Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foods you have been turned off.

• 03-03-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

My favourite food was eggs up until last night.

I was boiling some eggs to make a salad sandwich and when i was taking the shell off one of the eggs i noticed a pink patch on it. I went to cut it off and noticed something in the yolk.... I nearly threw up.
    It was a fetus of a chick.

I don't think I will be eating eggs for a long time now after witnessing that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sh*t man what a waste. You put that fetus in a pot, add some bacon, some water. Baby, you got a stew goin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Karona wrote: »

I was boiling some eggs to make a salad sandwich and when i was taking the shell off one of the eggs i noticed a pink patch on it. I went to cut it off and noticed something in the yolk.... I nearly threw up.

Ewwww... Cheers for that! :(

I don't like lamb any more. Use to love lamb chops then got lamb served me that tasted awful and now can't eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Cheese... bit out of date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

White bread bloats up my stomach like a dead goat so I avoid that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Beef I mean horse I mean....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it took be the best part of 32 years to realise chinese food is disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

My mum grew up on a farm in the 50's and 60's and this was a regular occurance. Honestly would be traumatised if that happened me!!

Always been a bit weary of the whole pork & sugar = worms. Don't know if its true I regularly slow cook pork with honey or brown sugar and if I ever spot one I know I'll never be able for pork again.

Can't stand blueberries or anything that tastes of blueberries as I vomed one night after eating a blueberry muffin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

it took be the best part of 32 years to realise chinese food is disgusting

Chinese food done properly can be delicious, but unfortunately some of the sh1t that passes for chinese food in takeaways here bears little resemblance to real chinese food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Chinese food done properly can be delicious, but unfortunately some of the sh1t that passes for chinese food in takeaways here bears little resemblance to real chinese food.

Needs more dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Stuffing after getting food poisoning from it and having to taste it on the way back up for the next 48 hours. Feel queasy even thinking about stuffing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Any type of frozen food. Last summer, I cooked some frozen chicken things and some frozen onion rings. But the freezer had been left ajar ever so slightly, and the stuff had semi-defrosted. I didn't notice before I cooked it. I did notice that the food was slightly... mushy or something when I was eating it, but I thought it was my imagination and didn't think anything of it.

Cue 4 days of puking and just feeling so, so sick. I was feverish and sweating at points, frozen and shivering at others. Lying in bed, in pools of cold sweat, I felt like just dying. Death would have been a welcome release. I couldn't sleep, as every 30-40 minutes, I'd be up puking. How there was anything left in me, I do not know, as I couldn't eat anything for days. I was drinking sips of water so I wouldn't dehydrate, that was all.

To this day, I cannot bring myself to eat frozen food at all. I just do not trust it anymore at all. Just the thoughts of the taste of those frozen onion rings makes me shiver (even though it was the chicken that obviously got me). It will be a long, long time before I ever venture near the frozen section in the supermarket again.

Fish, I can't even be around it. I don't know what turned me off it, but I vomit if I'm near it. It's manky stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Black bean sauce. The lads know what Im talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

When i was a kid, I ate an entire tub of marshmallows one Christmas. I have never felt so violently ill in all my life. i couldn't touch them for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭E.S.T.

Salmon, hate the taste of the farmed stuff compared to the wild caught and that is all that is around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Needs more dog.

MORE DOG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Curry sauce I remember getting a takeaway I thought the curry sauce looked a bit odd but thought maybe it's nothing and I ended up with food poisoning . I'm always wary whenever curry sauce is there that I usually won't bother with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fish, I can't even be around it. I don't know what turned me off it, but I vomit if I'm near it. It's manky stuff altogether.
    all in your head

**Vai** wrote: »
    Black bean sauce. The lads know what Im talking about.

Chicken in bean bag sauce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

kimchee.

I used to be a big fan of it, and ate it all the time. Then, the night before a flight back home to Ireland for a 2-week stay, I was cleaning out my fridge and decided to eat the kimchee instead of throwing it away. Wrapped it up in a tortilla with some other stuff in an absolutely horrendous 'fusion's dish.

