Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody here at Third Level with Back To Ed. Allowance?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am planning to go back with BTEA for the first year and take the Maintenance Grant thereafter. Are you on any other grants such as Council grants?

I'm 23 and unemployed, wondering what I'd be likely to receive weekly on Back To Education :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I am planning to go back with BTEA for the first year and take the Maintenance Grant thereafter. Are you on any other grants such as Council grants?

I'm 23 and unemployed, wondering what I'd be likely to receive weekly on Back To Education :P

Excuse my ignorance but why would you go on the grant in subsequent years. Grant is not as good as BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

Excuse my ignorance but why would you go on the grant in subsequent years. Grant is not as good as BTEA.

Is It not?? I was at DCU a few years ago and received the Maintenance grant for 1st year so don't qualify until I make It to second year.. Do you think I could get Back To Education for all 3 years of Uni.? :O I'm going to go to the Council's adult education councilors this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You get BTEA for the duration of the course, so if you are on a 3 year course you get it for all of it. Considering all the messing with the grant payments, BTEA is far more reliable. Gets dropped into my account on a weekly basis. No hassles at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

im on it, but as far as i was aware i was only entitled to it as i hadnt started any other third level course!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

so if you did a 3rd level course before you cant get the back to education, I was in college 10 years ago, does that mean I wont get the back to education this September if I go back to do a different course?

• Advertisement

as far as i am aware, however i could be wrong.... i do hope i am

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

back to education is only paid if you are progressing, if you have done a level 6 then you must be progressing to a level 7 etc. Otherwise you cannot get it... there is some sort of appeal if you went to college more than 5 years ago on this but i have never heard of anyone being successful. if you did a degree and got btea you will not get it to do another degree. If you did a level 5 fetac course, you will not get btea to do another level 5. it is to stop people being eternal students i think. HTHs

what if you dropped out of a course??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I did a level 7 ten years ago, I want to do a level 8 in a different course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

If you are progressing levels then you should be fine:

The approved full-time education course must lead to a higher qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications other than that already held. It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of persons seeking such qualifications for the first time. Reference should be made to the National Framework of Qualifications (see appendix 3) e.g. If a person holds a Fetac level 5 qualification, they must be progressing to a level 6 qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

bri007 wrote: »
    so if you did a 3rd level course before you cant get the back to education, I was in college 10 years ago, does that mean I wont get the back to education this September if I go back to do a different course?

If you didn't complete the course you should be ok. I had been in college before but never completed and am on BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What do you receive at the moment weekly?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

bri007 wrote: »

If you are progressing and doing a higher level course you might

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What do you receive at the moment weekly?

I get 143 Euro but I'm 100% focused on third level :P Saving to pay for It but It's tricky to save :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The rates were changed in the budget. People up to aged 25 can get a max of €160 / week. For everyone else they get the same amount of money as they would get if they weren't in college.

Just be aware that there is a systematic review of BTEA going on at the moment. According to the DSP BTEA section they aren't accepting any BTEA applications for processing at present. They hope to have the recommended changes sorted out within the next month so there could be more amendments to the scheme beyond those announced in the budget before Sept.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    The rates were changed in the budget. People up to aged 25 can get a max of €160 / week. For everyone else they get the same amount of money as they would get if they weren't in college.

Just be aware that there is a systematic review of BTEA going on at the moment. According to the DSP BTEA section they aren't accepting any BTEA applications for processing at present. They hope to have the recommended changes sorted out within the next month so there could be more amendments to the scheme beyond those announced in the budget before Sept.

Cheers I had no idea about that.
    Do you think there will be a radical reshaping?
    If It resembles anything like my Jobseekers payment I'll be able to
    get by.

No idea what the outcome will be. There's been so many changes to education funding over the last while its impossible to predict what changes will be made, if any.
    :)

paperclip2 wrote: »

Does this include those who are on it already and need to reaply next year?

No idea as yet. It will be a few more weeks at least before there's any info on it as far as I know. I'll stick it up when I get it.

• Advertisement

Does this include those who are on it already and need to reaply next year?

The budget changes on the rates don't - that is only for new applicants.

They did abolish the 300 eur book allowance though and that is for new and existing applicants

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcleixlip

Very important. Before you put yourself through hell - make sure you qualify for BTEA as early as possible. If you fall short, you can get an extra couple of days by asking the deciding officer to take into consideration the days between final date on your P45 and actually date of registered unemployed - they are accommodating on this. I still fell short by 4 days last Sept and had to de-register. It was heartbreaking. There is NO leeway what-so-ever for "pretty close" - either you make it or you don't. Check with your welfare office immediately, DON'T take the word of some FÁS guy of "ah, you'll be grand" - you mightn't be.

mcleixlip wrote: »
    Very important. Before you put yourself through hell - make sure you qualify for BTEA as early as possible. If you fall short, you can get an extra couple of days by asking the deciding officer to take into consideration the days between final date on your P45 and actually date of registered unemployed - they are accommodating on this. I still fell short by 4 days last Sept and had to de-register. It was heartbreaking. There is NO leeway what-so-ever for "pretty close" - either you make it or you don't. Check with your welfare office immediately, DON'T take the word of some FÁS guy of "ah, you'll be grand" - you mightn't be.

That's terrible :( I'm very sorry for you.. How ridiculous.. I've been out of work for a year and a half so I'll be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

That's terrible :( I'm very sorry for you.. How ridiculous.. I've been out of work for a year and a half so I'll be okay

Dont know if they still do it but I got a VTOS payment 4 years ago as I was on social welfare over 1 year. I got an extra 40 euro on top of my social welfare payment. Also, I completed two fetac level 5's in two years so I didn't need to progress the 1st year.
    When I started a college degree in 2009 I was the last year eligible for both the grant and the BTEA, I was rolling in it. Ahhh, the good oul' days.
    Anyways, look into VTOS.

VTOS has changed a good deal. Now you will only receive the same amount as you would on Jobseekers and for those who are long-term unemployed i.e. a year or longer they will get an extra €20 per week.
    However most of your text-books are usually provided on a student loan scheme.

Advertisement