Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am on a 2009 FZ6 which is a great bike, is comfortable and very stable and not too shabby speed wise.....its not so much the bigger cc I am after bit more room and storage TBH. I like the sit up and see position rather then head down and arse up. I have a road trip to Europe this summer and I do a little bit of touring in Ireland but nothing mental so it would be nice to have a bit of a bigger machine.

If I dont sell my own, I wont be dissapointed but it would be nice to have a change now me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

dceire wrote: »
    So you think the prices may go down a little? I was under the impression that they'd go up given that we're heading towards summer. As for bikes coming from the North/UK; is it worth looking up North, value wise?

1. i am not not sure yet about the value vise, but lower milleage and better nick in general yes in NI/UK - and history of UK bikes is trackable very easy - MOT -

2. i am 99.99% positive that the prices will go little down as the market will grow up. i am not dealer or seller but i had 5+bikes last year and i was more less glued over to donedeal and bike market and i can say the prices were much lower then they are now. so thats why i think or i am sure they will go down as the season will slowly kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cheers for the info.

I hope the prices do come down a little and more bikes go up; seems to be very little going up on a day to day basis. Especially so when you narrow it down to the types of bikes I'm looking for.

I travelled to Sligo for my last bike so I'd have now qualms about travelling up North if I was to get a good bike out of it for at least the same price as down here; after VRT of course :D

I was under the impression the closer you get to the summer the more expensive the bikes get....???

Saw this put up on Done Deal today.

It got me thinking, I know it's possible but would it be advisable to restrict a 1000cc bike? If I was to get an SV 1000, have it restricted until my 2 years are up in September, and then go back to full power.

• Advertisement

With the old laws it was possible but not with the new laws AFAIK....if you are over 24 and going the Direct Access route you might be able to get it and do the IBT module 5.

Send Lookbehindyou a PM he is an IBT instructor and will advise you.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    With the old laws it was possible but not with the new laws AFAIK....if you are over 24 and going the Direct Access route you might be able to get it and do the IBT module 5.

Send Lookbehindyou a PM he is an IBT instructor and will advise you.

I'm 25 and never needed to do IBT or any of that jazz. I got my provisional just before the new licence system came in; got my full A licence in September 2011 so the restriction is up in September this year.

Good stuff....I have a tidy Yammy for sale if you like them :D

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Good stuff....I have a tidy Yammy for sale if you like them :D

I this your "4 year old banger" :D
    I'd love to take it off your hands but I lack the cash required.

Just back on the SV 1000, there's no real 'issue' with restricting a bike of this size then? Would there be much of a difference when it comes to insuring a 1000 compared to a 650?

PM Goodlad off here....he recently took the restriction out of his SV1 he will tell you the difference with the before and after effects.
    There is no issue as in the mechanics of it, the only issue would be legal and insurance crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I didnt think big twins were terribly well behaved at low rpm/speeds - something you'd be sorta locking yourself in to by restricting it (Im guessing, someone more knowledgeble may correct me)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

The last time I saw a GSXR 1000 getting restricted it was done on the throttle, there was barely any twist in it was quite funny actually. If you really like the bike sure you only have to wait until September for your A licence restriction to expire and removing that restriction would cost feck all really. You should start getting out there and seeing these bikes rather than just online, sit on it see if it's comfortable for starters for your body size...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

When i had my sv1 restricted the only issue i had was at low revs when the bike was cold. Although turning up the idle and when doing low speeds i just held the throttle open and used more clutch rather than just closing the throttle.
    It wasn't really any hassle though, it was just something i got used to.

With the restriction off...well sweet jesus i near put the bike into a tree straight away :o

The Fi international restriction kit for the SV1 also has a throttle restriction (no ecu restriction on mine). So the first time i got to full twist that throttle it was like sitting on a rocket that went out of control pretty fast.

But yeah, i had no issues when it was restricted at all. And getting used to it once it was de-restricted was like a completely different bike.

