Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you do the LC in 3 months?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm a mature lad thinking of doing the Leaving Cert again - 3 Science subjects and Maths. It's been roughly 7 years since I finished school and haven't done anything academic since until a year ago when I done a 1 year course - recap of Science thing. I did all 3 Sciences for the leaving cert.

To get into the Science course I want in uni, I can apply as a mature student. The requirements are:
    Maths - A minimum D3 grade in LC Higher level or a minimum B3 grade in LC Ordinary level.
    Laboratory Science Subject - A minimum D3 grade in LC Higher level or a minimum B3 grade in LC Ordinary level (or equivalent) is required.

It's a little over 3 months to the Leaving Cert, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this before and succeeded. Any and all advice is welcome. The plan is to study hard at 1 science subject and Maths, then pass the other 2. I have nothing but time on my hands and if enough people tell me they have done it or that it is very possible, then I will spend all day every day studying. Even if you didn't do Science but done the same sort of thing I'd love some feedback. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Absolutely, go for it. On a semesterised college course students are encountering material for the first time now that will be examined in May.

It's definitely do-able, especially if you study smart as well as hard i.e. do lots of exam question practice, writing skills and preparation. Also work on understanding the material, not just trying to memorise the content.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apply to the SEC first thing on Monday if you have not already done so. It's quite pricey if you don't have a medical card.

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

In the case of candidates who have taken the Leaving Certificate examination previously, the examination fee is €326.00. A reduced fee of €116.00 applies where entry is in respect of one subject only, and €211.00 where entry is in respect of two subjects only.

Second late fee of €52 per subject will apply to applications made from 1st March to 30th April 2013 inclusive.

For administrative reasons, applications to register for subjects with a practical, oral or project component, will not be accepted after Friday 1st February 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

Hi all,

I'm a mature lad thinking of doing the Leaving Cert again - 3 Science subjects and Maths. It's been roughly 7 years since I finished school and haven't done anything academic since until a year ago when I done a 1 year course - recap of Science thing. I did all 3 Sciences for the leaving cert.

To get into the Science course I want in uni, I can apply as a mature student. The requirements are:
    Maths - A minimum D3 grade in LC Higher level or a minimum B3 grade in LC Ordinary level.
    Laboratory Science Subject - A minimum D3 grade in LC Higher level or a minimum B3 grade in LC Ordinary level (or equivalent) is required.

It's a little over 3 months to the Leaving Cert, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this before and succeeded. Any and all advice is welcome. The plan is to study hard at 1 science subject and Maths, then pass the other 2. I have nothing but time on my hands and if enough people tell me they have done it or that it is very possible, then I will spend all day every day studying. Even if you didn't do Science but done the same sort of thing I'd love some feedback. Thanks a lot.

If you are very determined and disciplined you will make It..
    The rate at which you can learn at home as compared with at school is far far quicker.. The reality is that many students only begin to cram after the mocks and they sit 7 or 8 subjects.. You can reach a very high level by memorising the chapters day by day and refining your study with papers before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I am currently doing a fetac level 5 course. You could pass the modules in my course in a single day. If you had a whole day alone with the teacher.
    So it sounds very achievable to me. To take a few leaving cert subjects over a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

:eek:
    Now that's over just be aware that there have been changes to a couple of the subject curricula since you did the LC. Maths is the obvious one but I think Biology has had some changes too, although given your science background that probably wouldn't be an issue. :)
    It might be an idea to line up a few grinds to get you back into the swing of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 What_to_do_

Great to see all the positive responses. Grinds seem to be rediculously expensive. €30 per hour is something that I simply cannot afford. I've been reading up on some stuff. I think I should be fine but do you think I'd need to attend any "lab days"? I already have all the lab experience from last year so I don't think it's a problem. Also, it would be handy if I could find cheaper grinds, I'm not working at the moment so it's really hard to come by any spare money for stuff like grinds. I've looked in the grinds section here on boards but it's all a tad expensive. I'd be willing to travel to someone elses place for grinds if I could save on money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Dont know what part of the country you are in but Portarlington Community development association runs grinds classes for Junior and Leaving cert students As far as I know its €20 for a 90 min session. You can contact them through their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/portarlington.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

You want to cram an intensive two year course into three months? Personally I would be wary of trying that, even though I already did them all. A lot of the stuff like organic chemistry, calculations, proofs etc. are specialized techniques that you need to cram for and practice greatly on for the exam and forget aftewards, and that's if you had been gradually introduced to them for the past 21 months. These specific problems and things you have to know by rote. Let's just say I would find it uncomfortable, except for the maths which would be easy at this stage.

Advertisement