Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for memory garden

• 03-03-2013 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Just looking for some ideas please. My baby daughter was stillborn 5 weeks ago. I dug an area of the garden today that I want to be 'dedicated' to her memory. I have a seat nearby and I want to be able to sit here and think/relax/cry and enjoy beautiful flowers/ shrubs. Has anyone any ideas? I think I'd like to have predominantly pink/red colours. I bought an amelanchier tree today. I would like shrub ideas and ideas for perennials, ideally I would lkke it to be colourful all year round. Area I dug is 20 ftx 20ft. Any other ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi ,sorry for your loss.here is some thing you might build,a small pondless waterfall.the sound of flowing water is very peaceful,jack dscf3684_109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Deepest sympathies on the death of your child.

I would suggest some plant that would be in flower on her anniversary. Five weeks ago it would be snowdrops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So sorry for your loss.

Could you plant a suitable small tree in memory of her perhaps?

Then under plant the area with some nice red and pink hellebors (low growing evergreen plant with lovely flowers from January through to May).

You could also add in some alliums aswell hat will give nice red/purple/pink colour from June through to September.

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi ,sorry for your loss.here is some thing you might build,a small pondless waterfall.the sound of flowing water is very peaceful,jack dscf3684_109.jpg

I must say that I think that would be a very nice idea....peacefull and also relaxing too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hi countrywoman, so sorry about your little girl.
    I was doing a bit of gardening today and was just admiring my patch of heathers. They're a lovely hardy shrub, low maintenance and give a great burst of colour at this time of year when there's not much else in flower. You can get really nice pinks and purples. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can advise on the soil requirements.
    Good luck and let us know what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks everyone -

ponddigger- thats a beautiful idea but i just want to plant some nice flowers/shrubs for now. maybe when the energy levels improve, i might consider something like that
    annieoburns - thats a brillaint idea...and maybe some miniature daffodils and tuilips too

paddy - thanks. i actually dont like alliums or hellebors at all, i know you do. i bought an amelanchier, i think they are beautiful

emerb - i like heathers too. i might few a few of them

thanks everyone -

ponddigger- thats a beautiful idea but i just want to plant some nice flowers/shrubs for now. maybe when the energy levels improve, i might consider something like that
    annieoburns - thats a brillaint idea...and maybe some miniature daffodils and tuilips too

paddy - thanks. i actually dont like alliums or hellebors at all, i know you do. i bought an amelanchier, i think they are beautiful

emerb - i like heathers too. i might few a few of them

Best of luck with it.

Im sure it will be lovely and relaxing whatever you do with it or whatever you plant there.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hi Countrywoman - am deeply sorry for your loss.

Am not sure if i can add much but what about a camellia which would be in flower at this time of the year and provide a nice background for other things for the rest of the time? There are lots of shades of reds and pinks and candy stripes - but I really love the red doubles. A few climbers would add scent and colour - clematis or lonicera might be nice. For scent and berries a pair of skimmeas would be lovely but they do tend to spread out and fill space a little.

Thanks lottpaul. I bought two skimmias they are quite nice. Also planted a lonicera. Soil isn't suitable for camellias but thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi Countrywoman,

I am very sorry for your loss.
    I found myself in a similar situation to you not so long ago and just today I came across this article for personalized stepping stones that I think might be worth trying out. It's nice to be able to make them yourself - makes it that bit more personal.

http://prudentbaby.com/2012/02/entertaining-food/seasonal/get-creative-with-the-lorax-how-to-make-cement-garden-stones/

As far as shrubs go, someone mentioned heather and I can vouch for that plant. I have some heather planted which has been in bloom for a few weeks now, even given the harsh winter weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Countrywoman I am so sorry for your loss.

what about a beautiful red rose? You might be able to find a plant with your daughter's name in it, my sister-in-law lost her daughter at birth many years ago and planted a rose called Rachel in her garden and over the years has taken many slips off it and now has a lovely clump of roses in what she calls Rachel's garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sorry to hear of your loss.

We had the same situation in our house a 2 years ago and we planted a cherry blossom.
    Now our other kids are a bit older we have started talking with them about it and they are helping us by building up plants/shrubs around it.
    They helped plant Daffodil bulbs last Autumn and it gave us, as parents, a chance to talk with them about the loss in a kind of pleasant way.

well everyone i got the memory garden finished today. it looks great.

i've an amelanchier in place. i also planted skimmia and heathers. i planted the heathers in groups of 3, and they look well.
    i've also planted 3 rosebushes (pink)
    i planted anemone, echinops, dahlia, echinacea and lily too.

once htings start to grow, i will see the gaps, and plant more. will definitely plant daffodils, tuilips and snowdrops in the autumn.

wyldwood - thanks for your idea. i found a beautiful hellebore with my lttle girl's name, so i planted that in a pretty pot nearby

prospect - my other kids are all under 5, but i do look forward to when i can talk to them about my little girl.

they helped me 'dig' and plant the bulbs and plants, but they don't know the significance of the area yet

i sowed an acer freemanii for each of my other children when they were born. the acers are st the back of this new area. As i look out now, it looks as if they are protecting the little memory garden

cunningstunt & prospect, i'm sorry that you have both had such a sad loss.

thanks again for all of the well wishes and ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sounds lovely countrywoman, should be very peaceful to sit there and relax as the weather warms up in the coming months.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'There’s rosemary, that’s for remembrance. Pray you, love, remember. And there is pansies, that’s for thoughts'.

Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act 4 scene 5 - Ophelia

Advertisement