The last time I saw a GSXR 1000 getting restricted it was done on the throttle, there was barely any twist in it was quite funny actually. If you really like the bike sure you only have to wait until September for your A licence restriction to expire and removing that restriction would cost feck all really. You should start getting out there and seeing these bikes rather than just online, sit on it see if it's comfortable for starters for your body size...

I've sat on the SV but never been out on one, size wise it seemed fine; obviously, I'd get a better idea being out on one. I was hoping to do some touring during the summer so maybe a restricted SV1000 might be a bit much; living with the restriction on such a big bike I mean.

Speaking of which, I don't understand the influx of SV1000's that are cropping up on DoneDeal and Adverts in the past few days. Barely saw any on there and then, all of a sudden, 6/7 go up in a matter of days :confused: No sign of any 650's though.

I've sat on the SV but never been out on one, size wise it seemed fine; obviously, I'd get a better idea being out on one. I was hoping to do some touring during the summer so maybe a restricted SV1000 might be a bit much; living with the restriction on such a big bike I mean.

Speaking of which, I don't understand the influx of SV1000's that are cropping up on DoneDeal and Adverts in the past few days. Barely saw any on there and then, all of a sudden, 6/7 go up in a matter of days :confused: No sign of any 650's though.

restriction is there for reason. you can still enjoy the bike for sure. dont be worried like its not gonna be fun or something. SV1000s will still sound lovely and probably last you much longer. if you gonna be confident, you can remove the restriction and enjoy the full powa. i dont see it as problem. you will most likely not suffer any lack of power at all.

and i tell you secret. if you wanna 650 there will be no1 on the market available if you want, once you buy diff bike there will apear plenty 650 to choose from, crazy in it?:)

Bikerguy wrote: »
    restriction is there for reason. you can still enjoy the bike for sure. dont be worried like its not gonna be fun or something. SV1000s will still sound lovely and probably last you much longer. if you gonna be confident, you can remove the restriction and enjoy the full powa. i dont see it as problem. you will most likely not suffer any lack of power at all.

and i tell you secret. if you wanna 650 there will be no1 on the market available if you want, once you buy diff bike there will apear plenty 650 to choose from, crazy in it?:)

Yea, it certainly feels like that now that I'm looking for one.

It's not just the restriction on the SV1000 but the increased cost of insurance too. Trying to keep costs down as much as possible. I do really like the twin exhausts on the 1000 though, maybe one day :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yea, it certainly feels like that now that I'm looking for one.

It's not just the restriction on the SV1000 but the increased cost of insurance too. Trying to keep costs down as much as possible. I do really like the twin exhausts on the 1000 though, maybe one day :p

My insurance on the sv1000 was mental with all companies apart from adelaide.
    They were pretty reasonable.

Tbh the sv1 sounds awesome. Its worth it just for the sound, lol

goodlad wrote: »
    My insurance on the sv1000 was mental with all companies apart from adelaide.
    They were pretty reasonable.

Tbh the sv1 sounds awesome. Its worth it just for the sound, lol

Yea, Adelaide seem to be the cheapest for me too.

I've been driving myself mad in the past day or two. Just finished re-watching 'The Long Way Round' for the first time in years and the weather is finally picking up; going mad to get back on two wheels and get out there :(

I hope that I don't have to wait to much longer to find what I'm looking for. Good things come to those who wait... right :o

Might call about this tomorrow. If it's clean, restricted, and I can knock a few quid off, it might be ideal.

Prices don't really seem to be getting any better. Still conflicting opinions on weather prices will go up or down as we head towards summer.

Okay, I think I'm finally going to see a SV tomorrow. Called about this one today.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4942761

The guy seems genuine but I was slightly concerned by him telling me that he has only owned the bike for 1-2 weeks. He said he took it as part exchange for a race bike he was selling and that he has the tax book. He said the guy that he bought if off of had bought the bike for his wife and that it has been barely used in the past 4 years as she didn't want it. Going to have a look at it anyway.

Also, the bike has a tail tidy but I would want a pillion seat; he doesn't have one for it. Are they easy to find and are they expensive?

• Advertisement

The seats r easy to find. Not expensive at all. Check ebay for them. The story about racing bike sound a little dodgy to me. Check how many owners the bike have had already. It can be seen in logbook. And bring someome who knows little about bikes with you.

The seats r easy to find. Not expensive at all. Check ebay for them. The story about racing bike sound a little dodgy to me. Check how many owners the bike have had already. It can be seen in logbook. And bring someome who knows little about bikes with you.

Unfortunately, the only people I know who know about bikes live in Kildare and wouldn't be available to come out with me; I'll be too busy to go at the start of next week too :rolleyes:

I've just asked the guy to send me on the number of the previous owner, it's sounds slightly dodgy to me too but we'll wait and see what his response is.

Think you meant seat cowl above..! Looks like it could be missing the left hand side pillion hanger too? Right one isn't as easily removed as the exhaust is attached to it

Got the number of the previous owner who part exchanged the bike, the story seems to check out, he was able to give me a good run down on the bikes history. He said that it's in mint condition with new tires, chain, and one or two other bits. It was stored in an office since last August/September. All he said it could do with is maybe new pipes on the radiator but he said that's just because he doesn't think the braided ones on it are great. Any suggestions as to what might need to be looked at or needs doing to get it back on the road after being in storage for a while?
    Wossack wrote: »
    Think you meant seat cowl above..! Looks like it could be missing the left hand side pillion hanger too? Right one isn't as easily removed as the exhaust is attached to it

Sorry, for my lack of terminology, but the pillion hangers are for the footrests correct? The previous owner said that everything is there for a pillion apart from a seat.

yea - pegs attached to hangers, and jsut looks like the LHS one is missing. Could accompany the bike though (removed as he has a cowl on it), but just be sure it comes with, if pillions are on the cards..!

reckon you'll get a rear seat no bother at all - they're oft turned into race bikes, so I'd say theres 650 seats aplenty if you were to stick up a wanted add on the various forums

Went to see the bike and it's very clean and runs well; had it out for a spin. Agreed a price on it and he's holding it for me until next weekend while I fish the money from my savings account. One thing I noticed that I would like to get opinions on is that the tax book is still in the previous owners name and it says that there were no previous owners. As far as I know, the previous owner did not own the bike from new. Is it possible that the bike is an import and this is the reason for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Friend of mine just got a lovely 07 Suzuki K6 1000cc with only 2,500 genuine miles on it for 4100 euro.

Full Complete Yoshi system and some lovely extra goodies on it too.

Had a good look around it this morning.

What a bike indeed.:D

Went to see the bike and it's very clean and runs well; had it out for a spin. Agreed a price on it and he's holding it for me until next weekend while I fish the money from my savings account. One thing I noticed that I would like to get opinions on is that the tax book is still in the previous owners name and it says that there were no previous owners. As far as I know, the previous owner did not own the bike from new. Is it possible that the bike is an import and this is the reason for it?

Check the reg number plate on motorcheck and it will tell u straight if its import- its free of charge. I woudlnt be worried once the bike is 100% ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If the taxbook is not in the seller's name, how do you know it's actually his to sell ?

Receipt & photo id, and take a pic of the id with your phone....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    If the taxbook is not in the seller's name, how do you know it's actually his to sell ?

Receipt & photo id, and take a pic of the id with your phone....

The guy selling it now took it as part ex for a bike he was selling last week. He had no intention of keeping the SV so never changed ownership into his name. He gave me the number of the previous owner who I spoke to, at great length about the bike. A little googling of their names and numbers etc corroborated their story about the bike that the SV was part exchanged for. Also, I'm 99% sure that the bike was imported from the UK by the previous owner which would explain it having no previous owners on the Irish log book, correct? The restriction done on the bike appears to have been done in the UK.
    Check the reg number plate on motorcheck and it will tell u straight if its import- its free of charge. I woudlnt be worried once the bike is 100% ok.

You have to pay for the info regarding imports etc don't you? The free check will only tell you the make and model etc.

Advertisement