Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

file association on Windows 8

Options
  • 03-03-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

First off I hope this is the right forum for this question. If not, feel free to move Mods.

I am trying to open an .rar file. I have Windows 8. I have downloaded and installed 7-zip. However when I go to 'open with' I cannot call up 7-zip (it does not appear on the dropdown list wither). I have already tried to solve this by doing the following:

Going to :
    Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

However, when I try to change to program for .rar files and go to:
    'Look for another app on this pc'
    and try to select the 7-zip file it does not allow me to do so....

No doubt it's something very simple but driving me mad at this stage.

All suggestions welcome. Basically all I want to associate 7-zip with my .rar files. Didn't have this problem with XP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Downoad Winrar and see if it behaves in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Run 7-Zip as administrator, go to Tools > Options and select RAR (and any other format you want to associate with 7-Zip).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Downoad Winrar and see if it behaves in the same way.

That's done the trick Kristopherus - WinRAR is behaving very well.

Tks for prompt reply :)

maupat wrote: »
    WinRAR is behaving very well.

Not for long... ;)

WinRAR is not free software. After a 40 day trial period you must either buy a license or remove it from your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Torqay wrote: »

Not for long... ;)

WinRAR is not free software. After a 40 day trial period you must either buy a license or remove it from your computer.

I also noted that when downloading WinRAR Torqay.

Do you have any suggestion for a viable alternative when the 40 days are up?

• Advertisement

Mind you, the program will remain fully functional after the evaluation period has expired (fair play to authors who do not cripple their software) yet it is illegal to use it without registration.

If you only need to unpack RAR files, there are alternatives, i.e. the aforementioned 7-Zip (FOSS), IZarc (free) or RarZilla (free), all of which can be associated with RAR files.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    Mind you, the program will remain fully functional after the evaluation period has expired (fair play to authors who do not cripple their software) yet it is illegal to use it without registration.

If you only need to unpack RAR files, there are alternatives, i.e. the aforementioned 7-Zip (FOSS), IZarc (free) or RarZilla (free), all of which can be associated with RAR files.

Does the WinRAR compression functionality not die after the trial period? But you can still use it to decompress rar files with a shareware nag popping up each time it's opened.
    7Zip gets my recommendation also

Nick

Nope, remains fully functional, just a nag screen as a reminder to pay up. ;)

Here is more about adding 7-Zip to the Default Programs. If you're not comfy with editing the registry, at the end of the thread is a link to an installer that will do it automatically.

Advertisement