Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia without work experience

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any point in going over after graduating from college with very little work experience? Have 6months experience in an office setting but that's about it.
    I'm not thinking of skilled jobs or anything, just something to pay the way along a WHV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is there any point in going over after graduating from college with very little work experience? Have 6months experience in an office setting but that's about it.
    I'm not thinking of skilled jobs or anything, just something to pay the way along a WHV.
    Of course there is a point, people do it all the time, now a lot more Irish people come over to get jobs and live rather than a working holiday. Lots of Europeans come over either before or after college, it's a great country to see and do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

If you want to work odd jobs and travel as you say then go for it.. It is probably one of the best things you will ever do. Take any temp job going and earn enough to keep yourself on the road. You will meet tons of people, see loads of great things and have some new experiences - good and bad.

If you were planning on moving over to set yourself up in a new life with the "$100,000" a year job that everyone talks about at home i would advise to get some experience first.

Also try and save as much as possible at home. Travelling Oz is expensive

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

hey ryan. Im a graduate town planner couldn't find work for the life of me in ireland after i graduated uni so i moved to OZ and i was a bit foolish listening to stories about the streets being paved with gold out here. Ive been here a year and applying for town planning jobs on and off since i got here but i get the same reply all the time "no experience" no job. I could not even get an internship as i had no local experience. However after a year living in melbourne i would whole heartedly recommend moving here. The wages are great i earn $25 an hour working in a bar so coming out with about 800 a week after tax my rent is 140 a week its much better than staying at home.
    On the planning side i built up a large group of friends and finally i got an in through a friends girlfriend. I start and internship with the city of melbourne tomorrow. If your in no rush i would get some experience at home for a year first be it part time or even on job bridge as i have had friends who were no where as good as me in uni who got a years work experience and a reference from their local councils planning departments that got 60k graduate jobs when they came out here straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thanks Guys!
    Not looking for a dream job or anything, just something to cover living expenses.
    Had a quick look on Gumtree and most jobs in bars or restauraunts wanted experience so got me a bit worried

Thanks Guys!
    Not looking for a dream job or anything, just something to cover living expenses.
    Had a quick look on Gumtree and most jobs in bars or restauraunts wanted experience so got me a bit worried

I know a person in Oz that offered to work in a bar for free for a week so that she could learn how to pull a pint. Lived off tips and got some bar experience. Her and her boyfriend also got jobs out of it if i can remember correctly. Surely you could be a bar back..doubt you need any experience for that.

• Advertisement

I know a person in Oz that offered to work in a bar for free for a week so that she could learn how to pull a pint. Lived off tips and got some bar experience. Her and her boyfriend also got jobs out of it if i can remember correctly. Surely you could be a bar back..doubt you need any experience for that.

Don't think I would be willing to do that but if your stuck I suppose its a possibility. I will actually have a business degree by then but only 6 months work experience. Don't care if I'm not earning 100k a year but if I had 800 a week like someone else had wipeouts be happy with that, in a good position of having some savings but don't want to be relying on that and would like to keep some for other things!

"Don't think I would be willing to do that but if your stuck I suppose its a possibility." - Fair enough. Personally i wouldnt be willing to work for free myself so cant blame ya. Regardless Im sure you will be able to find work as a bar back or on a construction site labouring to keep you going.

"I will actually have a business degree by then but only 6 months work experience"- To be honest I dont think the degree will count for much over here. As stated by other posters experience is the key. Office work/ Admin jobs seem to be fairly competitive over here. My girlfriend had a nightmare trying to get one and she has around 4 years experience working in an office. Not suprising - 9-5 job with decent rate of pay and fairly simple work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Don't think I would be willing to do that but if your stuck I suppose its a possibility. I will actually have a business degree by then but only 6 months work experience. Don't care if I'm not earning 100k a year but if I had 800 a week like someone else had wipeouts be happy with that, in a good position of having some savings but don't want to be relying on that and would like to keep some for other things!

