Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chemical waste dumped by British off Donegal and Kerry coast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dáil Éireann - Volume 451 - 23 March, 1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Donegal coast in the mid-1950s. Three ships containing 76,000 tonnes of aircraft bombs packed with deadly gas were secretly scuttled by the British Navy in waters between Donegal and Rockall and 3,500 tonnes of 23 lb. artillery shells containing mustard nerve gas, including Sarin gas, were dumped in sealed containers over the side of British vessels about 40 miles of Malin Head.

Minister Coveney says 'it's the previous administrations fault don't you know, rabble rabble'.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

squod wrote: »

Minister Coveney says 'it's the previous administrations fault don't you know, rabble rabble'.

Wasn't aware that individual had anything to say about it. Would hope to hear the British making arrangements for the safe removal of this material.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

EURATS wrote: »

Wasn't aware that individual had anything to say about it. Would hope to hear the British making arrangements for the safe removal of this material.

Don't the islands of the West coast have a higher cluster rate of cancer compared to the National average.

This story was recently on Highland radio Donegal and was mentioning the barrels were beginning to leak through retardation.

Also at one stage the UK government in the 1990s considered proposals for a tunnel from Stranraer to Larne but this was quickly dismissed not only on financial viability grounds but also because of the large amounts of armaments dropped in the straits after the Second World War.

The whole thing remains disgraceful but nothing will be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It took 18 years for this to come to your attention. Bit late to the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

yes,collectively blame all of us residing in britain for the actions of a government,when they dont give a sht about us let alone neighbouring countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

800......leagues under the sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Probably impossible unless they drain the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There's two schools of thought on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's two schools of thought on this.

And one of them is made up mostly of fish with 3 eyes

• Advertisement

It took 18 years for this to come to your attention. Bit late to the party.

I don't see any other thread on it. Do u?

Scruffles wrote: »
    yes,collectively blame all of us residing in britain for the actions of a government,when they dont give a sht about us let alone neighbouring countries.

Sure I guess the Irish should pay for it. We are good at that!!

And one of them is made up mostly of fish with 3 eyes

That's probably why some people talk about the "conundrum" of "Donegal Catch."
    Tell me, what does the name 'Donegal Catch' suggest to you? The clues are in the words 'Donegal' and 'Catch.'
    It sounds to me like someone 'caught' a fish in 'Donegal,' then froze it, and sold it in the supermarket. Simple enough?
    The packet even says that the name 'Donegal Catch' is your guarantee that you're buying only the finest fish 'from the deep and cold waters of the Atlantic.
    But what are we to make of the fine print on the Donegal Catch foil packet? The small bit of text that admits that the packet contains farmed fish from many countries of origin, including Chile
    If I may be a bit dense for a moment, how does one reasonably expect to 'catch' a 'Donegal' (Atlantic) fish, while it resides in a 'farm' in Chile (Pacific)?

http://www.darwin.ie/?p=140

Just slaggin'. Everything is the previous administrations fault. That's the way FG roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Another place I'd be concerned about is the Beauford Dyke. Its situated between Antrim and Scotland and is where the Brits decided would be a great place to dispose of their WW1 chemical weapons. A few of them washed up on Antrim beaches during the 90's and in truth has probably caused more contamination in the Irish Sea than Sellafield,

seanmacc wrote: »
    Another place I'd be concerned about is the Beauford Dyke. Its situated between Antrim and Scotland and is where the Brits decided would be a great place to dispose of their WW1 chemical weapons. A few of them washed up on Antrim beaches during the 90's and in truth has probably caused more contamination in the Irish Sea than Sellafield,

Dumped by the queens navy? On the doorsteps of all those unionists? Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There's enough sh1te(literally) going into the sea right now folks, and it isn't the Brits that's doing it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

squod wrote: »
    Dumped by the queens navy? On the doorsteps of all those unionists? Jaysus.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4032629.stm

The Brits are like those neighbours from hell who throw their bin bags over the fence in the middle of the night.

Where To wrote: »
    There's enough sh1te(literally) going into the sea right now folks, and it isn't the Brits that's doing it either.

Sh1te is one thing. What they dumped off our coast is another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'll just leave this here. Far more dangerous than decades old mustard gas.

Confab wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here. Far more dangerous than decades old mustard gas.

To be fair..that link belongs in another thread(not to say it isn't a massive issue).

Mustard gas...and the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Sherman tank on seabed off Malin Head

amazing whats down there.. here is a good shot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Jesus, how polluted are our waters exactly? Fairly frightening stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sherman tank on seabed off Malin Head

amazing whats down there.. here is a good shot

We should salvage those, use them to invade the North. Then go for Scotland and Wales and Cornwall.

Tis our land.

some years ago, a local sub aqua club were talking about a sunken submarine in Donegal Bay that had a lot of mercury on board, and that the seams were beginning to corrode on the hull.

If and when the hull would disintegrate, the mercury would be released into the water. The environmental impact would be huge, not to mention the long term health dangers to the people of the area.

Must try to find out more about it for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

some years ago, a local sub aqua club were talking about a sunken submarine in Donegal Bay that had a lot of mercury on board, and that the seams were beginning to corrode on the hull.

If and when the hull would disintegrate, the mercury would be released into the water. The environmental impact would be huge, not to mention the long term health dangers to the people of the area.

Must try to find out more about it for this thread.

That wasn't the diving club in Muff as it?

That wasn't the diving club in Muff as it?

you mean these guys :)

http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Back in the 1980s a retired science teacher told me that during the last war he had made devices for the irish government. They packed them into any container they could find, mostly glass bottles. These were never used and were also disposed of at sea, but where?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2 stroke wrote: »
    Back in the 1980s a retired science teacher told me that during the last war he had made devices for the irish government. They packed them into any container they could find, mostly glass bottles. These were never used and were also disposed of at sea, but where?
    probably Molotov Cocktails

http://www.npi.gov.au/substances/carbon-disulfide/environmental.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ejmaztec wrote: »

Then they should be forced to pay compensation in the form of funding for additional cancer treatment centres in any areas near where they've dumped radioactive material.
    Seems reasonable to me. They make a mess, they can pay for the consequences of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think it would be impossible to locate and retrieve the containers. People salvage stuff every day, plus major cleaning operations have taken place in places like the gulf of Mexico. Any things possible, it might be expensive but I would say it's doable.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think it would be impossible to locate and retrieve the containers. People salvage stuff every day, plus major cleaning operations have taken place in places like the gulf of Mexico. Any things possible, it might be expensive but I would say it's doable.

True...if the Kursk can be raised..they can obviously retrieve their barrels of sh1te..and dump them off their own coast. Really shows how little the British establishment thought of the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Then what? The fcukers can't deal with the toxic waste they have already on land, what would their great plan be for stuff they've retrieved from the seabed? Dump it somwhere else? Probably off the coast of Somalia, seeing as that's where every other cnut is dumping their toxic crap at the moment. This from the Country that brought you "Health and Safety". Joke, utter joke. Maybe if they dumped a load of licences and high vis vests down on top of it, all would be well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Dwork wrote: »
    Dump it somwhere else? Probably off the coast of Somalia, seeing as that's where every other cnut is dumping their toxic crap at the momentl.
    And paying fantastic competitive rates to do so.

• Advertisement

And paying fantastic competitive rates to do so.
    to the Mafia, who are the shipowners and "waste disposal" contractors amongst other things these days. The area around Naples is full, so they needed to move on to fresh "grounds". Strangely, big business has few objections. Saves a fortune, apparently.

You do know they used a fancy version of an emulsifier to "clump" the crude oil causing it to sink? As in onto the sea bed? As in cleaned up, me hole. Hidden, yes. Cleaned, not quite. Not quite.

Some of that stuff is deep, and I would imagine that after all this time, were it possible to get hold of it, whatever casing they used would be a bit unpredictable when handled. They might even bring on an ecological disaster trying to get it back to the surface.

Some of that stuff is deep, and I would imagine that after all this time, were it possible to get hold of it, whatever casing they used would be a bit unpredictable when handled. They might even bring on an ecological disaster trying to get it back to the surface.

If its in such an unstable condition..an ecological disaster isn't far off anyway. Just a matter of time.

The material involved and its condition needs to be assessed and a solution put in place to retrieve it and dispose of it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Apparently the Americans dumped a load of pig brucellosis that was being used as chemical weapons in the Gulf war on their way home off the Cork/Kerry coast a few years ago and have been assisting in the treatment of the effects unofficially of course. Allegedly but I suppose we'll never hear the full truth about that either.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Americans dumped a load of pig brucellosis that was being used as chemical weapons in the Gulf war on their way home off the Cork/Kerry coast a few years ago and have been assisting in the treatment of the effects unofficially of course. Allegedly but I suppose we'll never hear the full truth about that either.
    So there is some truth in the rumour that Cowen and Harney were skinny dipping off Dingle and came back utterly altered. I always wondered what happened to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Oh no, it wouldn't be on any maps. We're not exactly New York! No, the best way to find it is to head out from Galway and go slightly north until you see the English boats with the nuclear symbol. They go very close to the island when dumping the old 'glow-in-the-dark'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Then they should be forced to pay compensation in the form of funding for additional cancer treatment centres in any areas near where they've dumped radioactive material.
    Seems reasonable to me. They make a mess, they can pay for the consequences of it.

My mother in law has lost three relatives and four neighbours to cancer in the past six years. she is convinced it is because they swam regularly in Killiney bay and the radiation from Sellafield killed them off early.

Of course, the fact they all smoked 40 major a day had nothing to do with it, no sirree, it was definitely Sellafield.

Advertisement