Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse cycleways triathlon in May for my first?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi all, planning my first triathlon in next few months.

My current level of fitness for individual events is:

750m swim: not there yet but quickly moving up a 1mile swimming program which I will finish in approx 4 weeks (which will have me up to one mile distance, in a pool obviously, currently at 400m) (PS for those interested, if you google 1 mile swim, its the first link that comes up, a good program!)

20km cycle: not getting much training time but my 20km time is about 50min.

5km run: about 28min time.

Do you think I would be fit enough for this event? I havent done any brick work but there are more than 2 months to the even so I was hoping yes. Also, it does say it is a beginner friendly event. Anyone else have any experience with this race or anyone from Pulse here advise me?

My fear obviously is the sea swim for a first triathlon. I will be getting a wetsuit soon (have a voucher for Wheelworx, just waiting for their new stock to come in as they have a very limited selection at present!). If I can comfortably swim 1 mile in a pool would I be ok for a 750m sea swim?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

its a good race and nothing too daunting. I'd guess that your fitness will be fine.

the main thing is to get some sea swim practice before the race. Its a different world in open water compared to the comforts of a pool

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

miller82 wrote: »
    its a good race and nothing too daunting. I'd guess that your fitness will be fine.

the main thing is to get some sea swim practice before the race. Its a different world in open water compared to the comforts of a pool

Thanks a mill, how to get open water practice in without being in a club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

JohnBee wrote: »

They haven't started charging entry to the sea just yet:) You can't sink in a wetsuit (but you can drift in one), so find a shallow beach with people about (never swim alone, preferably go with a mate), and go for it. Swim parallel to the shore, in waist deep water, and see how you get on. There's a big difference in swimming in a cold sea than a heated pool. Miller82 is dead right, you'll need to practice this aspect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you're nervous about going it alone, I'm sure there'll be someone either on here that will be happy to meet you and help you out or a club who will be doing some OW swimming who would allow you in to one of their OW sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Don't know where you are based, but SeaPoint is a very safe place to get started with sea swim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

is it not a bit early to be heading to OW for a swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    They haven't started charging entry to the sea just yet:) You can't sink in a wetsuit (but you can drift in one), so find a shallow beach with people about (never swim alone, preferably go with a mate), and go for it. Swim parallel to the shore, in waist deep water, and see how you get on. There's a big difference in swimming in a cold sea than a heated pool. Miller82 is dead right, you'll need to practice this aspect.

You might want to wait till May for the sea swims. Its very very cold even with a wetsuit until late May/June. Started getting back into the sea swimming on the first weekend of last May and by god it was cold. Icecream-head for about the first 300m before my body adjusted to it. A neoprene hat might make this a little easier.

I havent raced the pulse race myself, but last year I spectated by brother and gf racing and it seems very beginner friendly.

Tri-Athy is a week later and also very beginner friendly. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Hi thanks for all the tips guys.

From reading this thread and the other one on OW swims it seems like I will definitely need to get some open water swim practice in advance.

I will be comfortably swimming a mile continuous in a pool in about 1 month so 750m swim should be ok I am thinking.

As to getting practice, are there any groups that will start up open water swim sessions towards end of April which from reading on here seems like the practical start time for OW swimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi thanks for all the tips guys.

From reading this thread and the other one on OW swims it seems like I will definitely need to get some open water swim practice in advance.

I will be comfortably swimming a mile continuous in a pool in about 1 month so 750m swim should be ok I am thinking.

As to getting practice, are there any groups that will start up open water swim sessions towards end of April which from reading on here seems like the practical start time for OW swimming?

I don't know where you're based, but I'll be getting into Wicklow Harbour at weekends from April, you're more than welcome to come along. Keep an eye on this OW meet-up thread for others at different venues.

And invest in two good swimming caps, wear one over the other to help stop brain freeze:)

I see the swim hats are recommended, I might stump up for a fancy neoprene one, is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 niamhsligo

Hi All!
    In a similar position in that I hope to do my 1st tri this Summer-possibly Mullaghamore in June. Am looking for advice on a basic trisuit. A singlet and shorts would be better as I use an insulin pump which I'll have to reattach after the swim. Any recommendations?
    :confused:

Advertisement