Next morning, I was sick about 5 times on the way to the airport. We actually had to change trains so that I could get one with a toilet. Sick a few more times in the airport. My girlfriend and I found out after that we had had the same unspoken thought - is this guy going to be able to get on this plane at all?

Got to my seat, got sick a couple more times. I remember the cabin staff coming round with drinks, taking one look at me, and just moving on. Finally fell asleep for about an hour, and woke up healthy and ravenous.

No problem with tortillas, but never been able to even smell kimchee since that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The chick doesn't grow in the yolk. The yolk is actually the food supply for the chick which they absorb just before hatching.
    Chickens, Ducks etc. need to learn how to feed themselves and need a bit of time to recover from the stress of breaking out of the egg so it helps to take a packed lunch.
    I had a duckling die because the yolk never absorbed. I have a picture of it I can upload if anyone is interested, but it won't help your egg aversion much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I dont eat chicken. I feed my dogs raw chicken, and in cutting them up halfways, the amount of chicken turd that lurks inside of chickens is just disgusting, along with the cysts that are all over them. Most chickens I buy my dogs (aldi, tescos lidle etc) are NOT fit for human consuption.. gross..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

gg2 wrote: »
    My mum grew up on a farm in the 50's and 60's and this was a regular occurance. Honestly would be traumatised if that happened me!!

Always been a bit weary of the whole pork & sugar = worms. Don't know if its true I regularly slow cook pork with honey or brown sugar and if I ever spot one I know I'll never be able for pork again.

Can't stand blueberries or anything that tastes of blueberries as I vomed one night after eating a blueberry muffin....

That pork and sugar thing isn't relevant to any pork you would get from the butchers or supermarket. If its wild pig then it's a possibility same as any other game animal really.
    Fish meat can often have worms in the flesh which is why I refused sashimi for years. Eventually tried it though and loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Chicken in bean bag sauce?

Adding the meat just makes it so much dirtier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Sausages after chewing on a bit of gristle in one when I was a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Milk I hate it, I get goosebumps seeing it slosh around in the carton or see people drinking it from glasses. It started when I was 17, spending my Sundays hungover to the high heavens stacking carton upon cartons of milk into the fridges in londis I worked in. It reeked of stale milk and wheeling the crate out seeing it all slosh around, put me off milk good and proper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Tuna, used to eat it as a child now the smell makes me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

xLexie wrote: »
    Milk I hate it, I get goosebumps seeing it slosh around in the carton or see people drinking it from glasses. It started when I was 17, spending my Sundays hungover to the high heavens stacking carton upon cartons of milk into the fridges in londis I worked in. It reeked of stale milk and wheeling the crate out seeing it all slosh around, put me off milk good and proper

Ah Jaysus, milk is great stuff altogether!

I can't stand tomatoes, I'll have ketchup but the thought of me biting into a tomato makes me feel sick!

Also beetroot, red cabbage or any food stuff that colour is a no-no, don't ask me why

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

The drive ins have become the drive by's lately every time I look at a burger now all I see is poor old Shergar looking back at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am not saying are lying but finding this difficult to understand.
    cant see how that was possible-the fetus can only develop if it has been under a broody hen-or in an incubator with correct humidity for a few days.
    it doesnt even look like a fetus for at least a week,the earlier signs of development will see using a candler are veins spidering out,with each day or so these spider out more,a red dot thing will appear- that eventualy becomes the fetus start to form slowly,and when theyre half way through development or so will see them swimming around.:cool:

is there any chance of taking a photo of this egg?
    woud be interested to see what this looks like exactly and itd also be a good idea to show the photo to the farm had got them from to make sure they get tougher on their egg removing practices every day.
    am still not getting this as a broody hen who is incubating eggs will not get off them for anyone; they go mental in fact if try to go near their eggs, the only time they woud ever leave their eggs is when they sense something is seriously wrong with the chicks;that they havent properly developed.
    NB.am a hobby handrearer of pet chickens from hatching egg/incubating stage.

the japanese eat live twelve day old fetuses as a meal by the way,they showed a one being eaten on the uk food channel and mum was furious-she emailed a complaint in- regardless of culture animal abuse shoud not be an accepted let alone celebrated form of media here,it woud not be accepted by the RSPCA if done by some random on the street/general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Beans and peas, I was force fed them as a kid. I can't stand the sight or smell of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I used to love strawberry Roses, till one of me mates said
    he didnt like them because they taste like they're filled
    with calpol...

