on ferry.

We've gone to Provence a few times from Cherbourg so this might help.

First route was Tours - Bourges - Clermont - Le Puy en Velay(recommended) - Valence - St Remy (Starry starry night etc etc, lovely).

Second time we went more direct: Rouen - Versailes (West around Paris - on a Sunday!) - Beaune (good overnight) - Lyons - La Couronne/Maritigues.

We also travelled back one of those times via Montpellier - Millau (spectacular suspension bridge) - Lot/Dordogne - Limoges - Poitiers .

This last route would bring you closest to Roscoff.

The Clermont-Montpellier A75 is also toll-free.

I reckoned with tolls and fuel, the cost from Cherbourg to South of France was about €200-€250.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi Martin,
    Here's a similar thread from a while back, saves me typing it out again:).......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81192053#post81192053

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Thanks for that - useful - not planning to go to Marseilles or to Med on this occasion - more the diagonal route a reasonable distance but not so far that we spend to much time driving.
    kelbal wrote: »
    Hi Martin,
    Here's a similar thread from a while back, saves me typing it out again:).......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81192053#post81192053

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

We did a very similar route last year, both on the way south and the way back.

Going south we headed straight from the ferry to the Loire valley and stayed in nice small towns and visited the likes of Saumur and Amboise and all the chateaux and caves. After that, it was a driving say to reach Annecy and we proceeded through the Alps for the best part of a week going through the likes of Grenoble, Briancon etc. That's a slightly long way so if you're looking to gt straight there it would probably be best to see the Loire Valley then head south via Le Puy en Velay. If you had the time I would highly recommend trying to catch some time in the alps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement