Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge freezer broke

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I don't think a tenant can take out contents insurance even if they wanted to. Isn't it the case that you can't insure what you don't own?

True, but you can and should insure what you DO own. It differs from rental to rental, but some people own things like the telly etc, you should (and do afaik) have the right to insure these

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I don't think a tenant can take out contents insurance even if they wanted to. Isn't it the case that you can't insure what you don't own?

A tenant can, and absolutely should, take out contents insurance. The point of contents insurance is that you are insuring everything that you do own in the property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭TheOldHand

djimi wrote: »
    A tenant can, and absolutely should, take out contents insurance. The point of contents insurance is that you are insuring everything that you do own in the property.

Depends on how much stuff you have. If found that it was incredibly bad value and not worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

it stopped working a few days before i noticed, things started going bad, there was a lot of ice build up on the freezer element for months was this the cause of the breakdown I was never told by my landlord to defrost it or anything so all my stuff is ruined lots of meat etc etc. :mad:

"I was never told to defrost it"

Sounds like your fault to me.

TheOldHand wrote: »
    Depends on how much stuff you have. If found that it was incredibly bad value and not worth having.

Costs me a shade over €100 for the year to get contents insurance up to €25k. Its a no brainer as far as Im concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

until the place gets robbed, flooded or burnt down and then you think why the hell didnt i just insure my stuff.

Last time I checked it was nearer 200 quid when it should be about 30.

Why pay 25k contents insurance when I have about 5k of contents. The only likely loss is a burglary and that would be about 2k of electronics gone. The chance of a fire destroying everything is probably 1 in 20,000.

Then you'd have an excess and the hassle of claiming. I have tens of thousands in savings so I'd never be stuck. I think it's for people who have no savings and are poor at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why pay 25k contents insurance when I have about 5k of contents. The only likely loss is a burglary and that would be about 2k of electronics gone. The chance of a fire destroying everything is probably 1 in 20,000.

Then you'd have an excess and the hassle of claiming. I have tens of thousands in savings so I'd never be stuck. I think it's for people who have no savings and are poor at maths.

I am renting, and have insurance. Does that make me poor at maths? Of course not!! Do you drive? Do you have insurance? You do know that if you have an accident, the same procedure will also apply?? You pay the excess, and then the insurance takes care of the rest. That is how it works.

It's only people too poor to afford contents insurance or arrogant know-it-alls like you that think it'll never happen to them that don't...

I would be surprised if most renters only had 5k of stuff. Electronics and clothes alone would in many cases tally that high if not higher. without considering anything else.

fair enough if you only have 5k of stuff then of course it makes no sense in insuring it at the cost of the premiums.

But trust me a fire gutting a place totally is not a 1 in 20,000 occurance unfortunatly. I've not figured out if your a troll or just arrogant but contents insurance isnt for those that are just bad at maths or cant afford to replace their stuff.

Perhaps your an arrogant troll.

Car insurance is first of all a legal requirement and its ok value. I pay 400 a year to avoid millions of euro in liabilities. I pay pet insurance as again I cannot cover potentially hundreds of thousands in vet bills and the cover is reasonable value. I'm a stat man by trade so I can I understand how some people get confused on these issues.

• Advertisement

Car insurance is first of all a legal requirement and its ok value. I pay 400 a year to avoid millions of euro in liabilities. I pay pet insurance as again I cannot cover potentially hundreds of thousands in vet bills and the cover is reasonable value. I'm a stat man by trade so I can I understand how some people get confused on these issues.

Value is what you percieve it to be.

A stat man would realise that insurance premuims are underwritten on the probability of a claim, meaning that your pet insurance claim probability versus your premiums means you will over the long term probably lose out financially.

But who cares ? Thats the point of insurance, for a relatively small premuim you have the peace of mind to know that you wont end up in a bad situation, should the unthinkable happen.

In financial terms your pet insurance is bad value. It becomes good value if you have to ever make a claim. No different than contents insurance.

but as a stats man you should already realise this.

You have a very poor understanding of insurance. In your eyes a 100 euro and a 200 euro premium are of equal value. It's about understanding the average risk and reward that you are categorised in and then working out whether you are overpaying or under paying based on your own circumstances.

€100 to cover the thousands of Euro worth of equipment I have in the house is absolutely nothing as far as Im concerned. It even covers things like laptops if they get broken/stolen when outside the property. Why would I spent €1000 of my saving to replace my laptop when I could spend €100 on a policy that would cover it?

If something were to happen (fire/burglary etc) I stand to lose more than €100 on pretty much every item that would be taken/destroyed, and I have a lot of items that would be taken/destroyed. I have no idea how you dont understand the value of something that you pay so little for.

Sometimes it's a chore trying to explain the basics.

Make sure you all get payment protection plans with your mortgages. All insurance is a good idea. It can never be pointless or bad value.

Sometimes it's a chore trying to explain the basics.

Make sure you all get payment protection plans with your mortgages. All insurance is a good idea. It can never be pointless or bad value.

Are you really trying to suggest that a €100 insurance policy to protect up to €25k worth of contents is bad value? Do you live in some sort of dream world where nothing ever gets stolen or broken? Im assuming you have never been the victim of a home invasion, because if it is something that has happened to you in the past there is absolutely no way you would be arguing against content insurance.

Those are based on the average rental. I have 5k of contents and would love in a property with much lower risk. I'm not on the business of subsidising higher risk policies. The same reason I will never have health insurance in Ireland.

You have a very poor understanding of insurance. In your eyes a 100 euro and a 200 euro premium are of equal value. It's about understanding the average risk and reward that you are categorised in and then working out whether you are overpaying or under paying based on your own circumstances.

where did i say they are of equal value. Do you actually read what people post or just go off in wild tangents ?

yes it is about average risk. Like i said a decent stats man would know that the chance of a claim versus the premium means that in financial terms no insurance is of value financially for the average person.

thats why insurnace companies hire statistical analists and have underwriters putting together their premiums.

it only becomes financially valuable if you have to make a claim. The value in insurance is generally from the security of knowing you are covered rather than from an actual claim.

financially you are overpaying for your per cover. How can I say this ? Its because the statictics say so. Believe it or not thats how insurance companies make profit.

Thats not the point however. Your paying for the peace of mind to know that should you need to claim you can.

as for my knowledge of insurance its actually very good. I try and dumb things down for posters like you though so you can try grasp it. Theres not helping some people though.

Those are based on the average rental. I have 5k of contents and would love in a property with much lower risk. I'm not on the business of subsidising higher risk policies. The same reason I will never have health insurance in Ireland.

If you are happy that your house won't get broken into and are confident that nothing you own will ever break then more power to you. Also it must be great to be the bionic man who will never get sick/injured and require medical attention.

For the rest of us its well worth paying what is a relatively small amount for things like of contents and health insurance, to cover us against eventualities that we could not afford to cover otherwise.

I'm not on the business of subsidising higher risk policies.

Sorry to break it to you but if you have car insurance this is exactly what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Me too. I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building with controlled access. To burgle me they would have to go to a lot of effort! All of our appliances have a warranty against damage. We don't have a fire or gas or are at risk of floods.

Despite all this, I share a postcode with part of the town centre so insurance is expensive.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but if you have car insurance this is exactly what you are doing.

Unfortunately there is no legal way to avoid that.
    Also, I am happy to have car insurance because I could cause serious injury to someone else and I want them to be fairly compensated.

Unfortunately there is no legal way to avoid that.
    Also, I am happy to have car insurance because I could cause serious injury to someone else and I want them to be fairly compensated.

well you could refuse to drive. My point is he was being obtuse so got a sarcastic response. Im sur emost understood exactly what i was getting at.

Me too. I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building with controlled access. To burgle me they would have to go to a lot of effort! All of our appliances have a warranty against damage. We don't have a fire or gas or are at risk of floods.

Despite all this, I share a postcode with part of the town centre so insurance is expensive.

thats all well and good you making a decision based on what you believe your risk of any of these things happening are to you. That does not mean that contents insurance as the other poster put it is for people who cant do maths or cant afford to replace their own stuff.

thats all well and good you making a decision based on what you believe your risk of any of these things happening are to you. That does not mean that contents insurance as the other poster put it is for people who cant do maths or cant afford to replace their own stuff.

Oh yea, of course not. A minority will get good value because the insurer will underestimate the risk and others will pay for peace of mind which is valuable but hard to put a figure on.

Is this an argument about the cost/value of insurance now instead of advising the op on their situation regarding their desire to try to get the landord to pay for their mistake?

hdowney wrote: »
    Is this an argument about the cost/value of insurance now instead of advising the op on their situation regarding their desire to try to get the landord to pay for their mistake?

the OP has had a pretty definitive response. The concensus is clear the LL is not responsible, so to be honest this thread has run its course.

the OP has had a pretty definitive response. The concensus is clear the LL is not responsible, so to be honest this thread has run its course.

This. I agree with this. It just seems it went a little off topic with the whole good/evil of insurance!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement