Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

Here's my Fazer (and no it's not for sale lol). The Remus exhaust makes a lovely noise...

CB4A4157-A21E-4BC7-867E-CE2D6ECDF1A5-27161-00001A34F970D24C.jpg
    035934D6-DF0F-43F4-9C9B-A62C8693B4A9-27161-00001A350859AB76.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

The Fazer is a lovely bike, don't get me wrong, it's grown on me a lot over the past few weeks. I just have a slight preference for the look of the SV; but, to be honest, if I found a nice clean example of either at the right price, I'd probably go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

dceire wrote: »
    The Fazer is a lovely bike, don't get me wrong, it's grown on me a lot over the past few weeks. I just have a slight preference for the look of the SV; but, to be honest, if I found a nice clean example of either at the right price, I'd probably go for it.

But that is the old model (foxeye) the newer FZ6 is a better alround bike and has a nicer styling IMHO. Basically a de-tuned R1 as it shares alot of the same features. Link to newer model, not saying you have the budget for it.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4545684

Tbh I don't like the new shape Fazer at all, rode one before I bought that one and it just did not do it for me, engine note power delivery and styling not my cup of tea really.

As I said it's all down to what makes you happy, make sure you ride a few bikes before buying though to help you find out what exactly it is you want from the bike.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    But that is the old model (foxeye) the newer FZ6 is a better alround bike and has a nicer styling IMHO. Basically a de-tuned R1 as it shares alot of the same features. Link to newer model, not saying you have the budget for it.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4545684

This naked version is closer to my budget. I've about 5 months left on my restriction though, which is becoming an increasing pain in my ass as I've to factor the cost of the restriction into my budget.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4751087

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I don't like the look of the newer Fazer but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I wouldn't say no if one came along at a good price. But I prefer the older model and it's power curve.

^^ I think that's a pretty damn ugly bike. The screen is weird looking, colour is boring and it just looks dirty. The front wheel guard is black, maybe it should be gray like the rest of the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

having had a fully faired sv650s as my first and then a naked fzs up till recently, fzs is all round better imo.
    iirc the sv was classed higher than the fzs for insurance, thought strange, might have been the after market restriction tho ( non factory I mean)

no idea of the hornet myself.

kaimera wrote: »
    having had a fully faired sv650s as my first and then a naked fzs up till recently, fzs is all round better imo.
    iirc the sv was classed higher than the fzs for insurance, thought strange, might have been the after market restriction tho ( non factory I mean)

no idea of the hornet myself.

The SV650 is group 9 and FZ600 is group 11 as far as I'm aware.

Factory restricted bike if you can (in other words its on the logbook not a seperate cert)...save yourself a fortune on insurance even as a 1st time biker (as opposed to aftermarket). AON recognise factory restricted bikes and are very good with prices.

Factory restricted bike if you can (in other words its on the logbook not a seperate cert)...save yourself a fortune on insurance even as a 1st time biker (as opposed to aftermarket). AON recognise factory restricted bikes and are very good with prices.

Yea, in an ideal world that would be the plan but it's difficult enough to find a nice bike at the right price with even an after market restriction; never mind a factory one.

• Advertisement

True, it took me 2mths to get my 09 FZ6....got it with only 11,000Klms on the clock last June. There is nearly 40,000Klms on here now!

True, it took me 2mths to get my 09 FZ6....got it with only 11,000Klms on the clock last June. There is nearly 40,000Klms on here now!

Well, I sold the car yesterday and am completely wheel-less for the moment. Luckily, I'm not really stuck for my own transport at the minute; bicycle and bus will suffice.

So, the plan is to keep checking DoneDeal evey day in hope of unearthing a gem like yours; on less of a budget though :P

To get a bike restricted only costs a few hundred euro, I know a place that will do it for most and supply the cert, that might be easier way to do it, although factory restricted Bandit 600's are the most common factory restricted bikes and they are easily unrestricted after your licence restriction expires.

Just saw THIS go up online today. It looks like a very clean bike and it has a restricted ECU. I was hoping to maybe pick up a 2005 example within my budget but this could be okay if the price is negotiable. Any opinions on the pricing of this bike? Also, it has 25k miles on the clock which I realise is no indication to the condition of the bike but fear it could turn off people when I come to resell the bike; especially if I put big mileage on the bike doing some European touring.

Just saw THIS go up online today. It looks like a very clean bike and it has a restricted ECU. I was hoping to maybe pick up a 2005 example within my budget but this could be okay if the price is negotiable. Any opinions on the pricing of this bike? Also, it has 25k miles on the clock which I realise is no indication to the condition of the bike but fear it could turn off people when I come to resell the bike; especially if I put big mileage on the bike doing some European touring.

Nice bike very clean.....25,000 miles is nothing as long as the bike was looked after and it seems to be. I would not be worrying about putting miles on a bike that is EXACTLY why you are getting it. Ride it like you stole it when you get it, and worry about milage the day you are selling it.

I got my bike with 11,000klm on it just over a year ago....there is nearly 40,000klms on it now!

That is exactly what you are looking for, as long as the bike is clean and runs well I wouldn't mind the milage. Go and have a look anyway, I'd say you'd take it away for 2k. Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks, sounds like a genuine seller too.

That is exactly what you are looking for, as long as the bike is clean and runs well I wouldn't mind the milage. Go and have a look anyway, I'd say you'd take it away for 2k. Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks, sounds like a genuine seller too.

Yea, it is essentially the bike I'm looking for; if I'm being really picky I'd like a fully faired SV but now I'm just looking to have my cake and eat it too :D

Just a quick question on the restriction. The ECU is a kind of 'plug in and play' sort of job isn't it? Does it amount to a factory restriction in insurance terms or am I just clutching at straws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Yea, it is essentially the bike I'm looking for; if I'm being really picky I'd like a fully faired SV but now I'm just looking to have my cake and eat it too :D

Just a quick question on the restriction. The ECU is a kind of 'plug in and play' sort of job isn't it? Does it amount to a factory restriction in insurance terms or am I just clutching at straws?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXc0EcpeQpg

easy stuff mate

for the restriction part you need a certificate, to get the insurance discount. but once you have it you can kinda run it full power :)

so if the bike is something you like why not go for it. for me its a little to much miles but all depends on the service, if it was done regulary and if the bike had no 15 owners it should be ok.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXc0EcpeQpg

easy stuff mate

for the restriction part you need a certificate, to get the insurance discount. but once you have it you can kinda run it full power :)

so if the bike is something you like why not go for it. for me its a little to much miles but all depends on the service, if it was done regulary and if the bike had no 15 owners it should be ok.

I know I'm being super picky here but the mileage is putting me off a bit. It pretty much has everything else I'm looking for and I know that once the bike has been taken care of there's no real issue. The thing is, there's a chance I may want to sell the bike at the end of the summer, if I do some travelling before then on it. I think that the mileage would impact my chances to sell the bike and recoup most, if not all, of my money on it. Still, I think I'd live with that if I could get it for 2k; I don't see him dropping that much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Thats a member on here bike, i met him on one of the Sunday Spins with Mick & Gary during the summer

The bike is spotless, his username is Hornswoggle as far as i no mate

Hope this helps:cool:

• Advertisement

I know I'm being super picky here but the mileage is putting me off a bit. It pretty much has everything else I'm looking for and I know that once the bike has been taken care of there's no real issue. The thing is, there's a chance I may want to sell the bike at the end of the summer, if I do some travelling before then on it. I think that the mileage would impact my chances to sell the bike and recoup most, if not all, of my money on it. Still, I think I'd live with that if I could get it for 2k; I don't see him dropping that much though.

price wise you never know, you can ask and try go for 2k, as i mentioned before they are bikes with 15k and in bad condition and with 30k and still in great shape. the best will be see it in person, and get someone who knows a little more about bikes - i would recommend paying mechanic for recheck upon purchase, the extra € may be worth in long run.

and about your resale after summer. considering you wont make a lot of miles i mean not more then 5k the price will be more less the same, you could probably loose 100-200e at max but nothing to worrie about once the bike is grand. you will not loose the money, if its well minded and serviced regulary suzuki sv will last for long long time i mean much more then 25k.

i am quoting few lads from sv forums about thems milleage

Nimbus Mine is knocking on 80K and it's still going strong. Actually, I believe the engine isn't the weakest link. The entire bike feels a bit looser than it used to (I think, but it could just be the comparison with my 07 CBR). Anyway, I won't hesitate to take it on 1000 mile trips. Just did it this June.

Dnepr With good maintenance they can last 80k+
    I'd rather pick up a 5 year old bike with 20k miles that was maintained than 5 year old bike that was not maintained with 2k miles wink.gif

SD 650S I have 41,000 hard riding miles on mine. I'm not talking about gentle commuting miles, I'm talking about gunning from stoplight to stoplight, averaging 7,000 rpm shift points in normal riding, and occasional redline shifting on a regular basis with a 14T sprocket.
    This bike hasn't missed a beat, and the oil analysis I've done a few thousand miles ago attest to how well this engine is working.
    You can pick up low mile SV motors online for several hundred dollars, or pay to overhaul the engine once you hit 80,000 or so miles. I wouldn't worry about the mileage as much as proper care, proof of service, clean title, and a good once over by a mechanic.

Once again if serviced and looked after well 25k is nothing. and price will not be uch different between bike that have 25k or 30k .. so you aint gonna loose money.

my 2cents -

the ADD IS MARKED AS SOLD so i believe the bike is gone by now

price wise you never know, you can ask and try go for 2k, as i mentioned before they are bikes with 15k and in bad condition and with 30k and still in great shape. the best will be see it in person, and get someone who knows a little more about bikes - i would recommend paying mechanic for recheck upon purchase, the extra € may be worth in long run.

Once again if serviced and looked after well 25k is nothing. and price will not be uch different between bike that have 25k or 30k .. so you aint gonna loose money.

my 2cents -

the ADD IS MARKED AS SOLD so i believe the bike is gone by now

I know exactly what you're saying and, to be honest, I probably agree completely with you. I used to work with a guy who now works in a bike shop, might give him a shout and see what he thinks. He probably wouldn't be able to go look at it with me but might have some advice at least. He recommended my last bike to me and it was a gem. Still kicking myself for selling it.

Just noticed the whole SOLD thing now :(

I probably wouldn't have been able to see it until later in the week anyway but it must have been a nice bike if it sold so quickly. I need to move quicker next time I guess; and so the hunt goes on.

no need to move quicker, you can get a idea meanwhile and maybe a better deal will apear. anyway in this weather you woudlnt drive it anyway. so you never know. GL tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Just noticed the whole SOLD thing now :(

I probably wouldn't have been able to see it until later in the week anyway but it must have been a nice bike if it sold so quickly. I need to move quicker next time I guess; and so the hunt goes on.

That was my bike alright I sold it to the first person who came to view it on Wednesday night, it's been a brilliant bike, he's picking it up tomorrow morning and I'll be sad to see it go! The lad I sold it to said he had looked at a few SVs before mine and it was obvious they hadn't been maintained well so make sure to take your time shopping for one and go for the right example. Something will definitely come up soon if you hang in there mate! As regards reliability, mine never gave me a minute's trouble and I was commuting 50K + every day on it, just stick to Suzuki's service maintainence reccomendations, regular checks etc and you will have no problems with an SV650. If you have any questions about the SV in general drop me a pm, best of luck with your search, you are doing the right thing to research and consider first :)

That was my bike alright I sold it to the first person who came to view it on Wednesday night, it's been a brilliant bike, he's picking it up tomorrow morning and I'll be sad to see it go! The lad I sold it to said he had looked at a few SVs before mine and it was obvious they hadn't been maintained well so make sure to take your time shopping for one and go for the right example. Something will definitely come up soon if you hang in there mate! As regards reliability, mine never gave me a minute's trouble and I was commuting 50K + every day on it, just stick to Suzuki's service maintainence reccomendations, regular checks etc and you will have no problems with an SV650. If you have any questions about the SV in general drop me a pm, best of luck with your search, you are doing the right thing to research and consider first :)

Thanks for the post. Yea, it looked like a very nice bike, that SV of yours. I was about to pick up the phone and give you a call when I spotted that it had sold. I think my heart is set on a SV to be honest. I'm on DoneDeal and Adverts every day keeping an eye on what's going up. Hopefully something will come along soon enough, I'm concious that the prices may go up as we head into the 'summer'. I'm biding my time for now.

Thanks for the post. Yea, it looked like a very nice bike, that SV of yours. I was about to pick up the phone and give you a call when I spotted that it had sold. I think my heart is set on a SV to be honest. I'm on DoneDeal and Adverts every day keeping an eye on what's going up. Hopefully something will come along soon enough, I'm concious that the prices may go up as we head into the 'summer'. I'm biding my time for now.

well atm the market is very limited as the season didnt fully started yet - comparing the prices from last year, i mean the prices should go little down in next few weeks. I am also glued to adverts, donedeal,gumtree... checking on hours basis almost as i was doing the same last year.

i believe it will get better, but i may be wrong. people will buy more, sell more and bring more bikes from north/Uk

Currently looking myself at upgrading the bike but not alot out there for what I am after, and I am not selling my bike cheap either for the sake of it. If the right bike comes along then fine if not I am happy to plod along on my 4yr old banger!!!!

;)

Currently looking myself at upgrading the bike but not alot out there for what I am after, and I am not selling my bike cheap either for the sake of it. If the right bike comes along then fine if not I am happy to plod along on my 4yr old banger!!!!

;)

4 year old banger!!! :eek:

I should be so lucky to have a 4 year old banger :P
    What bike is it out of interest?

I am hopefully getting a 2009/10 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE with the luggage....absolute cracker of a bike.

• Advertisement

well atm the market is very limited as the season didnt fully started yet - comparing the prices from last year, i mean the prices should go little down in next few weeks. I am also glued to adverts, donedeal,gumtree... checking on hours basis almost as i was doing the same last year.

i believe it will get better, but i may be wrong. people will buy more, sell more and bring more bikes from north/Uk

So you think the prices may go down a little? I was under the impression that they'd go up given that we're heading towards summer. As for bikes coming from the North/UK; is it worth looking up North, value wise?
    I am hopefully getting a 2009/10 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE with the luggage....absolute cracker of a bike.

Lovely stuff, and what are you on at the minute?

Advertisement