Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Suggestions

• 03-03-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I sold my trusty Honda CBF500 back in November and regret doing so ever since. The insurance was out and I was unemployed with a car on the go as well. The car insurance is now out this month and I'm itching to get back on two wheels.

I've about €2500 to spend and am looking for something in the 500/600 category that won't be too expensive to insure. I've a full licence with my restriction up in September. I was thinking maybe a Suzuki SV65O, I'm a big fan of the faired model. I was also thinking a Yamaha Frazer maybe. Both would be around 2005 ideally. Any other suggestions for me? I'd love a CBR or GSXR maybe but the insurance would be killer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

Test drive an SV first. I had a hornet 250 for 2 years and looooved the SV650S (05). I went and bought one that looked amazing (every conceivable extra, GSXR front end, all black) but I just didn't enjoy it like the Hornet. Sold it 9 months later for a Hornet 600 and 2.5 years on I'm still not bored.

Of course I know thats just me but I missed the feel of the naked bike. I found the SV uncomfortable and a coont for commuting (and I'm only 5'9). The sporty bikes are a different animal all together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

robot7080 wrote: »
    Test drive an SV first. I had a hornet 250 for 2 years and looooved the SV650S (05). I went and bought one that looked amazing (every conceivable extra, GSXR front end, all black) but I just didn't enjoy it like the Hornet. Sold it 9 months later for a Hornet 600 and 2.5 years on I'm still not bored.

Of course I know thats just me but I missed the feel of the naked bike. I found the SV uncomfortable and a coont for commuting (and I'm only 5'9). The sporty bikes are a different animal all together!

I actually quite like the Hornet as well, I take it you'd highly recommend one then?

I was looking at something like this naked Yamaha FZ too. This one is just outside my budget though.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/2004-yamaha-for-sale/2137668?notification=63989e3ad710ac2a56237c6257a084f1-1362407835#comment_13145265

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

highly recommend the fz myself.

Any opinions on a Kawasaki ER-6?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 duke 46

if you can go for the cbr 600 one of the best bikes you will ever buy you should get a r/cert for it dont fit it do send it on to your insurance you should get a few quid off just for the cert ive a bandit 1200 and the insurance is 255 so should be better for you

• Advertisement

I'd love something like a CBR or GSXR but I'm trying to keep insurance costs down at the moment. I may want to do a small bit of touring at some stage as well, so a sports bike may not be the most comfortable for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

duke 46 wrote: »
    you should get a r/cert for it dont fit it do send it on to your insurance you should get a few quid off just for the cert

And if you have an accident lose out on your cover.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8 duke 46

And if you have an accident lose out on your cover.........[ do what ya have to do

In that case, might as well ride around with no insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    And if you have an accident lose out on your cover.........

So if u dont claim upgrades like exhaust in your unsurance policy thats mean its not valid? I dont think so. No tech inspection you will only need to pay the difference. Between standart rate and adjusted.

So i think what you saying its not right but i may be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

In general, no lad with less than two years experience should ride an unrestricted CBR600 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

In general, no lad with less than two years experience should ride an unrestricted CBR600 IMO.

Why?

Just interested to know why you have that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

would you consider a z750? I have one and love it. Insurance should be cheap enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

Hornet 600 are a lovely bike to ride and own, I had mine for 2 years and it gave me plenty of fun and no hassle at all, just ate some tyres lol.

I moved onto a CBR 600 from there, lovely bike not the best for commuting though and heavy on the wrists. Went onto an R6 from there, that was very very quick but was worse than the CBR to live with.

So now I'm on a 2003 Fazer 600 and I'm finding this one to be the best all rounder of them all. Very comfortable riding position and plenty of go (600cc Thundercat engine and R1 brakes) and in general an all around fun bike. None of the bikes I've had have given me any trouble so to that end they were all good buys, be careful when buying that you get a good one. I paid €2500 for my current bike which may seem expensive but it is immaculate and I have no doubt I would still get €2500 for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I paid around 1600 for my 1998 first gen Fazer600. It's worth spending a bit more on these old bikes.

