Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying

Options
  • 03-03-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys just wandering if anyone has any helpful study tips. Will be doing my junior cert in june , but cant seem to find a way to study effectively. Thanks .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listen properly in class.
    Never leave a classroom not understanding something.
    Do all your homework to the best of your ability.

For Junior Cert. that will do it, especially the listening bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I re-write anything I learnt in class, I just need to write it once and then it's stuck in my head for awhile. Really effective for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Buy a copy for studying and take notes, like the important parts from the textbook and read over it. Don't aim for time slots, aim for chapters/topics done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ellie182

I've just said this in another thread, but genuinely, doing your homework is one of the best things you can be doing at this stage of the year. I didn't do any homework at all for any of 2nd year or the first part of 3rd year and I basically failed everything, but I started doing it (or even bits of it) after Christmas of 3rd year and it seriously helped.
    It's March, so I imagine you're well into exam paper questions at this stage? If you're not but you feel like you should be and your teacher is just crap, do them anyway. I think it's the Edco ones that have the little code you can put in on their website and they give sample answers for loads of questions. Do that.
    It's one thing to know all the material of a course, but you won't get the points you deserve unless you're comfortable with the exam layout and you know what's expected of you.
    As well as doing homework, I'd probably recommend listening in class, if you can. I'd say that's what got me through my JC, because I rarely studied outside of doing work in class or homework.
    If it's getting pretty close to exams and you feel like you're just not going to have time to go over the rest of the course, get one of those Revise Wise books. They usually have them in libraries (probably even your school one) so you don't have to go out and buy one. But they're pretty good, especially for languages like French or German because they have vocab lists and stuff and all the grammar is in one place. Som people think they're crap, but I like them.

As for actually studying, like taking notes and stuff.. yeah I have no idea. Studying was never something I became acquainted with.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chester3455

I find when studying a topic that if u write out all you know on it and then try learn the topic from the book and then write out all you know on it again its really useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Tbh listening and writing in class for me doesn't work, i'm hearing everything my teacher says and i do understand but they never really involve the students so i always end up day dreaming. In subjects like English where you are engaged by writing down your own opinion it's extremely easy to pay attention as the teacher is always asking for your thoughts.

Advertisement