Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meaning of an electoral promise/pledge?

• 03-03-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard Alex White on Newstalk saying Labour had managed to deliver on some of its electoral promises but failed on others like not increasing child benefit, and this seems to be the party line on the subject. To me, that makes the so-called promises sound more like targets or aspirations. My understanding of an electoral promise in the context of a coalition government is that if the other party insists on imposing the measure in question, we will vote against it and if it comes to that provoke a general election. Is that how other people (esp. Labour voters) see it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Election promises, are at best just a list of aspirations for when someone gets into power and things are going well for the country. Anyone thinking that the collection of election promises will survive contact with the reality of governing is sorely deluded.

They're basically telling you "In an ideal world we'd do it this way" whereas the reality might be the current situation of a massive deficit and two parties in coalition whose election promises don't match exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

nesf wrote: »
    They're basically telling you "In an ideal world we'd do it this way" .

I would question how many of those who voted Labour partly on the basis of hearing Gilmore saying "The Labour Party will not agree to having child benefit cut anymore" would have such a nuanced take on the subject. I guess we'll find out at next election how much ice Labour's definition of an electoral promise cuts with the electorate...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd be curious to see a list of political parties who have fulfilled every single election promise once elected. Clearly it's a long and distinguished list, as the electorate continue to be outraged every time a government fails to follow through on every single election pledge. Such outrage can only logically be explained by the failures being rare and surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I would question how many of those who voted Labour partly on the basis of hearing Gilmore saying "The Labour Party will not agree to having child benefit cut anymore" would have such a nuanced take on the subject. I guess we'll find out at next election how much ice Labour's definition of an electoral promise cuts with the electorate...

They won't have a nuanced view, the electorate rarely does. It's a pretty good argument for not having referendums actually.

Advertisement