Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭soundmangar

I love blur. They were great, I loved the set. Unfortunately the sound was appalling. Not hearing Graham Coxon's guitar for the first 5 songs was completely unacceptable, not hearing Damon's vocal, the same(I was in the pit). The bar was crazy, Q's for days, why was it so narrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Brilliant set, the band themselves were incredible, but christ almighty the organisation was laughable. So irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rob hawk

Hey guys,

Reading some of your comments just now and I had planned on airing my grievances about the sound of the gig but went on the pishh instead!

So there seems to be a general consensus that unless you were in the pit you really didn't get the energy you would expect from a live gig of this scale.

I come from a kinda sound engineering background so I am a little bit more anal about sound quality than your average gig goer. I knew something was definitely off and found it hard to believe it could be the sound engineers fault. I was outside, front off the VIP pit(or or whatever you call it) 20 meters there or so from the stage. I was a little drunk, in great form but after 3/4 songs I was irritated enough to venture back to the sound engineer to vent my anguish. On my way to the PA box I questioned a few people at different areas about the sound levels and they all felt the same.

Of course I didn't get to speak to any authoritative figures behind the PA(wishful thinking at the time). However i did politely ask one of the bouncers beside the PA "what the **** is the story with the sound?" He actually was quite sound and empathised with my dissatisfaction. He told me that it was a recent issue they had with the residents about the sound levels. I asked why wasn't this an issue at forbidden fruit to which replied something along the lines of the positioning of the stage.

The keyword being recent! So this obviously insinuates to me it had probably nothing to with the sound engineers or the speakers but more to with the pre production of the event.

Its a real shame, it raises a lot of questions and I for one would like to hear and believe I/we are entitled to hear back from the Pod to what was the actual reason for low level of volume which many people on this thread have addressed already in some form or fashion.

I had a great night! It could of have had an amazing night. Although Blur were great they might of been even better if the sound was at the level are brains are usually conditioned for a live gig.

Loudness dissipates energy to sometimes insatiable moments of elation which can take audiences to a different level! This was the difference for me I think. Great gig, could of been an amazing gig!

R

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was in the pit all day, no issues with sound here tbh. Some energy going on in there and probably the best crowd I've meshed in with (probably because the average age of a lot of goes is higher than usual :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Not a big Blur fan but taught they were great. Lots of energy,have to agree though did think some songs were shortened not moaning though. The bar, jesus is this the norm now in this country. No hangover for me this morning no bad thing i suppose but id rather choose not to drink than not be able. SOund, shocking. I dont want to hear everybody around me singing.....i want to hear the singer, surely thats not asking to much.......well done Blur, fck off organisers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Great gig, sound was awful. Had to put up with two girls and two lads in front of me talking through all of Bat for Lashes set, so kind of ruined their set a little.

After the first several Blur songs the sound seemed to improve a little, could barely hear the guitar at first

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The sound was an embarrassment. Will they never learn?

The bar situation was an embarrassment. As above.

Blur were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We stood by the sound desk and the sound was fine. Agree that the queue for the bar was farcical.

Super gig though, really annoyed Blur and the end of Bat for Lashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Surely it makes sense to allow people to bring a few of their own cans of beer? This would ease the pressure on the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭soundmangar

The Nal wrote: »
    The sound was an embarrassment.

The bar situation was an embarrassment.

Blur were great.

This pretty much sums it up. Promoters get away with murder, it was really obvious that the sound level was limited, there was prob a guy outside with a DB meter monitoring it because it was fluctuating all night.
    It's a residential area, I can understand why it would be limited (kids/babies asleep etc) so why pick that venue?
    The bar situation was a mystery, looked like they were pulling pints to order, just pull loads at a time, they are gonna be sold!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

On the subject of the supposed shorter songs:

I would guess that was due to the curfew and trying to fit in as many as possible from their intended set.

There were some pretty long versions aswell so no complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The sound was a bit low for the first two songs, but definitely improved and got louder during There's No Other Way when each instrument and the vocals became clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Great gig, sound was awful. Had to put up with two girls and two lads in front of me talking through all of Bat for Lashes set, so kind of ruined their set a little.

After the first several Blur songs the sound seemed to improve a little, could barely hear the guitar at first
    in fairness it wouldn't have taken much to drown out bat for lashes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I got there bright and early and didn't even realise i had a pit pass until i got in...I guess it was a different gig altogether in the pit, i could hear everything fine...looks to me that this was meant to be a smaller gig, but they kept on selling tickets until the size of the crowd out grew the PA volume. Kept hearing "how come this hasn't sold out?" ...because they kept selling tickets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

panama wrote: »
    However, what the hell is with people standing up having full blown conversations, often whilst nonchalantly facing away from the stage when the main act, the band I expect they've paid 70-80 quid approx to see are on stage in front of them?? It beggars belief.
    Do they actually enjoy themselves?
    I have to ask because I saw it on many occasions. What is it with Irish people and the constant need to be engaged in conversation. Ah I dunno.

Same issue in the Springsteen thread..........and i cannot for the life of me understand it either........

one of my pet peeves with regards to gigs, Blur were 70 quid and the Boss a tonne, but people still with their backs to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

"Great gig, could have been an amazing gig."

I think what rob hawk said above captures it all perfectly. Sound levels were all over the shop for the first 4/5 songs, improved as the gig went on but definitely wasn't loud enough. Staging outdoor gigs in windy Ireland is always a risk, it would make you think twice in future.

