Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thought the gig was great, first time seeing Blur and they were on top form. Played all the songs I wanted to hear too. No issues with sound for me, but then again I was really close to the front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

KungPao wrote: »
    Pros:

Camera and phones with cameras should not be allowed in, so annoying having idiots taking pics and recording shiity videos in front of me.

Let's be honest that's not really plausible is it.

We queued up for the bar, got there, ordered 2 pints of Becks, best of a bad lot and it took at least 5 mins for the girl who took the order to get them as they had none freshly pulled and there seemed to be a lot of confusion between the staff handling different orders.

Which means a queue within a queue backed up behind me.

So it was a bit messy.

I've already posted my feelings on the gig as a whole so sorry to be repeating myself, at the end of the day despite the crappy bar queues, the
    surprise of seeing the pit and the disappointment of not being able to get up closer to the stage, the relatively poor sound early on and the people talking throughout songs and seemingly disinterested facing away from the stage, Blur were awesome and that's who I paid in to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

OhHiMark wrote: »
    You really think this is what they were doing? Selling unlimited numbers of tickets?
    yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Bat for Lashes and Blur were brilliant. If I knew there was a pit I would have got there early as planned but I decided to get some non festival grub before going in.

I thought the organisation of the site was very poor. The bar queues were ridiculous and not opening additional exits at the end was taking the p!ss. Everyone bottlenecking to get out. A friend of mine had some guy digging into his back and the guy nearly started a fight when my friend told him to cop on, it was all pushing and shoving.

For a gig that wasn't sold out and was being advertised to the very last minute and many competitions in the last few weeks to get more punters in, it was packed. Uncomfortably so for the whole of Blur's set where I was.

But ultimately, the band were awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Great gig. Sounds was perfect in the pit, wasn't aware if any issues till reading this thread. Bar was an absolute joke, they're doing themselves out of money by having poor bar staff and not enough bars. Think the stage position fir forbidden fruit is much better, assume that they reckon they could keep selling more tickets by putting the stage st that end tho. Don't think they'd have been able to put a pit in if it was at the bottom of the hill tho. Only went in early because the bat service in Murrays beforehand was an absolute joke, worked out okay tho, never normally get pit passes.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I got there bright and early and didn't even realise i had a pit pass until i got in...I guess it was a different gig altogether in the pit, i could hear everything fine...looks to me that this was meant to be a smaller gig, but they kept on selling tickets until the size of the crowd out grew the PA volume. Kept hearing "how come this hasn't sold out?" ...because they kept selling tickets!!
    not likely.
    the event licence needs to be submitted with specified max capacity, and various services/facilities for every X amount of people there, as well as for the local authorities/Gardaí to plan their resources.

it just quite clearly didn't sell as many as POD had hoped for, which was evident from the amount of ads and competitions over the last few weeks.

not likely.
    the event licence needs to be submitted with specified max capacity, and various services/facilities for every X amount of people there, as well as for the local authorities/Gardaí to plan their resources.

it just quite clearly didn't sell as many as POD had hoped for, which was evident from the amount of ads and competitions over the last few weeks.
    it seemed busier than ususal though, the place was jammers

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭weser777

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Same issue in the Springsteen thread..........and i cannot for the life of me understand it either........

one of my pet peeves with regards to gigs, Blur were 70 quid and the Boss a tonne, but people still with their backs to the stage.

just typical scenesters...wanna go cos its the thing to do, but then they're there, n they have no interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Partagas

The Bottlenecks at the Hilton Exit were just dangerous, You couldn't even see the gate and the crowd did not move for about 20 minutes, Not sure if the gate was locked and then opened? But that was just dangerous.. Thank god there was no crush, Would have been much better if they played the 02..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

panama wrote: »
    Let's be honest that's not really plausible is it.

Oh I know, just wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

Will Bat for Lashes be back for her own headliner do yiz think??...she was fantastic!

weser777 wrote: »
    just typical scenesters...wanna go cos its the thing to do, but then they're there, n they have no interest...
    yeah but seriously it's a free country, many people get free tickets and go for the day out....any gig bigger than 3000 people is going to have a large percentage of knobheads that have no interest in the gig. just move ..

yeah but seriously it's a free country, many people get free tickets and go for the day out....any gig bigger than 3000 people is going to have a large percentage of knobheads that have no interest in the gig. just move ..

they're at every gig - whether they're there yappin away through the whole set, or else they've got their ipads/iphones out recording it..

I just always seem to be near them..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Partagas wrote: »
    The Bottlenecks at the Hilton Exit were just dangerous, You couldn't even see the gate and the crowd did not move for about 20 minutes, Not sure if the gate was locked and then opened? But that was just dangerous.. Thank god there was no crush, Would have been much better if they played the 02..

