Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite public place to walk your dog?

• 03-03-2013 4:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭

For me it's the grounds of Castletown House in Celbridge, Co Kildare. It's huge and the place is always full of people walking their dogs, it's such a nice atmosphere. Are there many very dog friendly places out there to walk your dog? I've never been to Marley Park, is it worth a look? Malahide Castle and Ardgillen Castle have great grounds too but I've never seen as many dogs as I do in Castletown House anywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Enniscrone beach co Sligo or Beleek woods in Mayo. In galway I really like Renville Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I go to the woods around Cong and Clonbur, (Mayo) and also Knockma hill near Tuam (Galway)... we walk up and run down (wheeeeeeeee!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Town or the parks around town. Dont drive so cant take her to any beaches etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We are blessed in North Dublin with some fantastic dog walks but the cliffs around Howth Head are my favourites. You always work up a good sweat! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cratloe woods in co Clare, always lots of doggies to make friends with and there is a lake not far in so great for letting Her have a swim :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Doneraile park cork takes good hour around lovely grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Glendalough, when it's not too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Garryvoe Beach, just past Castlemartyr.
    Garretstown Beach at Kinsale.
    Glen River Park at Ballyvolane.
    Marina Park at Blackrock.

Dog's happy with any of those! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The grounds of St Kevins laundry and asylum in Cork is great.

Also, there is a walk from the lee fields which brings you over to the Tennis Village. Rufus loves that.

Those are the 2 main ones we do anyway. Once the weather gets better (if?) I reckon we will take a trip or 2 to Garryvoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Cliff walk bray to greystones, Avondale, 3 Rock, Kilmashogue, Tibradden (across the hills to 3 rock), Killiney hill, Marley Park and dog park for a bit of a 'chat' with the other doggies:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭fits

Devils Glen is nice and never as hectic as Glendalough can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Got to agree with the OP, Castletown is great. Love to get our lad up there when we can. I would love to bring him to a beach during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

My black lab and I stay on the beaches here where we are minutes from the south east coast of the states. She loves to swim and play frisbee and chase the sea gulls into flying off over the ocean. I had a mixed hound/lab that passes this past Dec due to cancer, he hated the ocean so I'm thinking that must have been the hound in him. What a sweet boy, he was only 8yo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

+1 on Castletown.Great place to spend an hour or two with the doggies.

Foods quite good aswell in the restaurant and you can eat it outside in the summer while the dogs relax at your feet.

The other place I take mine is Donadea forest.Another great spot for long walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

molly loves sandymount strand, she gets a huge run there and meets lots of friends!! if we have time we go all the way out to the lighthouse and then molly sleeps for about 6 hours when we get home!

her other favourite walk is dogs bay near roundstone co. galway! its so lovely and walking around the head land makes you feel like your the last person alive in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mornington to Bettystown Beach.

Walk down to Bettystown along the sea so the dogs spend the first half of the walk in the water. Pop into Bistro BThttps://www.facebook.com/bistro.bt.3?fref=ts for either a quick coffee if tight for time or sometimes we stay for food. Walk through the dunes on the way back and usually the dogs are dry by the time we get back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Bushy Park in Dublin: a riverside walk outside the actual park, and in the park the old Shaw's Wood, with paths up to playing fields, past the playground, the skate park, the never-used-as-far-as-I-know bandstand in a natural amphitheatre that would be perfect for small concerts, the football fields, the pond with swans and the darker pond with frogs and silence, the planting of wild meadow flowers, the wood-and-bronze nameplates for famous trees (some disgustingly graffiti'd), the shelly house, the romping dogs, the runners and walkers and chatters and passers-by-in-silence and children braving the stepping stones, the poem that no one notices beside those stepping stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Love to bring Archie to Castletown but the last time I was there it was like a swamp. Is it still the same?

Bring him to St. Catharine's park in Lucan, great open space for playing ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Lough Gur in Co. Limerick, Clare Glens in Co. Tipperary or Curraghchase in Co. Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

Our two love a runabout in Castletown house too, the swampiness was much better on Sunday, only a couple of patches that we came across, I guess it depends on the weather. Catherine's Park is probably next on our list too, also the canal from Celbridge or from Louisa Bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

gimmick wrote: »
    The grounds of St Kevins laundry and asylum in Cork is great.

I thought that was private property and people weren't allowed to walk around up there. Do they allow you to walk dogs up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I walk my fella there almost every day. There is a security guy sat in his car in front of the "Lee Towers" apartments alright but he salutes me at this stage. I see a good few others walking dogs around there as well.

Its a handy walk but if you are not the sturdiest on your feet I would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

howth or portmarnock beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Doneraile park cork takes good hour around lovely grounds.

Is that the place just past Mallow?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Nala loves the beach and the wood's. I brought her to coole park in galway recently and she loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

snollup wrote: »
    Love to bring Archie to Castletown but the last time I was there it was like a swamp. Is it still the same?

Bring him to St. Catharine's park in Lucan, great open space for playing ball!

Is that near the village snollup?

Yeah Castletown can be swampy, depending on the weather. I always bring the wellies now just in case. But maybe with all the work going on there at the moment they might improve the walks a bit.

I liked Donadea forest too but paying to walk my dog there just annoys me.

Advertisement