No work experience but have savings? Please do tell...

jank wrote: »
    No work experience but have savings? Please do tell...

Nothing huge, but enough to qualify for the WHV. Just managed to save some money over a good few years..

Just managed to save some money over a good few years..

Code for - Top class Methamphetamine chef who was producing for a large Irish based mexican drug cartel. After the life became too dangerous he was placed in a witness protection program and what better cover than a young Irishman heading off to Sunny Oz on a working holiday visa...The perfect story.

Too much breaking bad for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

We''re living with an English couple at the moment. We got her a job in the hotel we were working in but her boyfriend is finding it impossible to find work. Like yourself he is just out of college with little work experience. He did some door to door stuff but he didn't last long. Think he did one night washing pots in the stokehouse in st kilda, but hasn't heard back from them

Moral of the story is that if you haven't got a strong work ethic, drive or contacts who can get your foot in the door it can be hard to find work even in oz

Think he did one night washing pots in the stokehouse in st kilda, but hasn't heard back from them

Well if the furthest his job hunt has got him is St.Kilda i can imagine he is finding it hard. break free leave strong irish areas. Im not a snob i just found it much easier to find work outside of large backpacker areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

danotroy wrote: »
    Well if the furthest his job hunt has got him is St.Kilda i can imagine he is finding it hard. break free leave strong irish areas. Im not a snob i just found it much easier to find work outside of large backpacker areas.

Great advice.

I never understand why Irish come to OZ to settle in a place full of Irish people. I left to experience a different culture and to get away from the usual.

If you are in a place like County Kilda/Melbourne or Perth, you will find it hard to get any decent work because for every job you apply for, so are tens of other Irish people and lots of employers filter us out straight away no matter what our CV says. It depends what you want to do. You could pick up a job in a call centre or something pretty easy but the cash is crap. If you have a trade, you are set.

I settled in Brisbane and found a decent job after about 6 weeks of looking. Had 4 interviews in that time. The Irish are still pretty much a novelty in QLD, we aren't overflowing the place....yet.

I noticed there are so many people leaving Ireland for Australia with dollar signs in their eyes. It might have been easy to make a buck 5-10 years ago but not anymore. Unless you are a tradie, It's not easy finding work that pays enough to pay rent, bills and to have a bit of a life. The cost of living is very high in OZ and not all jobs equate to that.

People are packing the rucksack without much research these days. "Nothing back home for me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I wouldn't advise anyone to make the trip if they're only feeling half hearted about it and more compelled because everyone else seems to be doing it.

Like others have said cost of living here is high, wages can compensate but without work it's tough. Basically if you're up for an adventure you won't mind doing farmwork and other onerous labour to pay for the holiday part of the trip. Don't forget the "holiday" in working holiday visa!

Great advice.

I never understand why Irish come to OZ to settle in a place full of Irish people. I left to experience a different culture and to get away from the usual.

If you are in a place like County Kilda/Melbourne or Perth, you will find it hard to get any decent work because for every job you apply for, so ambitione tens of other Irish people and lots of employers filter us out straight away no matter what our CV says.

I settled in Brisbane and found a decent job after about 6 weeks of looking. Had 4 interviews in that time. The Irish are still pretty much a novelty in QLD, we aren't overflowing the place....yet.

I noticed there are so many people leaving Ireland for Australia with dollar signs in their eyes. It might have been easy to make a buck 5-10 years ago but not anymore. Unless you are a tradie, It's not easy finding work that pays enough to pay rent, bills and to have a bit of a life.

What a load of nonsense! Employers filter us out because we're Irish?? When I arrived in Melbourne I had 7 interviews lined up after one day of looking for work. Even now me and my girlfriend have been both recently offered sponsorship and managerial roles over another pair in work who have permanent visas. In melbourne Experience, work ethic and a bit of ambition will get you anywhere regardless of nationality.

Also, i find it strange when how Irish people have this inferiority complex sometimes. "All the Aussies are sick of us" is a line that is being thrown out a lot these days. Well as someone who works in a restaurant that has hundreds of people coming through every day I believe this isn't the case. I don't think we're afforded any special status in the eyes of the average Aussie and if anything we are seen as Hard working and good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

What a load of nonsense! Employers filter us out because we're Irish?? When I arrived in Melbourne I had 7 interviews lined up after one day of looking for work. Even now me and my girlfriend have been both recently offered sponsorship and managerial roles over another pair in work who have permanent visas. In melbourne Experience, work ethic and a bit of ambition will get you anywhere regardless of nationality.

Also, i find it strange when how Irish people have this inferiority complex sometimes. "All the Aussies are sick of us" is a line that is being thrown out a lot these days. Well as someone who works in a restaurant that has hundreds of people coming through every day I believe this isn't the case. I don't think we're afforded any special status in the eyes of the average Aussie and if anything we are seen as Hard working and good fun.
    Not because we are Irish (that came across wrong) but because we are on WHV's and are seen as short term who are more than likely going to be begging for sponsorship after a few months. My ex-girlfriend worked for a recruitment company in Sydney and she was told not to consider people for certain jobs if they don't hold a permanent residency. Even trawling through seek.com.au and you can see the amount of job adverts which have "Only permanent residents or Australian citizens applications will be considered". It all depends what job you are going for I suppose, maybe the hospitality industry is a bit more open?

Well done for getting sponsored in a restaurant by the way, it's not easy in the hospitality trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Not because we are Irish (that came across wrong) but because we are on WHV's and are seen as short term who are more than likely going to be begging for sponsorship after a few months. My ex-girlfriend worked for a recruitment company in Sydney and she was told not to consider people for certain jobs if they don't hold a permanent residency. Even trawling through seek.com.au and you can see the amount of job adverts which have "Only permanent residents or Australian citizens applications will be considered". It all depends what job you are going for I suppose, maybe the hospitality industry is a bit more open?

Well done for getting sponsored in a restaurant by the way, it's not easy in the hospitality trade.

Good point.

Every industry is vastly different. Construction industry for example won't necessarily throw resumes in the bin because they are Irish, or WHV etc. But they certainly will be hesitant to give anything more than a short term or casual position to fill a gap. Having said that, a qualified trade has a reasonable chance of getting well paid work that may lead to something more permanent.

Leisure industry by comparison will throw open the doors to WHV employees, as they are a largely seasonal industry, and usually have a high turnover in staff with low overheads for training, inductions etc. the catch is that the money is sh!te until you get up to management positions at which stage it is mediocre. But again, you won't get a shot at that on a WHV, the money isn't good enough for sponsorship even if there was a skills shortage. Catcha 22.

I've only worked briefly in hospitality over here, it seems to be rather similar to leisure in a lot of senses, mediocre pay, not many opportunities to get up, but very real chances of some consistent work at the right time of year.

Thats been my experience anyway. I spent two year working in leisure with a bit of farming, sales and hospitality mixed in to fill gaps in 6 month rules etc.
    I ploughed my way through a self completed 820 visa in the end, now I'm back in construction.

My advice to anyone coming here with no experience is to bring as much cash as you can, and a credit card (for emergencies only). Get the hell away from Bondi, St. Kilda and Perth as quick as you can. Be prepared to any kind of work. Try and get some farm work lined up as soon as you arrive (if you like it here). Don't leave your manners at home. and remember YOLO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

This is pretty much spot on and what I'd tell anyone coming over here, but especially anyone looking for 'professional' type jobs; without experience you can pretty much forget unless you get very, very lucky or there's a strong IT focus to your degree. Solely having a marketing/business/arts degree isn't going to cut it, in Sydney anyway, if it's a grad job you're after. I'd good experience from Ireland and it took me nearly 2 months of searching 12 hours a day to get something casual and that was pure luck after hearing "Well we really like your experience but your visa....." about ten times a day.

If you have six months office experience I think you should be fine to be honest. If it's a call centre, you'll have a job within a week if you look hard enough but to be honest I reckon that's the same in Ireland too!!

Do you work in the Olsen mark?
    Working in hospitality over the past year in the CBD at the same venue while guesting at a few other venues it is funny to see the general sentiment of staff towards the Irish. "your mate" in reference to some guy wearing a shirt checked shirt, tucked into baggy jeans that fall over desert boots who is invariably irish has made me realize how much we stick out in some surroundings. In the place i work they have stopped letting Irish people in after 1am as most of the time it leads to everyone else leaving the place when its time to go but the "boys" feel like singing their hearts out and ignoring security. Hospitality is pretty tight gig in a small city such as melbourne, countless times i've had to listen to stories about irish customers/trail shifts who have this macho i'm irish attitude about them its fairly embarrassing. However any of those who work with an Irish person are genuinely impressed with the work ethic we posses, in saying that i do think it is true that when a guy walks into a bar with his longford jersey on saying sure i managed my uncles bar back home for years it does hinders ones chances.
    however some of the sweetest people i have met here are irish professionals, djs and graffers!
    Sponsorship has been offered to me in a TAB, a hostel and a bar i do not wish to stay here on a sponsorship which from what my laywer has indicated is very hard to secure from
    off topic ramble over.. if i was to offer anyone coming over any advice coming to melbourne, book into a hostel on the northside of the city far away from St.Kilda, stay away from your "friends" from home for the first week, send your cv out everywhere and dont wear a gaa jersey or sweat pants your not in Longford anymore. get experience in your field before you come here as the majority of the jobs on seek etc are permanent resident only positions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Do you work in the Olsen mark?
    Working in hospitality over the past year in the CBD at the same venue while guesting at a few other venues it is funny to see the general sentiment of staff towards the Irish. "your mate" in reference to some guy wearing a shirt checked shirt, tucked into baggy jeans that fall over desert boots who is invariably irish has made me realize how much we stick out in some surroundings. In the place i work they have stopped letting Irish people in after 1am as most of the time it leads to everyone else leaving the place when its time to go but the "boys" feel like singing their hearts out and ignoring security. Hospitality is pretty tight gig in a small city such as melbourne, countless times i've had to listen to stories about irish customers/trail shifts who have this macho i'm irish attitude about them its fairly embarrassing. However any of those who work with an Irish person are genuinely impressed with the work ethic we posses, in saying that i do think it is true that when a guy walks into a bar with his longford jersey on saying sure i managed my uncles bar back home for years it does hinders ones chances.
    however some of the sweetest people i have met here are irish professionals, djs and graffers!
    Sponsorship has been offered to me in a TAB, a hostel and a bar i do not wish to stay here on a sponsorship which from what my laywer has indicated is very hard to secure from
    off topic ramble over.. if i was to offer anyone coming over any advice coming to melbourne, book into a hostel on the northside of the city far away from St.Kilda, stay away from your "friends" from home for the first week, send your cv out everywhere and dont wear a gaa jersey or sweat pants your not in Longford anymore. get experience in your field before you come here as the majority of the jobs on seek etc are permanent resident only positions!

The whole insecure sneering at culchies in GAA jerseys has been done to death on here mate. Nice that you brought a specific county into your broad brush caricature painting though...

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    The whole insecure sneering at culchies in GAA jerseys has been done to death on here mate. Nice that you brought a specific county into your broad brush caricature painting though...

im not sneering at Culchies. I dont think any one would disagree with me saying going on a job hunt in any form of jersey is a fruitless endeavor.

for what its worth this place always seems to be hiring. http://careerpaths.salmat.com.au/

Do you work in the Olsen mark?!

Nah left there last year. I'm down in a restaurant/bar in south bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

jackbhoy wrote: »

I don't get why it is just GAA jerseys that are singled out. Jut as many United/Celtic/Liverpool jerseys kicking about. Ireland/Leinster/Munster (less of the latter than you used to see) jerseys are pretty common too.

I just don't think any self respecting grown up should be wearing a sports jesey as everyday attire. Save it for playing the sport or specifically going to support the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

image_zpse3bf0291.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Am i allowed to wear my boards.ie cycling jersey and my ireland cycling shorts ?

You'll be fine OP. I've known two people that came over here with nothing and managed to eek out a living. At one stage one of the lads, i **** you not as he signed into his bank account on my phone had 52cent!! You'll probably earn between 20-25dollars an hour in the service sector which will enable you to save /travel provided you get the standard australian working week which is 38hours.

If you want to stay for the second year i recommend doing the regional work first as you get the chance to meet plenty of other travellers and may end up roaming around Oz with them. Also if you time it right you can work for the same company for 1 year. You're allowed to work for one company on your first year visa 417 for 6months and also allowed to work for the same company on your second year visa 462 for 6months. By pure chance this worked out in my favour and i was permitted to work for the same company for 1 year (im going to be sponsored so in my case it doesnt matter anymore) but its something to take note of.

Id also like to echo what others have said previously. Australia can be crazy expensive if you aint working and money can fade away from your bank account quite fast. I reckon $5k will probably last you anywhere from 1.5 - 2months (we're all different and this is just a guesstimation) you could stretch it out another month if youre a prudent spender, im not...

Theres a lot to see and do here, i wish you all the best on your journey.

I don't get why it is just GAA jerseys that are singled out. Jut as many United/Celtic/Liverpool you used to see) jerseys are pretty common too.

I just don't think any self respecting grown up should be wearing a sports jesey as everyday attire. Save it for playing the sport or specifically going to support the team.

Havta agreed here. I dunno why people look down on people wearing county colours. If they wanna tell the whole world their from mayo that's their choice!

Either way the jerseys aren't really necessary, as we stick out without them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 caster86

Hey op, i just want to throw in my two cents worth, just to give a little perspective
    I have been travelling around Australia for the last 10 months, now there are two ways of doing the Australia thing, you could get busses everywhere, stay in hostels, eat dinner in restraunts ....... or you could do what i did, .. im not sayin it's the right way to do it, but it worked...
    i landed in Oz with my minimum 5000 dollars,
    i then went and bought a Holden commodore station wagon for 2000 dollars, (with rego and rwc)
    i then paid 200 dollars for a tent, camping matress, camping stove with a few basic utensils, now straight away my accommodation and transport has been paid for,
    Now there are some major advantages to be had from this, free accomadation, and plus having your own transport, and the ability to travel out to a farm at the drop of a hat (instead of waiting for a bus) will increase your chance of finding fruit picking work ten fold, it really does,
    Now the average i spent on petrol per week was 80 to 90 dollars, food was 40 dollars a week, (cooking your own meals),
    so with average expenditure of 150 dollars a week, your remaining 2800, should (in theory) last 4 months. And thats not including the fact that you will probably find work and start earning in the meantime.......

TOP TIPS >>>> If you smoke.. QUIT(its too expensive) ... DONT DRINK till you find a job that pays regularly << these two things do not have any place in a tight budget....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

caster86 wrote: »
    food was 40 dollars a week, (cooking your own meals),

40 dollars a week? That seems nearly impossible to live on.

Less than $6 a day will not go very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

40 dollars a week? That seems nearly impossible to live on.

Less than $6 a day will not go very far.

You couldn't be eating much meat and fresh fruit/veg on that money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

This thread is hysterical ...

I got here in my twenties, twenty years ago, hitched hiked all over the place and settled up the coast. Back then the Aussies LOVED the Irish … within a few years I owned a couple of properties.
    Recently, I had to go to Sydney on business and I thought I was in O’ Connell Street, Dublin!!
    Please folks, develop a weeeee bit of style - or at the very least loose the fecking jerseys!!!

And for the love of god… Stop talking so LOUDLY on your mobile phones!!

Advertisement