Cannot be un-tasted :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Whatever the Queen of England has been eating for the last few days - I want none of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Sweetcorn. I watched a documentary involving it a few years ago and haven't been able to look at the stuff since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Scruffles wrote: »
    am not saying are lying but finding this difficult to understand.
    cant see how that was possible-the fetus can only develop if it has been under a broody hen-or in an incubator with correct humidity for a few days.
    it doesnt even look like a fetus for at least a week,the earlier signs of development will see using a candler are veins spidering out,with each day or so these spider out more,a red dot thing will appear- that eventualy becomes the fetus start to form slowly,and when theyre half way through development or so will see them swimming around.:cool:

woud be interested to see what this looks like exactly and itd also be a good idea to show the photo to the farm had got them from to make sure they get tougher on their egg removing practices every day.
    am still not getting this as a broody hen who is incubating eggs will not get off them for anyone; they go mental in fact if try to go near their eggs, the only time they woud ever leave their eggs is when they sense something is seriously wrong with the chicks;that they havent properly developed.

the japanese eat live twelve day old fetuses as a meal by the way,they showed a one being eaten on the uk food channel and mum was furious-she emailed a complaint in- regardless of culture animal abuse shoud not be an accepted let alone celebrated form of media here,it woud not be accepted by the RSPCA if done by some random on the street/general public.

My guess is it was an egg from a household roost, a lot of rural houses will have their own coop. The screening process is fairly thorough from store bought eggs. I've seen this firsthand myself the fetus' themselves aree fairly embryonic looking just a lil gross embryo near the yolk. I asked apparently the hens attempt to go broody but if the other hens around them arent doing the same they abandon the egg. So sometimes lil embryos form. I was more grossed out that most of the eggs they use were fertalized at all nevermind embryos being present!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

SuperMacs burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tomboylady wrote: »
    Sweetcorn. I watched a documentary involving it a few years ago and haven't been able to look at the stuff since.
    What'swrong with sweetcorn now?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Definitely boiled eggs as well. I eat them cut up in rolls from shops but can't stomach it in their special little containers. Rubbery texture is weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

anything satay .... puuuke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I eat anything.

ANYTHING. *Does the "sleh sleh sleh sleh" thing with my tongue like your man from Silence of the Lambs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Black pudding
    Lamb/pork chops
    boddice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    Black pudding
    Lamb/pork chops
    boddice

Boddice as in bodice? Well that's an interesting insight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

anything from McDonalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

Hot
    dogs. Saw a programme that showed the parts of the animal that went in...
    eww! Have never touched kidney or liver and will bloody never either- or
    intestine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Scruffles wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing it myself. I don't doubt it could happen. If I'm letting a hen hatch I mark the eggs she's set. The other hens will often lay in the same nestbox and she'll steal them so I have to go in and take out the unmarked eggs. Most of mine are fairly easy going and don't get upset about it.
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    I was more grossed out that most of the eggs they use were fertalized at all nevermind embryos being present!

It wouldn't be a problem if the eggs were taken quickly and stored somewhere colder than, say, under a hen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

... or
    intestine!!

You mean sausage skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Boddice as in bodice? Well that's an interesting insight...

Yea that, my bad,was watching tv while typing.
    You got the idea anyway :cool:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

You mean sausage skin?
    What?! :-O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I go off sausages all the time. I heard horror stories about the factories, and most sausages only have a 45%- 75% pork content depending on the brand. And the gristle makes me gag. Then every couple of months, I crave a fry-up, I have sausages, then that afternoon I swear off them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Had the same experience years ago, except I cracked the egg into a frying pan only to see a chick foetus among the goo. Couldn't touch eggs for years, now I crack them into a cup first to check, just in case. Imagine if ya hadn't seen it and chomped away thinking 'this egg is a bit chewy'
    f#ck..
    I nearly ate a white caterpillar once, it was in a bit of cooked cauliflower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement