Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docking pups' tails

• 03-03-2013 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

A friend of mine just got a new pup at 8 weeks old and has decided that the pups tail looks awful and wants to get it docked... I have had numerous arguments with her over such a cruel act. She contacted local vet and he said he would perform the tail docking at 8 weeks old. As she is 8 weeks now she will be getting it done this week on this tiny little girl puppy. Am I gone mad or is this disgraceful and to the point tha the vet has agreed such a cruel act is a serious matter. The pup should of been docked in the first few days of life not 8 weeks later when the bone and nerves have formed sick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's supposed to be done in first week when pups are born
    8 weeks old is bit late to do it
    Dont know why it's illegal as most breeds are well known by their docked tails
    My family have always had German pointers or a gundog of some sort and they don't look right with long tails
    That's just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It's supposed to be done in first week when pups are born
    8 weeks old is bit late to do it
    Dont know why it's illegal as most breeds are well known by their docked tails
    My family have always had German pointers or a gundog of some sort and they don't look right with long tails
    That's just my 2 cents

Its not illegal.

I don't think that dogs with black coats look right, so i think they should all have to be dyed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What vet is doing this? As I'm sure the veterinary council of Ireland would be interested to know about this.
    Dogs that are docked are done between 1 & 3 days old. 8 weeks is far too old and they should only be done for medical reasons if the dog has been injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have a gundog breed who used to be docked but are not any more. They look much nicer with their tails and it does not affect their working ability or increase their chances if injury

I have also had litters docked and it was extremely unpleasant. Never again.

I'm assuming the 8 week old puppy will have a GA for the procedure. Really disgraceful thst this person is doing this to the dog for cosmetic reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I really wish docking would stop. They look so much better, and can communicate much more easily, when they have a full tail. For a pet animal docking in unnecessary and cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Surely the breeder your friend got the pup from would object to this? Mind you that's if he/she got it from a reputable breeder I suppose.

Honestly, hearing things like this makes me sick, I'm in a bad mood today already!

Anyone that thinks the puppies don't feel pain when its done at a couple of days old probably never had pups docked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Gardenview wrote: »
    The pup should of been docked in the first few days of life not 8 weeks later when the bone and nerves have formed sick.

A puppy's nervous system is formed before they are even born.

In my eyes, any breeder that docks is not reputable. I don't care how many trophies their dogs win- if they chop a puppy's tail off for some silly cosmetic reason, I don't want to know.

And as for the "oh they injure their tails out hunting" brigade- why aren't retrievers and setters docked, but pointers and spaniels are? And if it really is for safety, why are these breeds ALL bred to have long floppy ears that can caught in things just as easily? I call BS.

Magenta wrote: »

A puppy's nervous system is formed before they are even born.

In my eyes, any breeder that docks is not reputable. I don't care how many trophies their dogs win- if they chop a puppy's tail off for some silly cosmetic reason, I don't want to know.

And as for the "oh they injure their tails out hunting" brigade- why aren't retrievers and setters docked, but pointers and spaniels are? And if it really is for safety, why are these breeds ALL bred to have long floppy ears that can caught in things just as easily? I call BS.

I have also noticed that the HPR breed that I have is much more agile with his tail. Show breeders don't have to dock anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

The Veterinary Council of Ireland now considers cosmetic and prophylactic docking to be an act of mutilation and has instructed its members that such requests are to be refused. It also says that members in breech of that will face disciplinary action.
    Could be worth reporting the vet.

EDIT: I also found this post from last year that indicates that, regardless of the position of the VCI, it's actually against the law to dock a dog's tail for any reason other than when medically required once the dog is more than one month old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I am completely against it, my fella has his tail docked and I would give anything for him to have a long, saggy tail.

Just a note on the vets, it may be worth reporting them, however I have witnessed people basically telling vets that pups will have their tails regardless of who does it, sort of a you should do it right or else someone else might do it wrong. Still no vet should be agreeing to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I am completely against it, my fella has his tail docked and I would give anything for him to have a long, saggy tail.

Just a note on the vets, it may be worth reporting them, however I have witnessed people basically telling vets that pups will have their tails regardless of who does it, sort of a you should do it right or else someone else might do it wrong. Still no vet should be agreeing to it.

This does happen. I know a vet that has worked in the UK and here in the south and she says that people here will try and emotionally blackmail the vets into doing the procedure, saying if they don't do it that they'll find somebody who will but they would prefer the vet as they're 'professional'. ie they'll get some backyard puppy farm breeder to butcher the dog. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Most gundogs we dock there tails its fine as long as its done at an early stage:D:D its better for them to have there tailed docked. i usually get it on the 3rd day of birth and get the dew claws removed also.the docking of pet puppy dogs just for the sake of it or because it makes it look 'hard' is totally out of order, but the docking of a working dog is a necessity. When done properly it is an expensive job, but in my opinion is a cost well worth spent for the health and wellbeing of our working dog's.

It may be 'fine' but it's still cruel and pointless. I would see it as about equivalent to circumcising boys; done out of tradition, pointless, unnecessarily painful, and any supposed benefits are easily debunked.

no its not. when it comes to a select breed;)of gundog its a must. having worked and bred Working springers since the age of 15y/o i think i can account from my experience's. I have seen so many nasty accidents with working long tailed dogs who have got tangled up in brush, in reeds when searching under water and the general rubbish that people dump in fields and lakes etc. so for the safety of them dogs its better to dock there tail's.

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    no its not. when it comes to gundogs its a must. having worked and bred Working springers since the age of 15y/o i think i can account from my experience's. I have seen so many nasty accidents with working long tailed dogs who have got tangled up in brush, in reeds when searching under water and the general rubbish that people dump in fields and lakes etc. so for the safety of them dogs its better to dock there tail's.

Why not crop their ears as well then, sice those would be just as susceptible to injury? And why aren't GRs or Labs docked then they too do work as retrievers and therefore also in heavy cover? Why are Boxers and Dobes docked even though they are not used for any such work?

no its not. when it comes to gundogs its a must. having worked and bred Working springers since the age of 15y/o i think i can account from my experience's. I have seen so many nasty accidents with working long tailed dogs who have got tangled up in brush, in reeds when searching under water and the general rubbish that people dump in fields and lakes etc. so for the safety of them dogs its better to dock there tail's.

Working gundogs are just as likely to injure their legs, ears and head as their tail. Thats what happens when breeds work in thick cover.

And no there are plenty of working gundogs with full tails.

You missed my point i stated in my first post about family pet docking. my springers would be flushing going through scrub and i have seen many cases where there tail has caught them up so i choose to dock future pups.also i have seen many many labs and grs with docked tails too so each to there own i guess:p

Knine wrote: »
    Working gundogs are just as likely to injure their legs, ears and head as their tail. Thats what happens when breeds work in thick cover.

And no there are plenty of working gundogs with full tails.

Yes and there are plenty of working dogs with docked tails also:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes and there are plenty of working dogs with docked tails also:D
    And plenty of people who should not own a dog but do; that there's plenty of something don't prove anything.

• Advertisement

yea exactly you cant say its wrong soo:D

If the tail is getting caught up then I would suggest grooming!

I've seen lots of working HPRs that go through the thickest of cover with tails. No problems. I've seen Springers get their ears damaged though.

cant comment on other breeds as i my chosen one is the lovely springer:D eh no i will pass on the groom and just have the tails docked but thanks for the advice;)

cant comment on other breeds as i my chosen one is the lovely springer:D eh no i will pass on the groom and just have the tails docked but thanks for the advice;)

Well ok so. Enjoy your lovely springers. Great dogs!

There the best mate just are :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

also i have seen many many labs and grs with docked tails too

Photos/links please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

yea exactly you cant say its wrong soo:D

Anybody can have an opinion on what is right and what is wrong. The majority of pet owners would consider getting a dogs tail docked barbaric. To them it's morally and ethically wrong.

I can't comment on hunters as I don't know that many but I have setters and they've never caught their tails and they're always in and out of ditches and undergrowth. The worst that tends to happen is that they tend to get scratches from brambles, mainly on their belly.

Magenta wrote: »
    Photos/links please?

have a search on the net you will see many examples;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

So many people commenting in this thread haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
    Labradors don't have their tails docked as the end of their tail is not soft and does not cut easily.
    I own springers and cocker's and they are spoilt rotten and looked after better than most peoples kids.
    Docking their tail is not for fashion it is a necessity ,their tail end is soft and gets badly cut when charging through torn bushes and briar's.
    I have seen the damage first hand on an undocked dogs tail it is very hard to heal and i have seen it ending up in an amputation as the infection got so bad,it is very hard to keep it uninfected .
    A pup should be only docked before it is 3 days old and by someone that knows what they are doing ,it is like a baby having its cord cut.
    If it has not been done by then you have to just leave it , it will be an amputation by then.
    So do the people commenting on this saying its cruel not think that a dog cutting its tail week after week and loosing a lot of blood and having an infected tail is alright then.

• Advertisement

^^^^
    well said mate. agree with what you said i have my springers done on day 3.

Advertisement