Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foods you have been turned off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My sister found a caterpillar in a bird's eye salad thing before.

I wasn't suprised with the horse meat. First caterpillars and now this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I never have anchovies as a pizza topping for the sole reason that it's smell reminds me of fanny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Chinese food done properly can be delicious, but unfortunately some of the sh1t that passes for chinese food in takeaways here bears little resemblance to real chinese food.

That's total bollocks, I was in Bejing before and everyone was eating curry chips in long tray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

ElleEm wrote: »
    I go off sausages all the time. I heard horror stories about the factories, and most sausages only have a 45%- 75% pork content depending on the brand. And the gristle makes me gag. Then every couple of months, I crave a fry-up, I have sausages, then that afternoon I swear off them again.
    Some have 8% pork in them. Makes ya wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

DazMarz wrote: »
    Any type of frozen food. Last summer, I cooked some frozen chicken things and some frozen onion rings. But the freezer had been left ajar ever so slightly, and the stuff had semi-defrosted. I didn't notice before I cooked it. I did notice that the food was slightly... mushy or something when I was eating it, but I thought it was my imagination and didn't think anything of it.

Cue 4 days of puking and just feeling so, so sick. I was feverish and sweating at points, frozen and shivering at others. Lying in bed, in pools of cold sweat, I felt like just dying. Death would have been a welcome release. I couldn't sleep, as every 30-40 minutes, I'd be up puking. How there was anything left in me, I do not know, as I couldn't eat anything for days. I was drinking sips of water so I wouldn't dehydrate, that was all.

To this day, I cannot bring myself to eat frozen food at all. I just do not trust it anymore at all. Just the thoughts of the taste of those frozen onion rings makes me shiver (even though it was the chicken that obviously got me). It will be a long, long time before I ever venture near the frozen section in the supermarket again.

A bit like this, was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaSuSnUJm3E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Lavender. I had lavender chocolate once and the taste stayed in my mouth all day. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

You mean sausage skin?

Wonderfulname, I had no idea until now that sausage was encased in intestine. I was talking about sweetmeat or whatever it's called. Thank God I stick to the chicken mostly cos i know sweet f all about meat!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Chinese food done properly can be delicious, but unfortunately some of the sh1t that passes for chinese food in takeaways here bears little resemblance to real chinese food.

Went to a posh highly recommended Chinese restaurant in Amsterdam before, worst meal we have ever had, ever. And they charged 6.50 for water. But the chinese, great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Karona wrote: »
    My favourite food was eggs up until last night.

I was boiling some eggs to make a salad sandwich and when i was taking the shell off one of the eggs i noticed a pink patch on it. I went to cut it off and noticed something in the yolk.... I nearly threw up.
    It was a fetus of a chick.

I don't think I will be eating eggs for a long time now after witnessing that.

They're all the rage in Manila
    Warning: There are yukky pictures in wiki link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Went to a posh highly recommended Chinese restaurant in Amsterdam before, worst meal we have ever had, ever. And they charged 6.50 for water. But the chinese, great bunch of lads.
    Amsterdam can be stupidly expensive to eat out in.
    What did you have in the Chinese and why was it crap?
    And yes, great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cedrus wrote: »
    They're all the rage in Manila
    Warning: There are yukky pictures in wiki link
    ah Jayzus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Amsterdam can be stupidly expensive to eat out in.
    What did you have in the Chinese and why was it crap?
    And yes, great bunch of lads.

Nowhere else was expensive like this place, everywhere else we ate was great.
    This was it: http://www.seapalace.nl/ PLace floats on water.

My dish was supposed to be something got to do with chinese brocolli I recall, and my gfs was based on asparagus. We literally got a plate of each with rice (one little rice between us), lol. Not saying that chinese is all bad per se, that was just a terrible terrible meal, my god. But I think the best Chinese is only normal restaurants and that it doesn't actually get any better than that, from anywhere I've had it. I'll gladly be proven wrong! I love some chinese dishes.

I used to like these turkey roasts that had a layer of port fat around to keep them juicy in the oven while cooking, one night (early morning) after a few (lot of) jars, I made the sandwiches from Leftovers of one that I'd cooked earlier that day, unfortunately I only used the fat!

Never ate one since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Nowhere else was expensive like this place, everywhere else we ate was great.
    This was it: http://www.seapalace.nl/ PLace floats on water.

My dish was supposed to be something got to do with chinese brocolli I recall, and my gfs was based on asparagus. We literally got a plate of each with rice (one little rice between us), lol. Not saying that chinese is all bad per se, that was just a terrible terrible meal, my god. But I think the best Chinese is only normal restaurants and that it doesn't actually get any better than that, from anywhere I've had it. I'll gladly be proven wrong! I love some chinese dishes.

When you said Chinese in Amsterdam that place was the first I thought of. Last time I was there I wanted to try it, but my friends said no so instead I seen a science exhibition in the convention centre place and squashed some coins in a weird automatic coin squashy machine. Now I'm glad.

On topic, another vote for lamb. Got some chops years ago that tasted gak and can't touch it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

MSG sauce in Chinese takeaways.

I must have, in my lifetime, have eaten about 18 tons of the stuff.
    Can't even think of it now, if I get ribs in sweet and sour sauce and it comes out like jelly MSG sauce, then I can't eat it. Puke !

• Advertisement

... I love some chinese dishes.
    I'm loving Thai food at the moment, not take away, been cooking it. Saw a lot of new stuff being promoted at our Supervalu, it's stuff like Thai curry pastes and coconut milk and jasmine rice and all that, from an Irish company based in Wexford called the Thai Food Company, all organic. I think it's a Thai woman who married an Irish bloke and they set it up together. The food is lovely and easy to do, and I like that you can use whatever veggies ya got in, it's pretty versatile, and if you don't eat meat you can still do a really tasty curry or stirfry. Did a 'Thai Massaman' curry, today, was kinda sweet and creamy from the coconut milk, really nice and simple to do. It tells ya on the packaging what to do with it and there are recipes on their website, but basically ya fry some garlic and chili, add a teaspoon or two of the curry paste, then coconut milk and your meat (or not), veggies, sometimes diced potato too. Oh and some chicken stock or veggie stock. Whatever ya do, it tastes and smells great.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

few years ago my friends and I decided to eat a giant mixing bowl of butter cream..can't even smell the stuff now without gagging! Always have to scrape it off buns :(

Not really a fan of cream either, might be because I used to eat plates of it when I was a child..

OH also sausage rolls after I made them one time..disgusting

TheUsual wrote: »
    MSG sauce in Chinese takeaways.

I must have, in my lifetime, have eaten about 18 tons of the stuff.
    Can't even think of it now, if I get ribs in sweet and sour sauce and it comes out like jelly MSG sauce, then I can't eat it. Puke !
    Most of them turn to jelly if you take the lid off and leave for five minutes. Yeah monosodium glutamate. Crap. Problem is they all buy the same stuff wholesale, and just heat it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pancakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Tea
    I was sick in August and had my morning cup of tea and couldn't drink it. I've had 1 cup since.

I have since changed to coffee and love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Johro wrote: »
    Most of them turn to jelly if you take the lid off and leave for five minutes. Yeah monosodium glutamate. Crap. Problem is they all buy the same stuff wholesale, and just heat it up.

Is that why Curry sauce in the chicken currys you get in chinese take aways is so thick-almost gelatanous?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Bugger king i have not eaten there in over a decade severe food poisoning sick through mouth and ass for days stomach felt like a washing machine nothing not even water would stay down only good thing about it was i lost about two stone in two weeks lol.

Archeron wrote: »
    When you said Chinese in Amsterdam that place was the first I thought of. Last time I was there I wanted to try it, but my friends said no so instead I seen a science exhibition in the convention centre place and squashed some coins in a weird automatic coin squashy machine. Now I'm glad.

On topic, another vote for lamb. Got some chops years ago that tasted gak and can't touch it now.
    You got a lucky break, would have loved to do what you did instead. Even people tehre getting duck for 60+ euro said it was slimy and horrible.

I'm loving Thai food at the moment, not take away, been cooking it. Saw a lot of new stuff being promoted at our Supervalu, it's stuff like Thai curry pastes and coconut milk and jasmine rice and all that, from an Irish company based in Wexford called the Thai Food Company, all organic. I think it's a Thai woman who married an Irish bloke and they set it up together. The food is lovely and easy to do, and I like that you can use whatever veggies ya got in, it's pretty versatile, and if you don't eat meat you can still do a really tasty curry or stirfry. Did a 'Thai Massaman' curry, today, was kinda sweet and creamy from the coconut milk, really nice and simple to do. It tells ya on the packaging what to do with it and there are recipes on their website, but basically ya fry some garlic and chili, add a teaspoon or two of the curry paste, then coconut milk and your meat (or not), veggies, sometimes diced potato too. Oh and some chicken stock or veggie stock. Whatever ya do, it tastes and smells great.
    I love thai so you don't need to sell it to me, we make massaman curry all the time, had it last night in fact. You can even get these little sachets of pure coconut that you add water to, does the same job as the milk and may not be as sweet. You might like it more. Watch out for the percentage of coconut in teh milk, can be quite low. The massaman curry paste lasts you forever, and it's soooo good.

Thin noodles ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some have 8% pork in them. Makes ya wonder.

8%!! Seriously? :eek: Name and shame.

I love thai so you don't need to sell it to me, we make massaman curry all the time, had it last night in fact. You can even get these little sachets of pure coconut that you add water to, does the same job as the milk and may not be as sweet. You might like it more. The massaman curry paste lasts you forever, and it's soooo good.

Thin noodles ftw.
    Their coconut milk comes in tins and is pressed, and organic. They have small 120 ml tins for the stirfries and stuff and bigger 400 ml tins for the massaman curry and the like. It wasn't too sweet by the way, just a hint of sweetness really. I like them a bit hotter as well that's why I always start any curry by frying some garlic and chili, sometimes ginger. Yeah the pastes are great. Lovely stuff.

Edit: on the coconut milk, yeah they vary, the Thai Gold one says this on the tin: ''Coconut milk quality and flavour is determined by the coconuts and coconut oil content. Thai Gold is 18% oil. Coconut oil is one of the few great saturated fats consisting of Lauric and Capric acids, medium chain triglycerides. Don't be fooled by brands with low oil content, they're selling you water, not flavour. Organic Coconut Extract:99.65%, Organic Guar Gum: 0.35%''
    http://thai.ie/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

Football special. used to love it til i overdosed on a crate of it i found in my grannys garage when i was about eight, tried it again when i was sixteen and was sick again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

danslevent wrote: »
    My sister found a caterpillar in a bird's eye salad thing before.

I wasn't suprised with the horse meat. First caterpillars and now this!!

my partner hates mince when he was smal his mum got some from dunnes there was a caterpillar in it wont touch the stuff now

Their coconut milk comes in tins and is pressed, and organic. They have small 120 ml tins for the stirfries and stuff and bigger 400 ml tins for the massaman curry and the like. It wasn't too sweet by the way, just a hint of sweetness really. I like them a bit hotter as well that's why I always start any curry by frying some garlic and chili, sometimes ginger. Yeah the pastes are great. Lovely stuff.

Edit: on the coconut milk, yeah they vary, the Thai Gold one says this on the tin: ''Coconut milk quality and flavour is determined by the coconuts and coconut oil content. Thai Gold is 18% oil. Coconut oil is one of the few great saturated fats consisting of Lauric and Capric acids, medium chain triglycerides. Don't be fooled by brands with low oil content, they're selling you water, not flavour.''
    http://thai.ie/home.html
    Oh that's interesting, I'm not sure how much oil is in the ones I've tried, I always just see the percentage of coconut, none mention oil. I have tried loads of different ones from asian shops as Coconut milk tends to run dear :'( one was 88% coconut and 400 grams, that was rock solid haha. These are the sachets I was on about, 4 sachets for E1.xx. http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/creamed-coconut.aspx

Must try out that thai gold thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

hollster2 wrote: »
    my partner hates mince when he was smal his mum got some from dunnes there was a caterpillar in it wont touch the stuff now

Yum. Free protein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mopane-Raupen_gekocht.JPG

kowloon wrote: »
    8%!! Seriously? :eek: Name and shame.
    Don't remember now, was in a food show on ITV I think, a while back now, Battle of the Bangers it was called or something, it was a tv special, said the minimum percentage of pork was meant to be 32% but they found sausages with 8%. May have been Tesco economy but I honestly don't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

TheUsual wrote: »

pmsl ill show him that hell probably get sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lucena wrote: »

Very much so, only no heroin. Add in bits of wailing and screaming and hallucinating like Martin Sheen in the opening scene in the hotel in Apocalypse Now and it's captured.

I think the nadir of the whole time was when I screamed in agony in the bathroom from the stomach cramps and the burn in my throat and scared the hell out of my housemate.

Oh that's interesting, I'm not sure how much oil is in the ones I've tried, I always just see the percentage of coconut, none mention oil. I have tried loads of different ones from asian shops as Coconut milk tends to run dear :'( one was 88% coconut and 400 grams, that was rock solid haha. These are the sachets I was on about, 4 sachets for E1.xx. http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/creamed-coconut.aspx

Must try out that thai gold thanks.
    Cheers for the sachet link, yeah the 120 ml tins have nearly all coconut extract and the bigger 400 ml around 63 % I think, coz they're used in different recipes. Ya have to shake before using. Funny I don't see the massaman curry paste on the link I sent ya but they defo sell it and it's very good. So are their rice noodles. On the leaflet it says Thai Gold products are available in selected stores of Superquinns, Supervalu and Dunnes, and in health food shops. The stuff I bought from Supervalu wasn't dear at all. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭TheminxIRL

Mince ever since a girl I worked with whose husband was a butcher said that all the meat in mince is hoovered off the carcass once the proper cuts have gone. It includes eyeballs, ears the lot disssssssssssgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Eggs. Bananas. Yech.

Cheers for the sachet link, yeah the 120 ml tins have nearly all coconut extract and the bigger 400 ml around 63 % I think, coz they're used in different recipes. Ya have to shake before using. Funny I don't see the massaman curry paste on the link I sent ya but they defo sell it and it's very good. So are their rice noodles. On the leaflet it says Thai Gold products are available in selected stores of Superquinns, Supervalu and Dunnes, and in health food shops. The stuff I bought from Supervalu wasn't dear at all. Thanks again
    I need to try out that paste too, here is the paste I use (I saw it behind teh counter at thai places so i went and found it in asian shops)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mae-Ploy-Massaman-Curry-Paste/dp/B008B6EFOM

That's 2kg, the one we got is 400g and lasts months. I dunno if it is the same with your paste but if you add a few spoons of this it gets ridiculously hot (learned the hard way as I hate hot things)

As you can see it looks very hot! http://i.imgur.com/Djd3F.jpg

I can't wait to try out this new stuff thanks!

Don't remember now, was in a food show on ITV I think, a while back now, Battle of the Bangers it was called or something, it was a tv special, said the minimum percentage of pork was meant to be 32% but they found sausages with 8%. May have been Tesco economy but I honestly don't remember.

The nastiest sausages I've ever had were ones I had in the UK bought from ASDA. Funnily enough they were called 'Irish Recipe Sausages'. My English housemate told me that Irish sausages wouldn't be as high quality as proper English ones. It's always good to have an expert on hand.

What'swrong with sweetcorn now?

The human body can't digest it so it just passes right through.

That looks like food I would eat. I may try this thing also.
    Karsini wrote: »
    The human body can't digest it so it just passes right through.

Just the husk, we can digest the inside fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

I've been making my own Coconut Milk for years.

Usually get around 2 liters of Milk from a €1 (medium sized) coconut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Nearly getting sick reading this thread. Turning me off all food for life. :( I wish they'd invent a pill I could take that would be the same as eating a full meal.

I won't eat eggs that are runny and can't even look at them when they're raw. They make me vomit. But I love them fully cooked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Whatever was in the cup with those 2 girls in that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Found a gone off liquefied banana at the bottom of my bag a few months ago. Can't even look at them anymore.

Cool thanks for that! Must try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

craggle wrote: »
    Football special. used to love it til i overdosed on a crate of it i found in my grannys garage when i was about eight, tried it again when i was sixteen and was sick again.

Head out to Fiorintini's and get a bag of chips and a burger then wash it down with an ice cold bottle of football special. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

I need to try out that paste too, here is the paste I use (I saw it behind teh counter at thai places so i went and found it in asian shops)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mae-Ploy-Massaman-Curry-Paste/dp/B008B6EFOM

That's 2kg, the one we got is 400g and lasts months. I dunno if it is the same with your paste but if you add a few spoons of this it gets ridiculously hot (learned the hard way as I hate hot things)

I can't wait to try out this new stuff thanks!
    Wow those jars are huge, tubs really, not jars, the thai gold stuff is in small jars, very tasty though, I use two heaped teaspoons of the paste for me and my gf, sometimes a little more, but you're supposed to use one teaspoon per person. I get about three or four curries out of the small jar, I gotta say the stuff tastes really fresh and it smells great. The coconut milk makes the dish though. Yeah the more you use the hotter it is, but it's not too hot. I like to regulate the hotness myself by the amount of fresh chili I fry in the oil at the start, usually just half of one (pretty hot) without the seeds. I saw a handy tip to get the seeds out of a chili, just rub a whole chili between both palms or roll it on the chopping board and then cut of the top and twirl the chili between your fingers and the seeds just fall out. I'll try your massaman paste too if i can find it, cheers
    Btw that pic looks dangerous :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Breakfast and roast beef.

is like a desperate cry, for a woman in the mould of my mother who can cook

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Is that why Curry sauce in the chicken currys you get in chinese take aways is so thick-almost gelatanous?
    The MSG mostly makes it saltier, it's used to improve flavour but it does thicken as well, but they probably use cornflour or rice flour to thicken the sauces as well and that goes to jelly if you leave it for a bit. Chinese takeaway food is not great really, okay once in a blue moon when you don't fancy cooking or something but Indian is much nicer and healthier generally, I'd say even a fish and chips is better than Chinese. The sauces taste the same no matter what chinese you go to, a sure sign they buy them from the same wholesaler, and when ya ring them with your order it's always 'five minutes okay?'
    The veg is okay, quick stirfry, the meat is deep fried mostly but I'm sure the sauces just get zapped in the microwave. They probably buy buckets of it readymade, full of preservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

All animal meat
    Fish
    Eggs
    All dairy products
    honey

Yeah I'll try that too, though the tinned coconut milk I get is just cold pressed and organic, it wouldn't be much different, and it's not dear, so I guess it's convenient enough, but I don't mind giving that a go to compare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement