Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foods you have been turned off.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Johro wrote: »
    Yeah I'll try that too, though the tinned coconut milk I get is just cold pressed and organic, it wouldn't be much different, and it's not dear, so I guess it's convenient enough, but I don't mind giving that a go to compare.

The best way is to get yourself a masicating juicer such as the Samson Advanced (€250) as it turns the coconut chunks into pure coconut cream.

The pulp you are left with is very very dry as this type of juicer squeezes every single drop of cream and coconut oil from the coconut meat.

Don't own one myself but have a friend who has one and that's how he makes his coconut milk (just need to add water to the cream).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

"Foods you have been turned off" don't turn off the foods, we'll be starving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Whatever was in the cup with those 2 girls in that video.
    Chocolate icecream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Chicago town pizzas... Used to unreal but they decided to fiddle wit the recipe's now they're rotten. Particularly their special ones, ie. X factor or football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

yeah they did fresh dough, and it would melt if out too long and you could watch it fluff up in the oven

but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Brussels Sprouts...after my granny told me, it was a baby cabbage, and me getting sick all over the place :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

kowloon wrote: »
    The nastiest sausages I've ever had were ones I had in the UK bought from ASDA. Funnily enough they were called 'Irish Recipe Sausages'. My English housemate told me that Irish sausages wouldn't be as high quality as proper English ones. It's always good to have an expert on hand.

he's right though, irish sausages are absolutely rank. if you want a proper sausage get a good cumberland sausage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I had a particularly violent episode of food poisoning from a dodgy mussel years ago. Woke up in the middle of the night bent over in pain and spent the next 8 hours puking and shítting.

I love mussels but so harrowing was this experience that I haven't been able to brave them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Crackling. Does it even pass as food? My wife's family love the stuff, and cant understand why I hate it. Its basically hard skin. Why would I want to eat that? I tried a smidgen of the stuff at Christmas to shut them up and nearly got sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

summerskin wrote: »
    he's right though, irish sausages are absolutely rank. if you want a proper sausage get a good cumberland sausage.

I'm not saying our sausages are all that, but these things tasted like nothing I've ever had in this country. I think 'Irish' was ASDA shorthand for shit.
    I think the food quality there has had to adjust to the competition between the supermarkets and their race to the bottom. We're only catching up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

The best way is to get yourself a masicating juicer such as the Samson Advanced (€250) as it turns the coconut chunks into pure coconut cream.

The pulp you are left with is very very dry as this type of juicer squeezes every single drop of cream and coconut oil from the coconut meat.

Don't own one myself but have a friend who has one and that's how he makes his coconut milk (just need to add water to the cream).
    That's a serious piece of kit alright, I have a crappy cheap(ish) juicer myself, I might just scrape the money together sometime soon, for the coconut milk but also because I love fresh juice. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I was on holiday in Turkey about 8 years agoand there was this kid who reeked of salami. I've never been able to eat it since

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Ever since I was 11 and thought it would be a good idea to cut an entire tinsworth into cubes and eat it in one go I have not been able to even look at Spam.

And I had a craving for all-bran crunchy oat bakes for a month and then they started tasting manky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Congee. Oh dear god I can still smell it :( It was served for breakfast every morning when I was in China- I ate it for the first 3 or 4 days with a spoon of jam to make it somewhat palatable, but after that I just couldn't stomach it and had to avoid the breakfast room or I'd start the day feeling nauseous.

I've sort of stopped eating rice as a result since then- I'll only have it the odd time, and never plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Congee. Oh dear god I can still smell it :( It was served for breakfast every morning when I was in China- I ate it for the first 3 or 4 days with a spoon of jam to make it somewhat palatable, but after that I just couldn't stomach it and had to avoid the breakfast room or I'd start the day feeling nauseous.

I've sort of stopped eating rice as a result since then- I'll only have it the odd time, and never plain.

