Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet food for cats

• 03-03-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I've been feeding my cats whiskas wet food since they were kittens, used to feed them go cat dry but now they get either royal canin skin and coat, pure feline beauty depending which we can find or at the moment it's red mills supreme as peach won a 10kg bag for winning the cat show :D but since I have them on a high quality dry I figure I should get a high quality wet to match it so could anyone help me in saying which is the best type while being good value? And would it work out cheaper than buying whiskas in the long run? I would buy just a small amount first to make sure they like it as peach can be very fussy, she only likes fish flavour food at the moment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You should take a look at zooplus, viovet and vetuk sites. They all have a good selection. You could try a few and see which ones they prefer. I've been thinking of taking my 2 off the Felix pouches and putting them on a better quality wet food. They used to be on RC feline slimness but they've had Applaws for the past 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I feed mine Royal Canin wet food, ultra slim, but my vet has said that Applaws is a very good quality wet food. High meat content, etc. So I would try the Applaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've tried royal canin wet food before, the ones for skin and fur but it was a euro per pouch and was working out sort of expensive. I must have a look at applaws though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

OP you're feeding them one of the worst cat foods on the market on wet and Royal Canin is at best a medium quality dry food. To remain at a similar price you should consider Bozita, Grau or Feringa; they are good higher quality foods (not top of the line ala Applaws but still very good) in larger tin sizes should be similar price to Whiskas pouches and they are all sold by Zooplus (Feringa being their own branded food).

Btw, here's the difference:
    Whiskas food content:
    UFFICEINT WATER FOR PROCESSING, CHICKEN, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, WHEAT GLUTEN, STARCH, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, ADDED COLOR, GUAR GUM, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TAURINE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, DL-METHIONINE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, ZINC SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), POTASSIUM IODIDE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, MENADIONE SODIUM BISULFITE COMPLEX (SOURCE OF VITAMIN K ACTIVITY).

Bozita:
    Chicken, rabbit (7.2% in the chunk), beef, pig, calcium carbonate, yeast (β-1.3/1.6-glucan 0,01%).

Notice a difference in what's included? I.e. no BS cheap starch to make cats want to eat it...

Here's Royal Canin No 1 Beauty Dry as comparison as well:
    dehydrated poultry meat, rice, husked oats, wheat, animal fats, maize gluten, hydrolysed animal proteins, wheat gluten, yeasts, chicory pulp, vegetable fibres, fish oil, soya oil, flax seeds (source of omega 3) (1%), minerals, egg powder, borage oil (0.1%). : Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 20600 IU, Vitamin D3: 700 IU, E1 (Iron): 30 mg, E2 (Iodine): 2.3 mg, E4 (Copper): 10 mg, E5 (Manganese): 39 mg, E6 (Zinc): 129 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.04 mg - Antioxidants (natural extracts rich in tocopherols: 120 mg).

Protein: 33% - Fat content: 17% - Crude ash: 6.3% - Crude fibres: 2.9% - Omega 6 fatty acids: 32 g/kg - Omega 3 fatty acids: 10 g/kg.
    Note how they have to add in nutrition due to the quality of their ingredients.

And a top of the line dry food for comparison (Acana):
    Chicken meal, russet potato, boneless chicken, boneless walleye, whitefish meal*, peas, chicken fat, sun-cured alfalfa, chicken liver, boneless Lake Whitefish, whole eggs, salmon oil, sweet potato, pumpkin, spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, carrots, apples, organic kelp, cranberries, blueberries, juniper berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, lavender flowers, summer savory, rosemary.
    * ACANA whitefish meal contains wild-caught Alaskan cod, pollack, sole, and haddock.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude protein (min.) 35%
    Crude fat (min.) 20%
    Crude fiber (max.) 3%
    Moisture (max.) 10%
    Calcium (min.) 1.3 %
    Phosphorus (min.) 1.1%
    Omega-6 (min.) 3.5%
    Omega 3 (min.) 0.5%
    Magnesium 0.9%
    All human graded stuff; no additives required.

You can use this thread as a reference for the quality differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Take a look at bozita wet food, all meat and my cats go nuts for the rabbit, reindeer or elk flavours. Big packs are best value. They love applaws wet too.

I just bought applaws dry on zooplus.co.uk and got it on offer, so may be worth an order. (Also if you're a fatcheese member go through there to get cash back too)

Just realised Nody recommended same above. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh I know all about whiskas being crap but when it's the parents buying there's not a lot could be done about it, I feed the royal canin/ red mills as it suits both my cats and my budget, that and convenience! I don't really want to change their dry now that I've found one that suits them well but I am definitely giving the applaws good consideration, I've finally xonvinced my mother that it will work out better to buy good quality in bulk! Now if only I could convince her that we really need a third cat...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

I bought a few tins of real nature today , wishkas size tins €2.10 each .

The tin seems promising :) 33% chicken 33% beef and 30.5% chicken and beef stock rest in vitamins minerals an some rice on the tins I purchased.

Anyone have any other suggestion of other wet foods with similar or better meat content ?

Also I like to give my kitty 2 days with half his food for the day as a dry food and I'm wondering about the best meat quality and least fillers , and what sort of price ?

Thanks

Shao wrote: »
    I bought a few tins of real nature today , wishkas size tins €2.10 each .

The tin seems promising :) 33% chicken 33% beef and 30.5% chicken and beef stock rest in vitamins minerals an some rice on the tins I purchased.

Anyone have any other suggestion of other wet foods with similar or better meat content ?

Also I like to give my kitty 2 days with half his food for the day as a dry food and I'm wondering about the best meat quality and least fillers , and what sort of price ?

Thanks
    Have a look at Zooplus.ie, they have a great range of cat food and they give an exact break down of everything and the percentages of everything in each food. I'm thinking of putting my 2 on Schesir, I haven't decided yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My two Toms won't touch anything but the Tesco own brand, strange guys they are anyway. The older one eats the kitten pouches, the kitten eats the adult pouches :pac:

Tesco used to sell a very good quality own brand wet cat food a few years ago, I think it was around 40% min meat content and my cats loved it. I can't remember what it cost, I think it was about 12 euro for the 12 pack of pouches and then it disappeared from the shelves in my nearest Tesco. I tried Bozita and my guys hated it as they do with some of the more expensive ones.

I was reading a cat book recently that said some cat food brands use the old used cooking fat from cafes/etc that can't be used for anything else in their catfood. Thats in America so I'm not sure if its the case here or elsewhere in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Would you consider feeding raw mince to them or raw chicken wings as a treat with their dry?
    Or if you look in the discount section in tesco etc you might get a pack of chicken breasts that you could freeze and steam in small amounts, giving them some of the water with it?
    Most of the good wet foods are expensive to feed on a daily basis.

Mine are both on Applaws dry food, they have Felix(I know, atrocious) pouches divided in half pouches twice a day. One of my chaps is good at drinking water the other I've only seen drink twice in the 3 years he's been with us. They both have raw mince once a week and half a raw chicken breast each twice a week. One loves his raw chicken wings the other would rather starve than eat them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

Best food for cats:

I had a cat that lived for 21 years and ate Whiskas, never overweight and had very few health problems, she did have kidney problems toward the end of her life but apparently this is common and they can function quite well on low kidney function, anyway it was difficult to feed her anything else cos she was quite fussy. she was an outdoor/indoor cat which is probably why she never got overweight, she had lots of excerise,

This year I got a cat from the dspca who recommended i only feed the cat dry food, and pro plan was a good one to go with as the supermarket brands are not good for them. I will do as they say as the new guy has a bad tummy and he is indoor cat for now but i cant help wondering how my old cat lived for so long with a beautiful long haired coat and great eyesight for 21 years, which is quite an age for a cat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ciarak7511 wrote: »
    Best food for cats:

I had a cat that lived for 21 years and ate Whiskas, never overweight and had very few health problems, she did have kidney problems toward the end of her life but apparently this is common and they can function quite well on low kidney function, anyway it was difficult to feed her anything else cos she was quite fussy. she was an outdoor/indoor cat which is probably why she never got overweight, she had lots of excerise,

This year I got a cat from the dspca who recommended i only feed the cat dry food, and pro plan was a good one to go with as the supermarket brands are not good for them. I will do as they say as the new guy has a bad tummy and he is indoor cat for now but i cant help wondering how my old cat lived for so long with a beautiful long haired coat and great eyesight for 21 years, which is quite an age for a cat!
    People live past 100 smoking a pack a day but that does not mean there are not another 1000 who die before 50 due to the smoking.

In general what can be said is about the food quality of a food being poor or good. The same way you can say in general it's a bad idea to eat at McD (or worse) every meal every day for your life vs. having a varied diet of high quality ingridients the second option should in general be better for you. That does not mean someone can't eat there their whole life and live to 100+ :).

Advertisement