Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeons!

• 03-03-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

The last week or so there have been two, maybe more pigeons in the back garden hovering over and landing around the pond.

We have a few goldfish in there, one of whom has beeen there 5 years plus... presume theyre after the fish?

Anything to stop them bar putting a net over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

You could try installing a replica of a heron or other tall bird to deter them. People with expensive Koi carb often use them. see link http://www.nomore-pests.co.uk/decoy-replica-heron~396

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I could be wrong but I would be very surprised if pidgeons were dieting on goldfish. I think birds like Herons are the only thing you need to worry about there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be very surprised if pigeons were trying to eat fish. They're probably stopping at your pond for water and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

The pigeons are definitely not interested in your fish.

As already stated, it's more likely that the water is what they're after. Is there a shallow part that they can land beside to drink or to bath in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'd be more worried about cabbage plants than goldfish where pigeons are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Would I get banned if I said ALL pigeons are b******s? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just sitting having tea and one came back again. The dog had him gone before I got a chance to see what they were going to do.

Fish are still there anyway.

The level of the water is slightly high so maybe they're using it for a bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

They're probably after the fish food or something around the pond.

They're probably after the fish food or something around the pond.

We haven't fed then in years. Thought they were all dead and went to clean it out and a few appeared. Apparenlty they're living off the algae.

Saw one again this morning but the dog had him shooed before he landed

Saw a few of then land, drink water and fly off again.

Problem solved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

pigeons eating fish-what next? people eating horse.

Advertisement