Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Groups in Limerick?

• 03-03-2013 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I know this has been dealt with before but I'm wondering whether there is any groups who meet and run in Limerick? whether it be part of a club or just a 3 or 4 people who get together and run? I'm in my early 30's and have done a lot of 10 k's.

I'm not particularily fast,more durable than quick. But I find it quite tedious on my own a lot of the time,only so many time's I can listen to Phil Collins and I've seen all the sheep Limerick has to offer,most of them look the same.

So if anyone here does know of anyone that I could link up with,I'd be very grateful!

Danke schoen:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Dooneen ac meet in raheen fri evenings my brother was with them when he lived here nice bunch of people as per him

• Registered Users Posts: 26 redhead33

Freiheit wrote: »
    Hi I know this has been dealt with before but I'm wondering whether there is any groups who meet and run in Limerick? whether it be part of a club or just a 3 or 4 people who get together and run? I'm in my early 30's and have done a lot of 10 k's.

I'm not particularily fast,more durable than quick. But I find it quite tedious on my own a lot of the time,only so many time's I can listen to Phil Collins and I've seen all the sheep Limerick has to offer,most of them look the same.

So if anyone here does know of anyone that I could link up with,I'd be very grateful!

i would be intrested in this as i am in same predicament but it depends on what area your in ,i am in the country but i dont have transport ..

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Look up the Limerick City Loopers on facebook.
    As far as I know they meet every Monday at 7 by the treaty stone. Think they also do a run on Thursdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi I'm around Corbally-Parteen,don't drive,run to most parts of the Limerick area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Tuesday evening track session in UL, starts around 7pm, anyone can amble along and its usually a small donation to cover the costs of hte lights .... 2€

great for turning you from a durable runner to a quick one :-)

Lot of smaller groups hook up out of this for slower stuff during the week.

• Advertisement

Thanks,maybe after the Great Limerick Run I'll join you then,at the moment I'm training morning time and doubt I could adjust to evenings at the stage,before the 'run' I mean,but when it's over,then I might well join up,thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There's a very dedicated group who meet every Wednesday night to go hill running in the hills around Limerick (Killaloe, Cratloe, Keeper Hill etc). PM me for details. Distances are 7 - 13k, depending on the venue. Wide range of abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jenelle

Barringtons Hospital Great Limerick Run are holding their SECOND CLINIC of 2013 in The Clarion Hotel Limerick On Wednesday March 13th at 8pm.

The Second Clinic of the series of four is a hands-on stretching clinic.

The Class will be hosted by Richie CLifford of UL Sports Arena. Turn up in Gear and Mats will be provided for you.
    Other Speakers: Neil Cusack and Siobhan McCormack.
    It's one NOT TO BE MISSED.

SEE YOU THERE!!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Freiheit wrote: »

There's a meetup group who run on Monday evenings, just an easy loop around the river & sometimes a drink at the Curragower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Humdmale

Buckeye wrote: »
    There's a meetup group who run on Monday evenings, just an easy loop around the river & sometimes a drink at the Curragower.

That's us ... Limerick City Loopers. It's a social group as much as a running group and beginners/walkers are very welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/LimerickCityLoopers?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Humdmale wrote: »
    That's us ... Limerick City Loopers. It's a social group as much as a running group and beginners/walkers are very welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/LimerickCityLoopers?fref=ts

What distances do ye usually run?

What distances do ye usually run?

The loop is 2.1 miles or 3.4 km and it takes 20-25 mins. A few people do a second lap. Monday nights we go for a drink and a chat in the Curraghower after the run.

If you're interested, come along to the Treaty Stone at 7pm on Monday evening.

Thanks. I'm training for the G.L.R. marathon, where I'm likely to come last,so need a bit more than 2.1 miles at the mo.,but when that's over I'll definitely come along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

this might not be the right place for this - but does anyone else suffer from sore knees while running/after running 10k? The past week and half I have started doing them - although during the run, the pain can be a bit much, but i wouldnt have to stop because of it, after the run though - its fairly noticeable.

Hmm I do get sore knees,well I fell badly a few years ago so think a bit might be due to that,but rest,stretches, a hot water bottle, and not doing too much too soon should help. I know your balance ,ie the way you run is a factor but I don't understand it,so can't give advice:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Mclove: stop running or you'll wreck your knees... I wrecked mine running years ago

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Mclove: stop running or you'll wreck your knees... I wrecked mine running years ago

Or he could just identify what's causing the problem and remedy it. No need to throw the baby out with the bath-water unless a doctor recommends it.

It could be as simple as wearing the wrong footwear (or wearing the right runners incorrectly). Freiheit's points about form and doing too much too soon could be part of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah was doing the 10k runs every second day, could be the reason.

Any suggestions for a 20 mile run starting from Corbally? I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Or he could just identify what's causing the problem and remedy it. No need to throw the baby out with the bath-water unless a doctor recommends it.

It could be as simple as wearing the wrong footwear (or wearing the right runners incorrectly). Freiheit's points about form and doing too much too soon could be part of it too.

Hadn't time to finish my post... But yeah that's what I meant... Stop running until you figure out what's causing the prob.

I ignored the signs ended up with cists and cartilage damage when I was in my early twenties...

Marty...

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    this might not be the right place for this - but does anyone else suffer from sore knees while running/after running 10k? The past week and half I have started doing them - although during the run, the pain can be a bit much, but i wouldnt have to stop because of it, after the run though - its fairly noticeable.

Could be lots of different problems. If it's at the side it might be your I.T, band which is common enough in runners. Maybe you need to change your footwear, running surface, maybe even running style. Get a good physio who treats athletes, runners in particular. Hopefully it's something simple that can be treated with massage, ice, rest, using a roller, stretching etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Mc Love wrote: »

Check in with your doctor to make sure everything is really okay, and make sure you're doing enough strength training so your muscles are taking as much of the stress off your joints as possible. And as noted above, get your shoes checked out!

Advertisement