Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordinary level junior cert Irish, leaving cert higher level??

• 03-03-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I stayed in honours Irish until the middle of 3rd year. I was getting c's and d's. I was very lazy the whole way through 2nd and 3rd though so I was worried that I would fail Irish (My grammar was bad) I freaked and then dropped down to pass. I ended up getting a b. I was just wondering is it really realistic to do honours Irish for the leaving. I'm in ty now. I have an interest in primary teaching??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I stayed in honours Irish until the middle of 3rd year. I was getting c's and d's. I was very lazy the whole way through 2nd and 3rd though so I was worried that I would fail Irish (My grammar was bad) I freaked and then dropped down to pass. I ended up getting a b. I was just wondering is it really realistic to do honours Irish for the leaving. I'm in ty now. I have an interest in primary teaching??
    If you want teaching then you need it so you need to move up. Thre are 2 girls in my higher class who moved up from ordinary level and to be honest they're not great. One can hardly string a sentence together so it will be tough but if you're willing to work you'll be fine. My advice would be to go to colaiste na bhFiann during the summer (if possible both summers). You will really really improve. I went 3 times and I'm quite good (almost fluent). The reason why I say colaiste na bhFiann is because you actually do learn Irish. One of the girls in my class who moved up went to some other Gaeltacht and didn't really improve. You are guaranteed to improve with CNB! When I went in 5th year there was a girl who seriously could only say sea/nil/tá, she just nodded or pointed at things or stayed silent but by the end of the 3 weeks she had improved so much, you couldn't get her to be quiet! She could actually have a conversation whereas before she couldn't speak a word of Irish.
    Being comfortable with the language will give you a good start. If you get to go to the Gaeltacht you will find yourself being able to recall new words easier or get to grips with grammar a lot quicker. Also the oral will be so much easier and easier marks too!
    If at all possible go to colaiste na bhFiann, it will really help you! Good luck with whatever you do and apologies for any errors as I'm on my phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beccalikewha

Thanks! I was actually googling gaeltacht courses before I saw this lol :)

If you want teaching then you need it so you need to move up. Thre are 2 girls in my higher class who moved up from ordinary level and to be honest they're not great. One can hardly string a sentence together so it will be tough but if you're willing to work you'll be fine. My advice would be to go to colaiste na bhFiann during the summer (if possible both summers). You will really really improve. I went 3 times and I'm quite good (almost fluent). The reason why I say colaiste na bhFiann is because you actually do learn Irish. One of the girls in my class who moved up went to some other Gaeltacht and didn't really improve. You are guaranteed to improve with CNB! When I went in 5th year there was a girl who seriously could only say sea/nil/tá, she just nodded or pointed at things or stayed silent but by the end of the 3 weeks she had improved so much, you couldn't get her to be quiet! She could actually have a conversation whereas before she couldn't speak a word of Irish.
    Being comfortable with the language will give you a good start. If you get to go to the Gaeltacht you will find yourself being able to recall new words easier or get to grips with grammar a lot quicker. Also the oral will be so much easier and easier marks too!
    If at all possible go to colaiste na bhFiann, it will really help you! Good luck with whatever you do and apologies for any errors as I'm on my phone. :)

Thanks! :) Sounds good! Do you know where I could apply for a scholarship to a gaeltacht or any gaeltacht where there's competitions to get a couple of hundred cut of f the price?? I'm desperate to go really.. but my parents just can't afford it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'd really recommend going up to higher level if you're willing to put the work and time in to get a good grade! I moved up to HL from OL in 5th year and I'm glad I did so! The only thing I regret is not doing it soon enough! I left it till' half way through 5th year, and by that stage the class already had An Triail (the novel) read, so I missed out on that. It's grand now though, I have all the notes and stuff. :D
    I got an A in my Irish JC. I was lazy as hell and that's why I had done OL for JC. Finding HL for LC grand tbh, hope I get a B3 at least in it in the real thing. :)

But yeah, go for it! If you find it too difficult you can always drop back down again! I'm sure if you put enough work and study in you'd be grand though!

ray2012 wrote: »
    I'd really recommend going up to higher level if you're willing to put the work and time in to get a good grade! I moved up to HL from OL in 5th year and I'm glad I did so! The only thing I regret is not doing it soon enough! I left it till' half way through 5th year, and by that stage the class already had An Triail (the novel) read, so I missed out on that. It's grand now though, I have all the notes and stuff. :D
    I got an A in my Irish JC. I was lazy as hell and that's why I had done OL for JC. Finding HL for LC grand tbh, hope I get a B3 at least in it in the real thing. :)

But yeah, go for it! If you find it too difficult you can always drop back down again! I'm sure if you put enough work and study in you'd be grand though!

Thank you so much! That gave me hope :')

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 edele

Hi :-) . I also would recommend moving up. I did ordinary level for my JC and only got a B but I knew I had to have the honours for primary school teaching which I wanted to do back then, I did TY and the summer before 5th year I started Irish grinds, this really helped with my irish and learning oral topics every week really helped improved my Irish. yeah for the first month or two I was sitting in the class and didn't understand a word the teacher was saying, but if you put the hard work you should be fine. I have just got my mocks back and got a C1 which I am happish with.

Advertisement