The Bar - I wasn't drinking so didn't care but it looked like an absolute clusterf**k, queue out the entrance to the arena. Apparently it crossed with the bathroom queue aswell. Organisation of gigs in this country is a joke, head to a few on the continent and you'll get a picture of how things should run properly. Couple that with the average Irish gig-goer's insatiable thirst and you get ridiculous setups like last night.

Blur put on a great show in fairness, they've a great catalogue to choose from. Surprised it wasn't a complete sellout given it's their only date in Ireland and the UK, plenty of tickets floating around all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Fan's eye view of Parklife - great crowd:

http://vimeo.com/71561690

Sorry to be guilty of videoing but I wanted to show my little kids that their parents aren't old farts & what gigs are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I got there bright and early and didn't even realise i had a pit pass until i got in...I guess it was a different gig altogether in the pit, i could hear everything fine...looks to me that this was meant to be a smaller gig, but they kept on selling tickets until the size of the crowd out grew the PA volume. Kept hearing "how come this hasn't sold out?" ...because they kept selling tickets!!

I got this impression too. I was driving to the gig at about 6.15-6.30 yesterday and there was an ad on the radio for it!

Regarding the sound, I'm more grateful than ever now that I was in the pit and in front of one of the speakers! No real issues with it at all. Also, being in the pit helps you avoid the "eventers"/conversationalists, based on my recent trips to Springsteen and Blur. I'll be doing my damndest in future to get in the pit where applicable. :)

To the young one who insisted on roaring "You f*cking rock!" after every Bat For Lashes song, thanks for the LOLs, and to the redhead in the stripey top, thanks for the view. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Casey87 wrote: »
    **** sound, **** bar, **** gig! Blur are average, with a handful of hits! Waste of my time and money!

I wonder were you the guy standing in front of me. Stood there with his hands in his pocket for the entire gig. Complained and gave dirty looks to anyone who bumped into him. No idea why he was there.

It's a pity that so many people has issues with the sound, it seemed to be the people up near the front though? Halfway down near the speakers it was absolutely fine.

I left just as Song 2 started so was just ahead of the main exit crowd. I heard it was a mess getting out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Pros:
    Great prformance by the lads
    Despite ominous clouds, never rained :)
    Quite liked the venue

Cons:

Sound could have been louder
    As a result could hear people talking sshiite beside me
    Camera and phones with cameras should not be allowed in, so annoying having idiots taking pics and recording shiity videos in front of me.
    Mile long queues for a piissy 400ml plastic glass of piissy beer - no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I left just as Song 2 started so was just ahead of the main exit crowd. I heard it was a mess getting out?

I got out fine, but there were a couple of bottle necks that slowed it down alright...

For me the sound seemed fine, and i was a good bit back ,we lost one of our group so had try and find him so were unable to push up further:(

Serious gig tho, blur were so much better than I was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I thought it wasn't too bad, slow enough but not too stressful as long as you weren't in a mad rush.

KungPao wrote: »
    Pros:
    Mile long queues for a piissy 400ml plastic glass of piissy beer - no thanks.

I've given up on bars at Irish gigs a long time ago. Naggin of Hennessy down the pants does the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Getting out the Royal hospital/ Hilton exit was a disaster. The arch was very dangerous. Fair play to the copper who single handedly sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Casey87

I wonder were you the guy standing in front of me. Stood there with his hands in his pocket for the entire gig. Complained and gave dirty looks to anyone who bumped into him. No idea why he was there.

It's a pity that so many people has issues with the sound, it seemed to be the people up near the front though? Halfway down near the speakers it was absolutely fine.

No dude that def was not me, I tried make the most of it but just didn't do it for me I'm afraid! I have the right to an opinion you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,906 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Albarn is a bloody genius.
    When brit pop was going on , his brain was at another level. The layers and variety in the songs were fantastic.
    Great gig , too narrow a venue.
    Drink a joke.

Thank God the weather held off, would have been a real mess in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

uphillonly wrote: »
    Fan's eye view of Parklife - great crowd:

http://vimeo.com/71561690

Sorry to be guilty of videoing but I wanted to show my little kids that their parents aren't old farts & what gigs are like.

Don't feel guilty about videoing!:)

Videos like yours capture the good buzz you can get from live music!:)

There's a similar youtube video from when Erasure played Electric Picnic in 2007

I highly suspect that many people complaining about people videoing at gigs will also consult youtube to check out a band, on their current tour, prior to seeing them live.

Also, check out these clips by Conor Talbot of Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine from the Button Factory two years ago, videos which reminded me what a great gig it was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXHq2WnTPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjdCQbnxgjg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭paulbok

blur were fantastic, hadn't a problem with the sound where we were, (left of the center tower) but did notice some songs being player faster than normal (I know live gig songs are usually a little faster but this was really noticable) esp. Parklife.
    didn't spoil it or anything though.
    Really nice bonus that Mr Daniels was there and that the rain held off.

Shambles of organisation though, venue too narrow, the bar was a farce, different promoter and all that but if that bar setup is at oxegen, the UN peacekeepers will have to be brought in. Just as well it was a mostly older and more patient crowd.
    Took 15 mins just to find the end of the queue, gave up then and stayed sober. Probably took a little longer to get into the gig because of that.

Also having the entrance to the toilets right beside the exit from the bar was another master stroke:rolleyes:.

The exiting was the worst though, again with a younger crowd, there would have been chaos. seen 2 sets of security arguing on the way out about where the crowd was supposed to be directed, some didn't seem to know.

First time at a gig in Kilmainham but don't think I'd go to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

You really think this is what they were doing? Selling unlimited numbers of tickets?

Advertisement