Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur 2013

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

The sound level seems to be a big problem in outdoor gigs in the city. They obviously have to reduce the loudness due to residents nearby.

Had same problem at neil young gig in rds, could barely hear the man.

Defeats the purpose of these types of bands playing in dublin city, can they not be in a marquee instead like kraftwerk were in kilmainham a few years back. The sound level at that gig was perfect.

Bands like Blur, just have to be heard loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

3. T-Shirt price - not the band's fault, fine, but 30 quid for a t-shirt?! Are you taking the piss? Just your bog standard t-shirt with 'Blur' on it, or one with an Irish date in which the venue was incorrectly printed. I know they are a mainstream band, hellbent on taking every cent that they can from the punter, but give us some credit.

5. Milky - Why weren't they selling these on their own?!?! They could have sold thousands!!! :)

On 3, unfortunately this is the norm for most gigs involving any sort of established act these days. If it's any consolation, I was at a gig in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago and the shirts were about €38.

Regarding 5, I thought I did see Milky for sale on his own (for a fiver!) at one of the merch stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Third time seeing Blur playing since 2009. A few minor gripes however.

3. T-Shirt price - not the band's fault, fine, but 30 quid for a t-shirt?! Are you taking the piss? Just your bog standard t-shirt with 'Blur' on it, or one with an Irish date in which the venue was incorrectly printed. I know they are a mainstream band, hellbent on taking every cent that they can from the punter, but give us some credit.

QUOTE]

As I understand it, the pricing of merchandise at any gig by any singer or band, is approved by the artistes or bands, along with their management, in conjunction with the merchandising company who sells the items.

I don't think it can be said that the bands have no control over the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

blastman wrote: »
    Regarding 5, I thought I did see Milky for sale on his own (for a fiver!) at one of the merch stands.

I really wish I had found that stand! The one right beside the door and the one to the left of the stage weren't having any of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

I think it IS worth criticisng them. But then, hey, I've seen them a lot more than most people. Therefore, I'm entitled to my opinion.

As I said, very enjoyable show. It just smacks of laziness that they couldn't be arsed to throw in something a little different.

Most people?! Is that why the pit was empty and the cues for the bar were around the corner for her set?! She was a bad support act. Most people felt the same (see, I can generalise too!).

Simple! Christ, I really hate the ilk of people who engage in putting "simple" at the end of sentences like that.

Anyway, I didn't buy a t-shirt. Apart from misspelling 'Irish Museum of Modern Art', they were a rip off. It was a list of gripes, not stuff I moaned about but then did anyway.

Again, I never called into question the calibre of the songs they actually performed (I'm starting to think you didn't actually read what I originally wrote). It could have been longer though. And, as mad as it sounds, they probably could have gone past the curfew by a few minutes. Like some form of "rock and/or roll" band, if you will.

SIMPLE :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;):p:confused: :mad: :cool:

Ooh, so you've seen them "more than most" and thus you are entitled to an opinion, what a snobbish remark. Does that mean people who've only seen them a couple of times should be disregarded then? I saw them in the RDS in the summer of 1996, supported by Supergrass, does that qualify me?

I was behind the pit for BFL and it was far from "empty". The bar queues were
    around the corner throughout. Have you not read the pages of posts about it? And she was terrific. (my opinion)

Oh and try to use a spellchecker next time. It's simple. ;)

• Advertisement

panama wrote: »
    Ooh, so you've seen them "more than most" and thus you are entitled to an opinion, what a snobbish remark. Does that mean people who've only seen them a couple of times should be disregarded then? I saw them in the RDS in the summer of 1996, supported by Supergrass, does that qualify me?

I was behind the pit for BFL and it was far from "empty". The bar queues were
    around the corner throughout. Have you not read the pages of posts about it? And she was terrific. (my opinion)

Oh and try to use a spellchecker next time. It's simple. ;)

Did I say that other people weren't entitled to opinions? No, I clearly did not. I merely said that I was entitled to an opinion because I had seen the band quite a few times. If you don't want to read what people have to say and would rather argue with what you wish they had typed, then go argue with yourself and save us all a bit of bother!

The bar queues were not around the corner throughout!! You were down at the pit wall, enjoying sh*t for lashes. You couldn't have possibly seen the disinterested punters!

I misspelled queue. You got me. In the interest of stooping to your vastly inferior level, this link is for you to study before you come back to us. Enjoy :pac:

The bar queues were not around the corner throughout!! You were down at the pit wall, enjoying sh*t for lashes.

How mature of you. :rolleyes:

How mature of you. :rolleyes:

NO YOU'RE IMMATURE!!!!!!!!!1111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Did I say that other people weren't entitled to opinions? No, I clearly did not. I merely said that I was entitled to an opinion because I had seen the band quite a few times. If you don't want to read what people have to say and would rather argue with what you wish they had typed, then go argue with yourself and save us all a bit of bother!

The bar queues were not around the corner throughout!! You were down at the pit wall, enjoying sh*t for lashes. You couldn't have possibly seen the disinterested punters!

I misspelled queue. You got me. In the interest of stooping to your vastly inferior level, this link is for you to study before you come back to us. Enjoy :pac:

Everyone I talked to at the gig thought she was great. I wasnt a fan of hers prior to the event but was seriously impressed with her. Also the queues for the bar weren't around the corner and the pit empty like you suggest
    pit was 3/4 full at least and I got served at the bar during her set in no time flat which was great cuz I was able to go back into the rapidly filling pit to see a support act most were enjoying :)

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Also the queues for the bar weren't around the corner

One of you is saying they were around the corner all day and night; the other is saying that there were no queues during Bat for Lashes! :D

I had my pit pass, and enjoyed a few pints during Bat for Lashes. But boy, did I have to queue to enjoy them!

Mad this, but EVERYONE I talked to at the gig said she was absolutely woeful. Crazy how we happened upon such different opinions at the same gig!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Just acquainted myself with the ignore function on here. Terrific option.

1375619157_Blur.jpg

Just acquainted myself with the ignore function on here. Terrific option.

1375619157_Blur.jpg

"Please pay attention to the fact that I plan to ignore you." You are the Maturity King!

One of you is saying they were around the corner all day and night; the other is saying that there were no queues during Bat for Lashes! :D

Aye weird, one person is going on about how blur put no effort into the setlist etc yet everyone else thinks it was a great one :pac:
    Mad this, but EVERYONE I talked to at the gig said she was absolutely woeful. Crazy how we happened upon such different opinions at the same gig!!!!!!!!!

Simple. Small sample size, if ye only talked to one person and that person happened to be yourself or someone equally as displeased with the support and they said they didn't like Bat for Lashes (see how it is spelled without the immature cussword ;) ) then 100% of people you talked to didn't like her.

Now I was talking to a few different groups of people throughout the day and after the event on way into town and they all enjoyed her bar one who was on the fence.

And they all saw Bat For Lashes more than most so they are entitled to their opinions :rolleyes:

Aye weird, one person is going on about how blur put no effort into the setlist etc yet everyone else thinks it was a great one :pac:

Simple. Small sample size, if ye only talked to one person and that person happened to be yourself or someone equally as displeased with the support and they said they didn't like Bat for Lashes (see how it is spelled without the immature cussword ;) ) then 100% of people you talked to didn't like her.

Now I was talking to a few different groups of people throughout the day and after the event on way into town and they all enjoyed her bar one who was on the fence.

And they all saw Bat For Lashes more than most so they are entitled to their opinions :rolleyes:

They put some effort in, obviously. I never said they put no effort in. It was just very lazy. The sort of laziness that makes Liam Gallagher look prolific.

But it is weird that you can't even agree on how many people in the crowd were bothered to go see Bat for Splashes (lolz) over queuing for a beer!

You've obviously studied sociology or political science anyway!

Bizarre that you spent the entire day of a Blur headlined gig chatting to people about a truly woeful support act. It almost seems unbelievable.

Did any of those people see Bat for Lashes in 1996 with Supergrass? If not, then their (probably) extremely well thought out, considered, well-punctuated, individual opinion (from the pit!) is to be discarded. Surely that much is obvious, at the very least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I thought Bat for Lashes was ****e

Weird support to shove between The Strypes and Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I wouldn't have been a fan of Bat for Lashes but I really enjoyed her set.

Everyone around me appeared to be enjoying it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

How can anyone not like Bat For Lashes?

Oh I know, if your taste in music doesn't extend beyond 4 lads in a guitar band and you feel insecure about enjoying music that is a bit different to most mainstream crap and that is made by a woman.

Anyway, it was Blur's gig and they were great IMO, even if the sound wasn't what it could have been. I missed the Strypes but I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

boynesider wrote: »

It seems there are indivduals on here who not only don't like Bat for Lashes but they have a real issue with anyone else enjoying her set. Strange. Each to their own I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wishing I unsubbed from this thread days ago. Some people's music snobbery is embarrassing, such twattish posts.

Wishing I unsubbed from this thread days ago. Some people's music snobbery is embarrassing, such twattish posts.

Its well within my rights to be a music snob, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY GIGS I'VE BEEN AT? LOTS? PROBABLY MOAR THAN YOU.. RAAAAARRRRR

:pac:

• Advertisement

Oh I know, if your taste in music doesn't extend beyond 4 lads in a guitar band and you feel insecure about enjoying music that is a bit different to most mainstream crap and that is made by a woman.

Anyway, it was Blur's gig and they were great IMO, even if the sound wasn't what it could have been. I missed the Strypes but I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing??

You've changed my life sir. I thank you. I think I'll spend the money I was going to spend on my p*nis enlargement surgery on Haim and Blondie records. No more insecurity for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Its well within my rights to be a music snob, DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY GIGS I'VE BEEN AT? LOTS? PROBABLY MOAR THAN YOU.. RAAAAARRRRR

:pac:

You weren't at Blur in 96 pal. Hard luck!

You weren't at Blur in 96 pal. Hard luck!

Thats because I was 4.

Thats because I was 4.

That the Panama's Law I'm afraid. Unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The childish arguments in this thread are both hilarious and downright stupid in equal measures! :)

Good to see the boards bringing out the best in people!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The childish arguments in this thread are both hilarious and downright stupid in equal measures! :)

Good to see the boards bringing out the best in people!

Thankfully I availed of the ignore function and now I don't have to read the childish rubbish spouted by a certain poster a few pages back. I'd recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Thankfully I availed of the ignore function and now I don't have to read the childish rubbish spouted by a certain poster a few pages back. I'd recommend it.

I'd miss out on the laughs if I did that. Totally defeating the purpose of boards it'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

See, this make me so bloody angry. I love BFL, she has produced some of the most beautiful music of the past 10 years. But snobbish remarks like this make me embarressed to tell people I'm a fan, because they think I'll have a few point like this. BFL is not exactly the easiest act in the world to get into, and will never be topping the charts any time soon. That does not make people that don't enjoy her insecure about music made by a woman, what utter utter tripe! If those who just enjoyed chart music thought this, then explain acts like Adele or Florence & The Machine to me. By your comment these acts shouldn't be a success at all, because main stream music fans are intimidated by woman creating music :rolleyes:

I think thats the first time I ever used that bloody smilie.

People have different musically tastes, and someone not enjoying the flavour of the month from Pitchfork Media doesn't make their view lower than yours, it makes it different.

Superlative

• Advertisement
Advertisement