Congee has to be the most disgusting breakfast ever. The tasteless sticky sliminess is bad enough, but the bits of wizened stinking meat or fish that you're given to flavour it will stay with me forever.
    I ate far more horrible sounding things in China with pleasure compared to congee. Although I never brought myself to try the stinky tofu or the intestine fritters sold by street vendors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Cedrus wrote: »
    Congee has to be the most disgusting breakfast ever. The tasteless sticky sliminess is bad enough, but the bits of wizened stinking meat or fish that you're given to flavour it will stay with me forever.
    I ate far more horrible sounding things in China with pleasure compared to congee. Although I never brought myself to try the stinky tofu or the intestine fritters sold by street vendors.

Thankfully I wasn't subjected to any congee with meat in it- I just had the plain ricey soupy base. I didn't mind it on day one, and really really tried to like it on day 2/3/4, as it's apparently really good for you, but I just couldn't stomach it after that. Absolutely the definition of disgusting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

venison

i ate it for the first time 2 years ago and puked 7 times in the space of 12 hours. never again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

venison

i ate it for the first time 2 years ago and puked 7 times in the space of 12 hours. never again
    Perhaps you should have cooked it! :-P

I only had venison twice and I loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I had severe morning sickness (hyperemesis) and vomited up pretty much everything I ate for about 8 weeks. I'm an expert now on what foods are like in the way back up. Milk is the worst, drink that on an empty stomach and vomit it up and it comes up in lumps. Luckily, I can still drink it.

What I can't eat anymore is things flavoured strongly with ginger. Every fool told me to eat ginger/ginger beer/ginger nuts and I wouldn't be sick anymore. That **** is horrific on the way back up and it turns my stomach even thinking about it.

At one stage I was in hospital on a drip and this very pregnant lady, trying to be nice asked if a peppermint from her bag would help. I felt like saying "if peppermint helped, would I be in here on a f*cking drip?" But luckily I was too sick to be rude, she was only trying to help! Mint flavoured things are also out for me for the foreseeable future- it's also nasty on the way back up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I had peanut butter on toast about 8 years ago...I was violently ill for 3 days after. Every time i thought about it I'd vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I had peanut butter on toast about 8 years ago...I was violently ill for 3 days after. Every time i thought about it I'd vomit.

Yep thats peanut butter for you, vile stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Yep thats peanut butter for you, vile stuff.

I ate 2 slices of toast with it on it, didnt make me feel sick. Then afterwards whenever I thought about it I just instantly got sick!

Had to vomit in my sleeve actually, my brother was in the toilet and I didnt make it to the other bathroom :( Spend the next 3 days with a bucket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I imagine feces tastes like peanut butter mixed with rotting meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

Karona wrote: »
    My favourite food was eggs up until last night.

I was boiling some eggs to make a salad sandwich and when i was taking the shell off one of the eggs i noticed a pink patch on it. I went to cut it off and noticed something in the yolk.... I nearly threw up.
    It was a fetus of a chick.

I don't think I will be eating eggs for a long time now after witnessing that.

This happened to me when I was a kid. I had a boiled egg with "soldiers" for breakfast - cut the top off the egg and there the chick was. I didn't start eating eggs again until about four years ago (I'm 30 now!) and I still only eat them if I whisk them with a fork AND put them through a sieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

This happened to me when I was a kid. I had a boiled egg with "soldiers" for breakfast - cut the top off the egg and there the chick was. I didn't start eating eggs again until about four years ago (I'm 30 now!) and I still only eat them if I whisk them with a fork AND put them through a sieve.

Love how this is your first post! :D

Now I am paranoid about finding a chicken baby in my egg....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rubiesarered

danslevent wrote: »
    Love how this is your first post! :D

Now I am paranoid about finding a chicken baby in my egg....

I grew up on a farm and we had our own chickens etc. It wasn't just an embryo either - it was a proper chick with eyes and downy feathers. I'd say it was about to hatch and then died for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

I grew up on a farm and we had our own chickens etc. It wasn't just an embryo either - it was a proper chick with eyes and downy feathers. I'd say it was about to hatch and then died for some reason.

maybe cos you boiled it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I went off peanut butter for ages after putting it on toast one day; it just looked too much like the contents of a nappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have a lot of issues with food textures- anything slimey makes me gag (the mammy days i was like that from when I first started eating solids).

Grapes are the worst offenders- I liken biting into one as chomping into an eyeball. Ick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

E.S.T. wrote: »
    Salmon, hate the taste of the farmed stuff compared to the wild caught and that is all that is around now.

If people knew the truth about salmon farming they would never touch the stuff again. Organic certification in this country is a joke - people are under the impression that organic food is free of pesticides, etc., but for some reason salmon can be treated with pesticides, hydrogen peroxide, veterinary medicines in their food, and still be called "organic". Not to mention what goes into their feed - definitely not organic. And not to mention the environmental damage caused by salmon farming.... :rolleyes:

http://www.albany.edu/ihe/salmonstudy/pressrelease.html
    In most cases, as detailed in the study, consumption of more than one meal of farmed salmon per month could pose unacceptable cancer risks according to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) methods for calculating fish consumption advisories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    I was on holiday in Turkey about 8 years agoand there was this kid who reeked of salami. I've never been able to eat it since

:D That made me laugh for some reason!

Me, I can't stand lamb or mutton, it's greasy and it fcuking stinks. The smell alone makes me want to hurl the rainbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Meat.

I used to like it, but gave it up some 5 years ago after moving in with my then boyfriend who's been vegetarian for most of his life.

I did miss it at first, but it just was too much hassle to essentially cook two meals each day.
    I realised recently that not only do I not miss it any more, the thought of it makes me feel queasy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I was talking face to face to a work colleague on friday. The stench of stale coffee off her breath was so bad that it's put me completely off coffee indefinately.

I have a lot of issues with food textures- anything slimey makes me gag (the mammy days i was like that from when I first started eating solids).

Grapes are the worst offenders- I liken biting into one as chomping into an eyeball. Ick.

Eating a grape as I read that, no lie! One of my favourite fruits :) try red ones, much firmer than green :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

IKEA desserts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pre-packed ham.

I always bought Denny Traditional Ham because I never liked any other brand. I'm very fussy when it comes to ham and would vomit if I was presented with shiny wet ham with visible fat on it, so Denny's was always a safe bet cos it was "dry looking" and had no fat in it.

Until recently..

They've done something to their ham and now it's got JELLY pieces in some of the slices, Big clear see through bubbles in the ham-much like the jelly in corned beef. VOM CITY.

I'll be sticking to real ham, boiled in a pot and sliced thinly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I had some dodgy chorizo in Spain a few years ago. Having food poisoning when it was 30 degrees out was more than enough to put me off chorizo for life.

Two years ago I had tonsillitis, and Mum bought me some Lucozade. Unfortunately, my antibiotics made me sick, so I haven't drunk Lucozade for a loooong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

This isn't the greatest thread to be reading when you're eating, I think I'll become vegan now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Years ago, my brother made caramelised onions to go with the steak. Stongly dislike onions done like that but ate them anyways. 24 hours layer, developed an unrelated vomiting bug. Gawking at the thought of them.

Also, haven't touched Fiacla toothpaste since something similar happened to me when I was 9.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Pre-packed ham.

I always bought Denny Traditional Ham because I never liked any other brand. I'm very fussy when it comes to ham and would vomit if I was presented with shiny wet ham with visible fat on it, so Denny's was always a safe bet cos it was "dry looking" and had no fat in it.

Until recently..

They've done something to their ham and now it's got JELLY pieces in some of the slices, Big clear see through bubbles in the ham-much like the jelly in corned beef. VOM CITY.

I'll be sticking to real ham, boiled in a pot and sliced thinly.

I will rampage through every single pack of ham in a super market until I find one with no jelly or bits of fat. They myst love me in Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    At one stage I was in hospital on a drip and this very pregnant lady, trying to be nice asked if a peppermint from her bag would help. I felt like saying "if peppermint helped, would I be in here on a f*cking drip?" But luckily I was too sick to be rude, she was only trying to help! Mint flavoured things are also out for me for the foreseeable future- it's also nasty on the way back up

Good intentions, but kinda patronising!! I remember readin a news story about a man who had hiccups for 2 years. Obviously, he was miserable, he couldn't sleep properly, made it difficult for him to eat etc etc. So he was getting some surgery to stop it happening. Some woman comments under the news story, 'He should try drinking a glass of water backwards, that always works for me'......cos in 2 years he presumably hadn't thought of that!

Great thead.

Am now off coffee, milk, eggs, bacon, sardines, salmon, fried rice, swiss roll, philadelphia cheese, goats milk, capers, dominos pizza, barrys tea, hake, own brand sausage, raspberry jam, coconuts, peanut butter, muller light, select pork products, fig rolls, caviar, asparagus and mars bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

I thought I was the only one :eek:

mushrooms are a big no no aswell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I will rampage through every single pack of ham in a super market until I find one with no jelly or bits of fat. They myst love me in Dunnes.

Ha, I used to do the very same thing, but it can be very deceiving, picking up a pack that looks fine but realising when you get home, that the label on the front was HIDING the jelly bits in the middle of the ham!

It's terribly frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Karona wrote: »
    I was boiling some eggs to make a salad sandwich and when i was taking the shell off one of the eggs i noticed a pink patch on it. I went to cut it off and noticed something in the yolk.... I nearly threw up.
    It was a fetus of a chick.

Will you be bringing the fetus to term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Scruffles wrote: »
    am not saying are lying but finding this difficult to understand.
    cant see how that was possible-the fetus can only develop if it has been under a broody hen-or in an incubator with correct humidity for a few days.
    it doesnt even look like a fetus for at least a week,the earlier signs of development will see using a candler are veins spidering out,with each day or so these spider out more,a red dot thing will appear- that eventualy becomes the fetus start to form slowly,and when theyre half way through development or so will see them swimming around.:cool:

is there any chance of taking a photo of this egg?
    woud be interested to see what this looks like exactly and itd also be a good idea to show the photo to the farm had got them from to make sure they get tougher on their egg removing practices every day.
    am still not getting this as a broody hen who is incubating eggs will not get off them for anyone; they go mental in fact if try to go near their eggs, the only time they woud ever leave their eggs is when they sense something is seriously wrong with the chicks;that they havent properly developed.
    NB.am a hobby handrearer of pet chickens from hatching egg/incubating stage.

the japanese eat live twelve day old fetuses as a meal by the way,they showed a one being eaten on the uk food channel and mum was furious-she emailed a complaint in- regardless of culture animal abuse shoud not be an accepted let alone celebrated form of media here,it woud not be accepted by the RSPCA if done by some random on the street/general public.

I've had the same thing happen in Ireland once, making a microwaved poached egg. Only noticed when it was cooking and I got a really nasty rotten meat smell.

We had a Filipino cleaner around at the time, who, to my disgust, happily ate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Blisterman wrote: »
    I've had the same thing happen in Ireland once, making a microwaved poached egg. Only noticed when it was cooking and I got a really nasty rotten meat smell.

We had a Filipino cleaner around at the time, who, to my disgust, happily ate it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_the-6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Stuffing after getting food poisoning from it and having to taste it on the way back up for the next 48 hours. Feel queasy even thinking about stuffing.

You can't beat a good stuffing now an again. Especially with a big bird.

Personally I can't stand brandy after it gave me food poisoning.

Garlic cheese chips.

Puked them up mixed with vodka before...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sausages as well. Can't stomach it.

Advertisement