Irish promoters for you. Once they have your money they just basically tell you to **** off in whatever direction you can. Slane is the same every year, as is the Pheonix Park.

weser777 wrote: »
    Will Bat for Lashes be back for her own headliner do yiz think??...she was fantastic!
    hope so, it's been ages since she did her own gig (if ever?), all festival/support slots for as long as I can remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

KungPao wrote: »
    Pros:
    Great prformance by the lads
    Despite ominous clouds, never rained :)
    Quite liked the venue

Cons:

Sound could have been louder
    As a result could hear people talking sshiite beside me
    Camera and phones with cameras should not be allowed in, so annoying having idiots taking pics and recording shiity videos in front of me.
    Mile long queues for a piissy 400ml plastic glass of piissy beer - no thanks.

Whilst I know what you mean I did take photos I had pretty much no view being that I'm a short arse and was not right up the front

The zoom on my camera is pretty good so I was able to use it to take photos of the screen and even one or two of the stage over the sea of heads

If I didn't do that I wouldn't have seen anything at all bar the occasional flash of light. I hope it wasn't too annoying for other people

The sound could have been better too. I was near to a crane , hoist type thing which had a bank of speakers on the far side - could have done with a corresponding one on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Laneyh wrote: »
    Whilst I know what you mean I did take photos I had pretty much no view being that I'm a short arse and was not right up the front

The zoom on my camera is pretty good so I was able to use it to take photos of the screen and even one or two of the stage over the sea of heads

If I didn't do that I wouldn't have seen anything at all bar the occasional flash of light. I hope it wasn't too annoying for other people

The sound could have been better too. I was near to a crane , hoist type thing which had a bank of speakers on the far side - could have done with a corresponding one on the other side.

There's no harm in taking a few pics at a gig. It's the people who watch the entire set through their phones can be a bit annoying.

I remember seasick Steve stopping mid song one night an asking these people what the **** they were doing. There was a marked absence of phones for the rest of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That was awesome. They even sneaked in a few seldom played songs :)

An no rain! Huzzah! Anyone hear Damon's rain reference in Trimm Trabb?

It was like Damon was doing a rain dance to ward off the rain, and it worked :)

Brilliant gig. There's no other way and Tender were my two favourites. I loved the milk carton in the crowd for coffee and TV.

I was a bit disappointed they didn't play On your own and Charmless man, but I'll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

it seemed busier than ususal though, the place was jammers

Ah well as long as you've done some scientific research to back up your claim.

There is absolutely no way that they sold more tickets than the license allowed them to, as they would not get another license for another gig again, or they would be heavily fined.

Ah well as long as you've done some scientific research to back up your claim.

There is absolutely no way that they sold more tickets than the license allowed them to, as they would not get another license for another gig again, or they would be heavily fined.
    How many people was it licensed for?

• Advertisement

How many people was it licensed for?

10,000 I think.

10,000 I think.
    so there was no way on earth there was more than 10000 there last night?

so there was no way on earth there was more than 10000 there last night?

Who knows, the point is that they wouldn't have sold more tickets than they were licensed to. Why would they have been giving away so many tickets over the past few weeks if it was sold out?

Who knows, the point is that they wouldn't have sold more tickets than they were licensed to. Why would they have been giving away so many tickets over the past few weeks if it was sold out?
    I heard from staff there was 20,000 capacity last night. I felt there was a little more.

I'm just going to stop now because I can't argue against your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

hope so, it's been ages since she did her own gig (if ever?), all festival/support slots for as long as I can remember...

Yeah. It's getting ridiculous. Why is nobody getting her over to do her own show? She did a huge tour of the UK in support of the new album, even playing small towns.
    Her last four appearances here were support for Radiohead in Malahide Castle, Electric Picnic (which she cancelled), Electric Picnic last year and now as support for Blur.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I got in around 7 and strolled to the bar for a drink no hassle. 20 minutes or so later it was nuts. Very badly organised.

No problems with sound where I was (not far from the mixing desk).

Some people in front standing with their backs to the stage for about the first 6 or so songs. Don't quite understand what they have to say to their friends that's so important it's causing them to ignore the band they paid money to see but there you go.

Really enjoyed the gig.

Getting out by the Hilton was dangerous - can't believe it was so badly organised and as someone has said previously if it was a younger, rowdier crowd there was a real chance of injury there.

By and large a great evening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Great performance by Blur, didn't notice any sound problems,the que for bars were a pisstake and the exits were poorly organised, I presume something went wrong with that.

Back to Blurs performance, heard eveything I wanted especially End Of A Century, that was the song that got me into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Got there early.

No queue for the bar the first 3 times I went, last time after Bat for Lashes finished I was about 10 minutes which wasnt too bad. Anybody who thinks the bar system was a mess should have been at The Stone Roses in Heaton Park on the Friday to see what a mess that was.

The sound was good where I was. Thought Blur gave a very good performance, really put it in and looked like they enjoyed it. Nice to hear the likes of Trimm Trabb and Caramel as well as the more popular songs.

Again, as I was in the pit we got out very quickly and safely so didnt have the trouble others seemed to have.

And on the crowd numbers, I heard the security man say there was 5000 capacity in the pit area. Surely there were 3 times that behind the pit area - so 20,000 would seem a reasonable figure to me.

Advertisement