Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with uploading a theme to wordpress

Options
  • 03-03-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

I am having problems uploading a theme to wordpress. When I upload the zip file and try to active the theme it says in the installer part that the style.css file from the theme is missing. When I unzip the file onto my desktop however, I can see the css file. What can I do to get the theme to install

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

You sure it's in the right directory? (the css file)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

kala85 wrote: »
    I am having problems uploading a theme to wordpress. When I upload the zip file and try to active the theme it says in the installer part that the style.css file from the theme is missing. When I unzip the file onto my desktop however, I can see the css file. What can I do to get the theme to install

It's normally an issue that it's not in the right directory. Or else the theme was initially zipped incorrectly or zipped twice. If it was zipped twice simply unzip it once and try to reupload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's almost always that there's an extra directory level (i.e. it's in the wrong folder).

http://www.gradientpixels.com/wordpress-faqs/164-after-installing-your-theme-it-says-style-sheet-cannot-be-found

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Did you upload it using the upload facility in the admin theme settings page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

ok what directory should it be in and if I upload the zip file via the file manager what directory should the theme files go into.

I am trying to install it via the install themes section in wordpress, but it is giving me an error that a css file is missing so I need to install it manually, but what directory should the new theme folder go into?

would it be content or wp content or wordpress etc.

• Advertisement

I am trying to install it via the install themes section in wordpress, but it is giving me an error that a css file is missing

In that case, the theme is faulty. "style.css" is a required file.

You could create it yourself, but if an author can't get this basic requirement right, then I would forget about using one of his/her themes.

I have the css file as I had this theme before and used it before and found out what was wrong at the time, but now I cant remember. I moved the css file into a different folder I think as far as I know, but just wish to find out where I can move the css file now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Check the name, does it use capitals? Style.css?

The style.css file goes into the theme folder. As Kenny says, the file name is case sensitive (on Linux like hosts).

Thanks for the help. It seemed that it was a folder within a folder problem as somebody mentioned above. Now the theme was used with an older version of wordpress, but some functions such as menus etc in wordpress dont seem to work properly.- would this be common, it looks like the theme was never updated.

• Advertisement

It seemed that it was a folder within a folder problem as somebody mentioned above.

I knew it. Typical :)

Now the theme was used with an older version of wordpress, but some functions such as menus etc in wordpress dont seem to work properly.- would this be common, it looks like the theme was never updated.
    Yes. Custom menus are a relatively recent addition to Wordpress. They would be unsupported in an older theme.

Advertisement