Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

javascript dropdown

Options
  • 03-03-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Trying to create a slide in effect on a navigation menu anyway to do this without needing jquery docs or will that mean going in and coding it from scratch?

The one I have at the moment keeps messing it up,

pic of the menu included

243514.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You can do it with CSS3 but it wont work on older browsers. You'd be better off using jQuery. For what it's worth, if you're advertising web and graphic services I'd rethink your design, it's very 90's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

smash wrote: »
    You can do it with CSS3 but it wont work on older browsers. You'd be better off using jQuery. For what it's worth, if you're advertising web and graphic services I'd rethink your design, it's very 90's...

Could you explain what you mean by looks 90's when looking around at other navigation menus they all seem to be extremely simple by the looks of it, I just added this with a gradient to try make it look a bit snappier.

How would you suggest improving on it?

Not having a go here by the way just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'd improve it by making the font size smaller, removing the bottom left and bottom right border-radius, remove the gradient (especially on the sub-navigation, flat colours work best for sub elements) - it doesn't make it look "snappier" I'm afraid. If you have your heart set on the gradient, I'd suggest inverting the colours to have lighter color above the darker one.

Gradients are a good way to add depth to an element, if done right, e.g. making it look like light is bouncing off the element. Make the colours more subtle.

Obviously I'm just commenting on what I see from the screenshot, my suggestion may change if I saw the whole site, but thats what I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Agree with smash it looks outdated.

Here's a few examples of some nice/modern drop down menus

http://tympanus.net/Tutorials/CustomDropDownListStyling/index2.html

http://tympanus.net/Development/SimpleDropDownEffects/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Thing about the graident is that I have it switch depending on which menu item your hovering over, if you look at services you can see it switch so that dark touches dark when a button is being hovered over, I like those menu items you send me @redman85 will see about using a few of those in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have a look at some flat design samples, it really is more professional.

Advertisement