Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Scourge

Options
  • 03-03-2013 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Are they any environmental rules that can stop people leaving wheelie bins outside 24/7. It's surely edging into the realms of littering at this stage, to me it looks horrible when you drive around areas of the city particularly residential areas off Ballybricken to see Wheelie bins just left outside the houses like a permanent monument, are people that lazy that they can't just bring them in and out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well im sure they cant be on public footpaths 7 days a week. Is it really that bad or is it different houses for different daily collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I bring mine in because if I didn't they would get stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

a lot of places up that way are limited to space and have no back gardens and so wuld have no other option but to leave the bins out 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

a lot of places up that way are limited to space and have no back gardens and so wuld have no other option but to leave the bins out 24/7

Oh c'mon. Most of them have garden or back yards - you can view it from google earth. People just don't want to wheel'em through the house cause "it stinks and it's full of bacteries."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

teckno123 wrote: »
    Are they any environmental rules that can stop people leaving wheelie bins outside 24/7. It's surely edging into the realms of littering at this stage, to me it looks horrible when you drive around areas of the city particularly residential areas off Ballybricken to see Wheelie bins just left outside the houses like a permanent monument, are people that lazy that they can't just bring them in and out?

Hardly the end of the world now is it? Why does it bother you so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I wouldn't be so keen to drag a couple of heavy bins through my narrow passage then kitchen, squeezing through a tight back door scuffing the walls all the way while rain and dogs piss runs onto my carpet. And I'm a pensioner with athritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I wouldn't be so keen to drag a couple of heavy bins through my narrow passage then kitchen, squeezing through a tight back door scuffing the walls all the way while rain and dogs piss runs onto my carpet. And I'm a pensioner with athritis.

Exactly and I live in a really old house that was not built with bringing wheelie bins through the narrow hallway in mind. My hallway is really narrow and the stairs blocks the bins from going to the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

As far as I know in Waterford City it against local bye laws to put your bin out before 7am on a collection day. Nobody enforces this though and the bin lorries collect around 6am in someplaces. So strictly speaking you would need to break the law to ensure collection which seems nonsence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We have a problem with this where we live, a lot if neighbors have their bins out front all the time and it just looks awful. Council came out and said because there's no side entrances to most of the houses that its ok for them to keep the bins out the front so nothing could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

kaef wrote: »
    Oh c'mon. Most of them have garden or back yards - you can view it from google earth. People just don't want to wheel'em through the house cause "it stinks and it's full of bacteries."

google earth lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

my bins are collected by the council in the county and you could set your watch by them...they collect it at the exact same time every week...no need to leave the bins lying around for hours on end...but it's a real pity that the collection service was made unviable in waterford city for 2 reasons.
    1---city councillors introduced a waiver scheme that was too broad and this allowed a substantial number of people have a free service, which was paid for by others (they did this to curry favour with large sections of the electorate)...The councillors in waterford city should never have allowed a situation like that develop...it ultimately led to the city council pulling out of the service altogether

2-- large numbers of the public opted to go with the private operators who provided CHEAPER OPTIONS...operators who arent very dependable AND SOME HAVE SINCE GONE BUST....people often talk about job creation and "supporting our own", yet the public opted for the cheaper (in every way) service over the dependable one (which no longer exists)...ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I should point out that a lot of the places within the inner city are owned by elderly people. So I for one don't mind it as I would prefer a bin outside than a elderly person inflicting an injury on themselves for the sake of somebodies preference.

Granted some people do leave them outside but they use it a parking bollard as their parking space is being used by non-resident.

Advertisement