Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semesterisation?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

There is a very biased article in the Cork Independent about it. http://corkindependent.com/20130404/news/ucc-to-be-semesterised-S62377.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I'm not happy with this at all tbh, we were spammed throughout the year about operation transformation and every sort of assorted shíte, wouldn't have killed them to send out an email about their plans for this, which I would consider a much bigger deal. Might bang out a few strongly-worded emails before the year is over about this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Cian92 wrote: »
    There is a very biased article in the Cork Independent about it. http://corkindependent.com/20130404/news/ucc-to-be-semesterised-S62377.html

Wow, I left UCC last year and everybody I mention this to says "thank god we got out before it was brought in!"

It might be good for some academic reasons but it certainly ruins the "fun" part of college. UCD don't even have a RAG week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm so glad I'll be graduated before this is brought in. And everyone I've talked to about it is freaked over it. The quote in that article from the student who said that not a lot of study goes on during study month is bull****. The library is full every day with students studying. The problem of too many exams in May could be rectified with a bit more continuous assessment.

Why was there no info related to the general student body about all this? They must know that people won't be happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 megaFi0na

I really wouldn't like to see semesterisation brought in. Doing a study abroad this year where the university is semesterised and I am not a fan of it to be honest. Going into final year in September and don't want the study month to be removed! Having these changes in exams brought in and no study month for final year would be mank. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Ridiculously glad that it wasn't that way when I left! Long live study month... yes, sure the first week not much study happens but I found it a fairer system than if exams are failed at Christmas it impacting your progression to the next year - also, a lot of colleges who are semesterised charge for these repeats, is that going to be brought in too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

This was sent in Eoghan Healy's monthly email

Semesterisation

Semesterisation is to be introduced in the Academic Year 2014/15. It will consist of teaching and examinations for all incoming first years of that academic year being split into two semesters. The modules taught in semester one will be examined at the end of that semester, with exams before Christmas. Modules taught after Christmas will be examined in the month of May. There will be some changes made to the layout of the academic year. There is currently a lot of research being done on the effects this will have on students and this will be communicated in due course.

I'm guessing then the rest of the university won't be affected? I'm very confused by that email :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Now that you mention it I haven't gotten any emails from him all year or any of the all students emails, I must've disabled them somehow, now I'm thinking of all that I've missed out on. As for semesterisation thankfully I'l be graduating next year(hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Semesterisation is only coming in for first years. So if you started college under the current system, you'll continue with that system until you graduate.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Semesterisation is only coming in for first years. So if you started college under the current system, you'll continue with that system until you graduate.

Thanks for clearing that up :L Sleep deprived me didnt half understand it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 theglf

Thanks for clearing that up :L Sleep deprived me didnt half understand it :P

Semesterisation is coming in from 2014/15 for ALL students. It will reduce the work loads for exams by splitting the year in two. It will allow students to take a half year erasmus if they wish. It will also make managing courses easier.

I sit on the implementation group and a large media awareness campaign will be launched in September to inform the students of what is happening. This does not effect R&G week or any other event besides going back to college a week earlier in september and having Christmas exams in the last week of the first semester.

theglf wrote: »
    Semesterisation is coming in from 2014/15 for ALL students. It will reduce the work loads for exams by splitting the year in two. It will allow students to take a half year erasmus if they wish. It will also make managing courses easier.

I sit on the implementation group and a large media awareness campaign will be launched in September to inform the students of what is happening. This does not effect R&G week or any other event besides going back to college a week earlier in september and having Christmas exams in the last week of the first semester.

Read things wrong, idiot meee :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Can I just ask a very basic question then? Why on earth were students not informed of this months ago? Why did Eoghan Healy's email say that it was only first years getting this implemented? One last question, why have we as a student body not officially been told that we are being semesterised?

To be perfectly honest with you, if this is going ahead, so many people will be pissed off we didnt get a say in this. As for me, I'm going into final year in September, this is the last thing I need. Messing about with the current system is stupid and changing the calender without official notice is without a doubt crazy.

/rant.

if your final year is next month you won't be effected by this,

if it is next year you will

what i want to know is, we were told the book of modules was a contract we the students had with UCC in regards the content and layout of our modules,

so if they (ucc) wanted to make changes we could argue that the book of modules from our year of entry is what they have to adhere to,

could students who don't want semesterisation argue ucc are in breach of their contract as stated in the book of modules?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    if your final year is next month you won't be effected by this,

if it is next year you will

How will that work exactly? Final years in the academic year 13/14 will work on a different schedule to the rest of the university?

How will that work exactly? Final years in the academic year 13/14 will work on a different schedule to the rest of the university?

this year 13/14 will be business as usual,

semesterisation is starting in 2014/15???

its not that hard to understand :confused:

this year 13/14 will be business as usual,

semesterisation is starting in 2014/15???

its not that hard to understand :confused:

Oh, apologies, I read the dates wrong :o My bad! Super sorry if I sounded snappy :o

Oh, apologies, I read the dates wrong :o My bad! Super sorry if I sounded snappy :o

its ok, i was confused by your posts i thought you were saying next year was your final year from the way you said it hence why i asked to clarify my confusion :o

loads of people are freaking about it, i for one will find it easier to have modules broken down into pre christmas and may, as i have long term memory issues so study month did me no good whatsoever.

but can people effected by it demand UCC adhere to the contract aka the book of modules as presented to them in 1st year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theglf

its ok, i was confused by your posts i thought you were saying next year was your final year from the way you said it hence why i asked to clarify my confusion :o

loads of people are freaking about it, i for one will find it easier to have modules broken down into pre christmas and may, as i have long term memory issues so study month did me no good whatsoever.

but can people effected by it demand UCC adhere to the contract aka the book of modules as presented to them in 1st year!

This implementation has no effect on your book of modules contract. Modules are allowed to adjust time frame and assessment before the start of term each year. The learning content which cannot be changed is not being changed.

There is absolutely nothing to freak about it. The Student Union Rep is the Education Officer. The university is legislated to implement it as part of the strategy for higher education as we are the only HEI that hasn't.

Advertisement