I've changed the fork oil and seals. If you add that onto the price it's about 1750 euro for it.

It's my second Fazer. I can't see myself ever moving away from them unless I went for a Fazer 1000. Although being 6'3 I do feel a bit cramped because my legs don't fit under the tank when changing gear or braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

P.C. wrote: »
    Why?

Just interested to know why you have that opinion.

Because I believe motorcycles are very dangerous. A CBR600 is capable of serious speeds in both a straight line and around twisty roads. It would take a very level head to not be tempted to push on and drive beyond your limits, which are quite low when you are inexperienced.

Just an opinion of course. People can do their own thing.

Because I believe motorcycles are very dangerous. A CBR600 is capable of serious speeds in both a straight line and around twisty roads. It would take a very level head to not be tempted to push on and drive beyond your limits, which are quite low when you are inexperienced.

Just an opinion of course. People can do their own thing.

Restricted Bandit 600 can still do quite comfortably 120kmph, on a small back road that would be suicide. Restriction only really limits your top revs, plenty of danger and speed in the bike before those top revs.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    would you consider a z750? I have one and love it. Insurance should be cheap enough too.

Yea, I definitly would. I really like to look of the newer Kawasaki's too. I'd consider a ER-6 or Z750, definitely.
    Hornet 600 are a lovely bike to ride and own, I had mine for 2 years and it gave me plenty of fun and no hassle at all, just ate some tyres lol.

I moved onto a CBR 600 from there, lovely bike not the best for commuting though and heavy on the wrists. Went onto an R6 from there, that was very very quick but was worse than the CBR to live with.

So now I'm on a 2003 Fazer 600 and I'm finding this one to be the best all rounder of them all. Very comfortable riding position and plenty of go (600cc Thundercat engine and R1 brakes) and in general an all around fun bike.

I'd definitely look at a Fazer but insurance quotes I've been getting on one are over €100 more expensive than on a SV650 for some odd reason.

Any opinions on this?
    Suzuki SV650 Streetfighter.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/suzuki/other-suzuki/suzuki-for-sale/2724478

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dceire wrote: »
    Any opinions on this?
    Suzuki SV650 Streetfighter.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/suzuki/other-suzuki/suzuki-for-sale/2724478

Nice looking bike, but I always suspect street fighters to have been a crashed bike fixed up on the cheap and sold as a street fighter.

Btw, I love street fighters but I'd rather make one my own.

• Advertisement

Nice looking bike, but I always suspect street fighters to have been a crashed bike fixed up on the cheap and sold as a street fighter.

Btw, I love street fighters but I'd rather make one my own.

I always think that too but isn't there a naked SV as well as the faired one?

Is there any way of telling if it is the naked model, from the tax book maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I always think that too but isn't there a naked SV as well as the faired one?

Is there any way of telling if it is the naked model, from the tax book maybe?

Looking closer and the head light assembly, clocks etc look straight and untouched.. A good giveaway can be universal headlight brackets, these one's look good.

It looks like a straight enough bike tbh.

Looking closer and the head light assembly, clocks etc look straight and untouched.. A good giveaway can be universal headlight brackets, these one's look good.

It looks like a straight enough bike tbh.

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell if a bracket was original or not.

I might be interested in taking a trip out to see this one if I can find a way out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So now I'm on a 2003 Fazer 600 and I'm finding this one to be the best all rounder of them all. Very comfortable riding position and plenty of go (600cc Thundercat engine and R1 brakes) and in general an all around fun bike. None of the bikes I've had have given me any trouble so to that end they were all good buys, be careful when buying that you get a good one. I paid €2500 for my current bike which may seem expensive but it is immaculate and I have no doubt I would still get €2500 for it.

I currently have a 2009 FZ6 and I love it, as was said its just a fabulous alround bike. I have toured a fair bit on it (mostly up north 400klm odd round trips) and I am sure it will be fine when I do Europe in the summer. Its quick and handles superbly when pushed.....

In my 1st yr on bikes with the FZ6 restricted I paid €499 fully comp with AON, never on a bike before and value of the bike was €5000. In my 2nd year now and I paid €340 fully comp with 1 yr no claims and a Grade 2 completed.

I would be very hard pushed to get rid of the bike I really would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

I actually quite like the Hornet as well, I take it you'd highly recommend one then?

I was looking at something like this naked Yamaha FZ too. This one is just outside my budget though.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/2004-yamaha-for-sale/2137668?notification=63989e3ad710ac2a56237c6257a084f1-1362407835#comment_13145265

Yeah it's a smashing bike. Bullet proof reliability, lots of poke, handles well, and a nice big fat tyre on the back for the twisties :D

I'm not a fan of the er6 - I just think they're dull. However I drove a fz before and thought they were a nice bike too. I happily have one but I think if you're looking for a good all rounder don't go too far from a hornet or fz. Plenty of value to be had nowadays... I'd get one in the next few weeks though - prices seem to inflate when (if :p ) the weather gets good.

robot7080 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a smashing bike. Bullet proof reliability, lots of poke, handles well, and a nice big fat tyre on the back for the twisties :D

I'm not a fan of the er6 - I just think they're dull. However I drove a fz before and thought they were a nice bike too. I happily have one but I think if you're looking for a good all rounder don't go too far from a hornet or fz. Plenty of value to be had nowadays... I'd get one in the next few weeks though - prices seem to inflate when (if :p ) the weather gets good.

Yea, I'd like to get something soon enough if I can find the right bike; don't want to rush it at the same time. Interested in the SV650 I posted above but a Hornet or FZ would definitely be of interest to me. Had a lovely CBF500 up until November and I loved it, should never had sold it. Their engines are bombproof as well.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In my 1st yr on bikes with the FZ6 restricted I paid €499 fully comp with AON, never on a bike before and value of the bike was €5000. In my 2nd year now and I paid €340 fully comp with 1 yr no claims and a Grade 2 completed.

How'd you get such cheap quotes? I paid over €900 for my first year with a full licence and getting quoted €800 now with 1 years NCB.

I was looking at this online today and got a pretty decent quote from Adelaide on it; just found out that it was previously dropped though :( Should this put me off as much as it seems to?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/fzs-600-fazer/2802726

Also, is there any value to be had by travelling up North to buy a used bike? Any good websites I could look at to see what's available up there?

I was looking at this online today and got a pretty decent quote from Adelaide on it; just found out that it was previously dropped though :( Should this put me off as much as it seems to?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/yamaha/other-yamaha/fzs-600-fazer/2802726

I've had a look at the link and the bike looks quite nice, however I would have the problem with the fact that the current owner does not know if it was dropped or crashed.

I would be worried what was the extent of the damage and who did the repair.

Without full info I would steer clear of it. Not saying the seller is not genuine but if he does not have the info you are the one taking the gamble.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I've had a look at the link and the bike looks quite nice, however I would have the problem with the fact that the current owner does not know if it was dropped or crashed.

I would be worried what was the extent of the damage and who did the repair.

Without full info I would steer clear of it. Not saying the seller is not genuine but if he does not have the info you are the one taking the gamble.

Yea, I knew there was a reason it was priced so well. I'm not willing to take a chance on it, especially when a faired SV is probably my first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

I'd definitely look at a Fazer but insurance quotes I've been getting on one are over €100 more expensive than on a SV650 for some odd reason.

I would say the reason for that is the power output, the SV650 is 70bhp and the FZ is 95 bhp. It's all down to personal taste really, if you want an SV more than any other bike hold out for a good clean one, you will get one and when you get bored of the SV it's an easy bike to sell.

Advertisement