Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honouring Sales when they marked the Price wrong?

Options
  • 03-03-2013 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I bought a bit of technology today from a website that accidentally listed it at a 10th of the price, do they have to honour the sale as I have received a receipt? They have in their terms and conditions that they don't have to honour the sales if there is a price error, but is this clause valid? I know under the UK trades descriptions they have to sell as is, didnt Tesco have to honour sales of TVs they accidentally sold way below RRP? What is the law here in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

You won't be getting a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If a retailer makes a mistake and the actual price for the item is more than that displayed the retailers have certain rights. They do not automatically have to sell you the goods at the price stated. It is the retailer's responsibility to correct the mistake as soon as possible. If the retailer knowingly charges more for a product than is displayed an offence may be committed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

MadsL wrote: »
    If a retailer makes a mistake and the actual price for the item is more than that displayed the retailers have certain rights. They do not automatically have to sell you the goods at the price stated. It is the retailer's responsibility to correct the mistake as soon as possible. If the retailer knowingly charges more for a product than is displayed an offence may be committed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

But have they not already sold it given they have issued a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i dont know where to put it.

If there is a product advertised at a price, but the price is wrongly too low, is the shop obliged to sell the product at this price?

Just a general query!

Thanks in advance!
    Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

No, it's an offer to treat.

However if they continue to offer the item at the low price, I think you may have a case for getting it for the advertised price.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i dont know where to put it.

If there is a product advertised at a price, but the price is wrongly too low, is the shop obliged to sell the product at this price?

Just a general query!

Thanks in advance!
    Gary

No telly for you.

Sorry an offer to treat? Could you explain a little more I dont understand thanks :)

mazzy maz wrote: »
    No telly for you.

Sorry telly? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Sorry an offer to treat? Could you explain a little more I dont understand thanks :)
    You made an offer for the tv i.e the incorrect price on website. The seller has the right to accept or reject the offer. Normally they accept. But if they put the wrong price on something (like in this case) they can reject,online they will give you your money back in a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

But have they not already sold it given they have issued a receipt?
    are you sure it wasnt an invoice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Think of it as a three way tranaction.

1. Seller advertises the item.
    2. You accept the offer.
    3. They confirm deal by taking payment

You probably won't get to point 3 and if you do, I expect their website T&Cs will have a clause for cancelling obvious misprices. However if it's in a bricks and mortar store once you've paid get the hell out of there.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

shanec1928 wrote: »
    are you sure it wasnt an invoice?

Sneaky beggars, it says 'receipt of your order' it's an order not an actual receipt, I misread it as receipt for your order

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merging the threads as they are the same issue.

dudara

Advertisement