Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Hose......Great product or just a fancy useless gimmick??

• 03-03-2013 3:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an ad for this expanding garden hose on TV3 at 5am this morning.

https://www.xhose.com/index.php?page=Home

Decided to google it.

This hose supposedly expands by 3 times its length.

Sounds great...but there is a BUT.....

1-Cant have hot water running through it
    2-Cant be left outdoors in sunshine (wtf like???)
    3-Cant be left outdoors in cold frosty weather either.
    4-Cant be used through rose bushes or dragged accross concrete (fraying and failure)

So my question to you all here is as follows......

Is this a great gardening/watering hose?

Or is just another gimmick that might fail after a few weeks??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

paddy147 wrote: »

1-Cant have hot water running through it
    2-Cant be left outdoors in sunshine (wtf like???)
    3-Cant be left outdoors in cold frosty weather either.
    4-Cant be used through rose bushes or dragged accross concrete (fraying and failure)

Thanks for that Paddy.

Never saw this before and looks very impressive - they all do in the ads in fairness.
    Number 1 wouldn't be an issue for me
    Numbers 2 and 3 sound like real deal breakers - whatever about very cold frosty weather surely it should be able to withstand sunshine. I wonder if this refers to the extremes of temperatures they experience in parts of the US and continental Europe rather than the moderate sun and cold we normally have here?
    Number 4 - well, if rose bushes and concrete are a problem it would never last in most peoples gardens :rolleyes:
    Sounds like it might suit someone with a small urban garden, who uses a lot of pots, containers etc and who could be counted on to bring it in out of the elements every day. Hopefully they will sort out the limitations and it could be the beginning of a new type of more compact - less kinky :) -- hose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Available in 25,50 and 75 feet lengths.

Seems to be alot of mixed reviews on Amazon and via google for this hose.

A fair few of them tore and burst after a short time....which doesnt sound too good to me.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Thanks for that Paddy.

Never saw this before and looks very impressive - they all do in the ads in fairness.
    Number 1 wouldn't be an issue for me
    Numbers 2 and 3 sound like real deal breakers - whatever about very cold frosty weather surely it should be able to withstand sunshine. I wonder if this refers to the extremes of temperatures they experience in parts of the US and continental Europe rather than the moderate sun and cold we normally have here?
    Number 4 - well, if rose bushes and concrete are a problem it would never last in most peoples gardens :rolleyes:
    Sounds like it might suit someone with a small urban garden, who uses a lot of pots, containers etc and who could be counted on to bring it in out of the elements every day. Hopefully they will sort out the limitations and it could be the beginning of a new type of more compact - less kinky :) -- hose.

70 euro plus 5 euro postage for the 75 foot hose (22 meters long).

http://www.highstreettv.ie/xhosetm-expandable-hose.html

Not exactly a bargain.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw it this morning on one of those shopping channels...looks impressive and great idea was tempted to buy it, but the reviews on amazon are mixed

anyone out there have one???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My Mum bought one of these recently, so we will have to wait a while to determine whether or not it is robust.

I used it a week or two ago, my first annoyance was that it takes a good few minutes (or at least it feels like that) for it to fill with water and expand to its length, and similarly when you are finished with it you have to drain it out after turning off the tap.

My second annoyance was that it uses non-standard fittings, so no interchanging with your current attachments.

Having said that, it did work nicely. It is very light and compact, and the hose itself feels pretty good quality. It does expand out quite significantly.

Overall I would say 'gimmick', although I can see some of the bigger brands like Hozelock doing their own versions of it in the near future.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    My second annoyance was that it uses non-standard fittings, so no interchanging with your current attachments..

oh oh, don't don't like the sound of that.. so i persume you have to buy attachments that only suit this hose?? more expense
    Overall I would say 'gimmick', although I can see some of the bigger brands like Hozelock doing their own versions of it in the near future.

think i'll wait till then

Chap down the road from me who is into his gardening bought that X-Hoze 2 weeks ago.

This hoze cant be left outdoors in sunshine or in cold...(has to be stored indoors)

After only 2 days use,the connector (where it joins to the hose material) failed and leaked.And the supposedly very hard wearing outer layer frayed and split from being pulled along the concrete path.
    He has sent it back (still waiting for a refund acording to him) and has gone back to using his normal hoze cart and hoze.

Googled it this morning,and it seem to be some problems with failing/leaking connections and the outer layer tearing off of concrete.

I bought this 50 meter Hozelock cart and hoze kit for 50 euro a few months back....still going strong....so that will do me fine.:)

to be fair, its a great idea and maybe if the likes of Hozelock were to get the patent they could improve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

That yellow Hozelock you have Paddy is great. Have the 30mtr hose myself the last 5 years and it gets constant abuse on concrete and a gravel path. Worth the extra few €'s.

That X-Hose doesn't seem to be the best of quality for the €'s involved according to reviews.

That yellow Hozelock you have Paddy is great. Have the 30mtr hose myself the last 5 years and it gets constant abuse on concrete and a gravel path. Worth the extra few €'s.

That X-Hose doesn't seem to be the best of quality for the €'s involved according to reviews.

Comes in very handy for when we are watering the fruit and veg on the allotment.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Spoke with my Mam at the weekend, she had to send the first hose back as it 'tore' and was leaking.

The replacement looks like it is going the same way so I think she is going to get a refund.

I have one of these on the wall at the tap, has been in use (with the same length of hose) since 2005 and going strong.

Cataloger.Image.php?i=30m-hose-reel-2420-wall-mounted-reel_f_1_330_1.png&ac=40349
    Link

Spoke with my Mam at the weekend, she had to send the first hose back as it 'tore' and was leaking.

The replacement looks like it is going the same way so I think she is going to get a refund.

I have one of these on the wall at the tap, has been in use (with the same length of hose) since 2005 and going strong.

Cataloger.Image.php?i=30m-hose-reel-2420-wall-mounted-reel_f_1_330_1.png&ac=40349
    Link

Think its only a 30 day refund period,so just make sure you send it back within that time frame.

Proof in the pudding right there (for anyone considering buying one) that it really is just a gimmick.

Thanks for posting that too.:)

i've come to the conclusion ..most stuff sold "exclusively" on TV are gimmicks

maybe thats why there sold only on TV cause the shops won't have them cause there cr@p

fyi.....woodies are selling a similar product called the stretch hose

Advertisement