Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Con Martin

• 03-03-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

The great League of Ireland and Irish great Con Martin died last week.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2013/0224/1224330475545.html

He will be remembered for many things but for one thing in particular he was a member of the first foreign team to beat England at home. He also scored in that game.

He also broke the ban!

Some sources still claim Hungary are the first team to do it which is untrue and some say that Ireland are but that we were part of the UK and that Hungary were the first foreign team. Both silly silly claims.

Anyway RIP Con a great man with a great interest in sport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

What ban are you referring to?

Con Martin also played a few times for Northern Ireland. That seemed to happen a lot back in those days, I often wonder why? Maybe it was simply because so few international games were actually played in those days and footballers just wanted to play games. Footballers from the Republic would have been eligible to play for the North as well at that time, would be the case now after the GFA as well I think. Although obviously now they wouldn't be able to play for both in the same senior career.

Anyway thanks for posting this, great footage and RIP Con Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Presume its the Gaa ban on playing "foreign" games that was around pre the 1970s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

kksaints wrote: »
    Presume its the Gaa ban on playing "foreign" games that was around pre the 1970s

Exactly it says on the Irish Times article his medal for winner the Leinster championship was withheld for 30 years.

At one stage you had spies going around to junior and LOI games to make sure that no GAA people were playing or even spectating.

But thats for another day. Its only a minor element in a great career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Enjoyed that.

I remember his name popping up few times. Heard he was fine player.

kksaints wrote: »

That was the ban yes. I recall Liam Brady talking about it in an interview, so it was still in operation during his time as a kid.

Con Martin won 30 caps for Ireland and 6 for Northern Ireland, it would be the equivalent of more than 100 caps today because they didn't play as many international matches back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Great piece on Newstalk the other night,might be available as a podcast.He turned down Manchester United as he didn't want to play in goal.At the time,he was massive compared to the majority of players as he was 6' 4".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Lennonist wrote: »
    What ban are you referring to?

Con Martin also played a few times for Northern Ireland. That seemed to happen a lot back in those days, I often wonder why?

Both the FAI and IFA could pick players from the 32 counties at the time. I could be wrong but I believe there was no Northern Ireland or Free State team as such. There was two "Ireland" teams and the rival associations could pick any Irish players for their sides.

Both the FAI and IFA could pick players from the 32 counties at the time. I could be wrong but I believe there was no Northern Ireland or Free State team as such. There was two "Ireland" teams and the rival associations could pick any Irish players for their sides.

Con was the last player from the Republic to play for the North under that ruling,seems like Irish players were warned not to play for the North by Republicans and Con along with another player were called up & no other Irish player from the Republic represented the 6 counties after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Wtf, not cool man!

Me thinking Con Murphy died!

zerks wrote: »
    Con was the last player from the Republic to play for the North under that ruling,seems like Irish players were warned not to play for the North by Republicans and Con along with another player were called up & no other Irish player from the Republic represented the 6 counties after that.

I'd imagine it was the FAI and IFA that probably wanted players to make a decision one way or the other as opposed to "Republicans" or other political movements as you put it. This is the late 40's and 50's we are talking about after all. The existence of the two organisations is probably the biggest impediment to formation a single Irish international soccer team, representing the whole island. That discussion is for a different thread I suppose.

• Advertisement

Lennonist wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was the FAI and IFA that probably wanted players to make a decision one way or the other as opposed to "Republicans" or other political movements as you put it. This is the late 40's and 50's we are talking about after all. The existence of the two organisations is probably the biggest impediment to formation a single Irish international soccer team, representing the whole island. That discussion is for a different thread I suppose.

It was discussed the other night on Off The Ball & the threat to players who played for the North was brought up and eventually the 2 associations became separate entities.

He played in goal for Ireland vs Spain as Ireland had only one 'keeper & he got injured.His favourite position however was centre half.

Advertisement