Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is brew ruined?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Started a Coopers Canadian blonde there last Wednesday but forgot to cover it with a towel (I know hi-tec). Now it wouldn't be in total direct sun light but it got a little bit, would this have a major impact on the brew.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Devi wrote: »
    Started a Coopers Canadian blonde there last Wednesday but forgot to cover it with a towel (I know hi-tec). Now it wouldn't be in total direct sun light but it got a little bit, would this have a major impact on the brew.

Is it fermenting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Armelodie wrote: »

Is it fermenting?
    Ah yea, fermenting like mad but just wondering would the bit of sunlight give off flavours?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt it'll affect it much. If you can drink it at the end it's not ruined; if you can't, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Is your fermenter sealed or otherwise reasonably covered? I know people who have their fermentation exposed to the elements, but it is not exactly a beginner trick ..

sharingan wrote: »

Is your fermenter sealed or otherwise reasonably covered? I know people who have their fermentation exposed to the elements, but it is not exactly a beginner trick ..
    Ah yea sealed up, I just forgot about the darkness bit, first batch I've done in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

if it tastes skunky its been exposed to too much UV. Not much of that in the last week:)
    It sounds like you got to it early enough

joctcl wrote: »
    if it tastes skunky its been exposed to too much UV. Not much of that in the last week:)
    It sounds like you got to it early enough
    Yea I think so, had a taste last night and it'd grand, more drinkable than I'd thought it would be after a week.

Yea I think so, had a taste last night and it'd grand, more drinkable than I'd thought it would be after a week.

Time is the brewers friend, I have never tasted good beer 3-4 weeks old. I have tasted great beer 6 months old:)

joctcl wrote: »
    Time is the brewers friend, I have never tasted good beer 3-4 weeks old. I have tasted great beer 6 months old:)

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt drink it now, its just better than Id thought it would be.

Thats great stuff and a great sign, I have read about even shocking beers at early stages turn into velvet after 6 months so you can never tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement